How To Tell The Difference Between Gold Rings And Trash???

Bhogg

"The ear is the only way to distinguish a good target from the trash."

I would argue it's the eye. We're talking gold verses trash, we're not discussing music. 🙂

Saying you are able to tell the difference between gold and aluminum by ear is a little like believing you are psychic.

The ability can easily be proved or disproved using tests similar to the tests used for testing psychic ability.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am not kidding when I say that it takes ear, the metal detector speaks to you its language you have to learn it, the garbage has dry, torn sounds, certain gold objects have a round sound, I dug several targets with a good sound, then the surprise, if I had agreed with the vdi I would not have dug them, then the minelabs have an unmistakable sound, I have always preferred them, maybe it will be because I play music and I will have a trained ear but this is my thought.

• Like 1

I wish a Detector exist that would discriminate Trash from Jewelry…..wait…. there is …..it’s called dig it all 

• Like 3

Interesting thread.  I do agree that some detectors have a sweet sound to the ear for round gold ring targets.  But since there are so many types of gold rings and so many shapes or the way it's laying in the soil, the only 100% full proof way it to dig.

Now I have been able to up my odds at finding gold rings with certain detectors and or areas by ignoring some of the targets and sounds.  For example, take the pic above of all the finds on the green lid.  If the goal for me is to find a gold ring at that location, over half those targets I would not have dug.  They don't register in most gold ring ranges.  I would not have dug most of the coins, the silver rings, the toys, the bigger sinkers, the vape pipes or that many bottle tops.

My time at that site would produce much less targets, but the targets I go after would be what most gold rings read it.

There is no 1 way to find gold rings.  But there are way to up your odds and dig better targets possible of being a gold ring.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Xergix said:

I am not kidding when I say that it takes ear, the metal detector speaks to you its language you have to learn it, the garbage has dry, torn sounds, certain gold objects have a round sound, I dug several targets with a good sound, then the surprise, if I had agreed with the vdi I would not have dug them, then the minelabs have an unmistakable sound, I have always preferred them, maybe it will be because I play music and I will have a trained ear but this is my thought.

What numbers would you not dig based on VDI?

At the beach I generally dig everything 13 and up regardless of how it sounds and only ignore 12 and below when I get tired of digging non-ferrous trash.

Steel Lobster trap pieces will often ID as non-ferrous but can usually be identified by mixed low/high signals although some do sneak through and I have to dig them.

Deep gold that is right on the edge of detection can also have occasional low tones but will still have that nice gold sound.

Any time you pass up a small target with non-ferrous VDI, you take the risk of missing the precious metal.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

He did not reply, but I will tell the numbers I prefer to dig when using the Equinox.

EQRingID.thumb.jpg.64429c65196f9b7ce2ddd888c7c9d8fb.jpg

Gerry based on this photograph it appears that most of your gold rings have been found in the 12"-15" depth range and I need to start going deeper for the gold as I usually give up at 10 inches 😂

strick 

• Haha 3