How To Tell The Difference Between Gold Rings And Trash???

Bhogg

What numbers would i not dig based on VDI? all those unstable, those that also contain a small part of ferrous vdi, as I said it is not you who are looking for gold but it is he who finds you :-), I dug small 1.8 gr gold rings with vdi 2 , how many of us would dig a vdi 2?

1 hour ago, Xergix said:

I dug small 1.8 gr gold rings with vdi 2 , how many of us would dig a vdi 2?

As a beach hunter, I dig EVERYTHING nonferrous, without exception. I have learned over many years that salt, and black sand can make targets appear differently than other landscapes. If you're going for gold, there is no option to dig everything between 1 and 21. 

• Like 3

On 8/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, strick said:

Gerry based on this photograph it appears that most of your gold rings have been found in the 12"-15" depth range and I need to start going deeper for the gold as I usually give up at 10 inches 😂

strick 

Strick,  I need to sell you my DEEP GOLD RING Settings.  I'm sure not going to give it away.

I was just visiting Lake T in CA 2 days ago and was able to add 2 more Au rings to my collection.  They were deep too.🤫

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I was just visiting Lake T in CA 2 days ago and was able to add 2 more Au rings to my collection.  They were deep too.🤫

What size coil were you using?

Is it the coil size or the settings that help the most?

On 8/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, Xergix said:

What numbers would i not dig based on VDI? all those unstable, those that also contain a small part of ferrous vdi, as I said it is not you who are looking for gold but it is he who finds you :-), I dug small 1.8 gr gold rings with vdi 2 , how many of us would dig a vdi 2?

I said in my post that I dig everything above 0. That often means digging a lot of tiny trash which can be tiring. When I've had enough of that, I relax and dig everything 12 and above.

There are lots of conditions that can make gold sound unstable. A nearby tiny piece of iron or mineralized rock, or gold held within a conglomerate of sand and rust for example.

There is no point in trying to tell gold from other ferrous metals by sound. Iron is the only metal worth avoiding.

• Like 1

The pulltabs according to their condition cover a large part of the gold range I have many gold rings that are 13 id pulltabs in good condition

, I have tried several times to compare buried at different depths and there is absolutely no way to tell them apart and I don't have a bad ear Since I am a musician by profession and I have perfect pitch,

I know the musical note of each sound on the nox and its vdi without looking at the screen.

I always wonder why a manufacturer does not work on the density of metals which could help us to distinguish subtle audio differences between gold and aluminum!

maybe this is not possible?

DE81C069-8E76-406A-A130-358601AB0F90.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 2:13 AM, Valens Legacy said:

What size coil were you using?

Is it the coil size or the settings that help the most?

I've found 80% of my gold rings with the stock size coil.  Realize when detecting in water, it's harder to swing a larger coil.  The other 20% of my 200+ gold/platinum rings were recovered with larger coils.  When in the sand and needing the extra depth, I feel the larger coil is best.  As you can see, I don't spend as much time on the beach, but more of - in the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1