Short Effective Beach Hunt ( Gold And Silver )

mn90403

Hi Mitchel, Went to the beach today for a few hours before the Super Bowl. I found a promising cut, not deep but with good steep slope. I started hunting and then I remembered your mention of "the quarter line." I was musing about it as I hunted, wondering if I could maybe find the quarter line on this little stretch of beach. 

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. The ring is silver and is marked 'PTI 925 NEPAL' on the inside.

coins.jpeg

ring.jpeg

• Like 9

On 2/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, IdahoPeg said:

What a productive 2 hours! It would take 2-3 days or more to find that much stuff on our beaches! However, I do have quite a collection of lead fishing weights lol. Too new at beach detecting to figure out your clue though?

Fun, huh..? :rolleyes:
Welll, we do have slightly negative early afternoon low tides this week,
so we should be able to get to the curb.. GL & HH..

Swamp

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I found a promising cut, not deep but with good steep slope. I started hunting and then I remembered your mention of "the quarter line." I was musing about it as I hunted, wondering if I could maybe find the quarter line on this little stretch of beach. 

Flak,

Nice heavy looking ring.  Those are satisfying to find.

I take it from your wording that you now think of the cut as being separate from the 'quarter line' which I certainly do.  I will add that sometimes it is a line and at other points on the beach it is a patch.  The line is a parallel to the beach and the patch can be the grouping (the crabs crawling) of like objects that have been pushed up to the cut sometimes because of waves but it stretches down (perpendicular) to the slope (hill) to the source of the heavier pieces.  (Sometimes the heavier pieces will be picked up by a wave and be at the top.)

You don't really know until you map it what you have.

Mitchel

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Short Effective Beach Hunt ( Gold And Silver )

Yup I agree with your viewpoint Mitchel.( Found an Eisenhower dollar and a Kennedy half today - unfortunately, no line though ?)

I found a dime beach yesterday.  

Today was Chinese New Year!

Mitchel

Nice 14K save Mitchel.  A close up shot of the ring would help my old eyes.  I too try and teach myself the beach, cuts and pay attention to the varying targets recovered and their depths.  I feel those who pay attention can learn more for better % of success on future hunts.  Thanks for your story and insight.