Seriously Considering Whites 24K For My Micro Jewelry Unit

I've been looking hard at what to pair up to my F75 for jewelry hunting, specifically Micro jewelry hunting.   The Whites 24K is under consideration for this.  I like the audio boost features, the iron cancel, hot rock cancel and the non-normalized TID number spread.  I also like that it has a concentric coil offering.    I guess the main question is, will it actually detect micro jewelry good enough to make me choose it over the Goldbug II.     

My Micro jewelry measurement target is a 3mm 4-prong 10k White Gold earring post.   

Any feedback is helpful. 

HH

Mike 

• Like 1

Mike, with my 24k I have found micronuggets weighing as little as 1/15th grain. The GB II can find them as small as 1/20th grain. Far smaller than the size of the targets you are seeking. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 2

Thanks Jimmy,

I think it will do what I want it to do.     I liked what I saw on Tom' video.  It appears to keep it hots even at low gain settings which is important to me.   I don't want to have to run max gain to pick up my little chains and earring studs. 

HH
Mike 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel it is an easy winner in Tot Lots, V-Ball Courts and dry beach hunts.  The finds I made in the photos were from 2 Volley Ball Courts I hunted with the 24K.  Notice the tiny #9 skeet shot and many smaller ear ring backs.  Be sure to pair it with w TRX pointer too for faster recovery.

24KVB1.jpg

24KVB2.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Decided to walk away from this one.    

HH
Mike

The poor operating manual means you really got to hunt for explanations of the feature set everywhere else.   I've had to read Steve's review four times and ask questions on the board to find out setting ranges and explanations.   

The GM24K has a fixed low tone break point.    That took it off my list.   Per Steve's review its fixed at the 50 VDI.    

HH
Mike

The Target ID Graph on the 24k is based on the "percent probability" that a target is non-ferrous. Percentage readings of below 50% are in the ferrous (iron) range, those above 50% are in the non-ferrous range. Thus, the lower the number the greater the chance that the target is iron, and not gold. Therefore, a reading of "10" means that the target has a 10% chance of being non-ferrous, and a 90% chance of being iron. On the other hand, a reading of "80" means that the target has an 80% chance of being non-ferrous, and 20% chance of being ferrous (iron). These numbers are not the same as the target-identity VDI numbers on coin detectors, where a VDI of "50" is in the aluminum screw cap range. As for the Audio Mode two-tone target ID, the "breakoff" point of "50" (50% non-ferrous) means that targets whose percent chance of being non-ferrous is less than 50% (thus over 50% chance of being ferrous) give a low-pitched tone, whereas those targets whose chance of being non-ferrous is greater than 50% give a high-pitched tone. Low tone is (probably) iron and high tone is (probably) non-iron. Hope this explains matters. For the record, the Advanced Users Guide for the 24k in on the White's website. HH Jim

The manuals are all available on this website and I am sure it’s the Advanced Manual Mike is referring to. The question is not how the probability meter works, but the fact (as far as I have been able to determine) that the ferrous tone break point is preset at the factory. The only workaround is to use the disc mode, which blanks responses below an adjustable break point.  My guess is what Mike is saying is he prefers a machine that has an adjustable break point in two tone mode.

I do talk about it in my review so I am not sure why it was a mystery. I don’t recall being asked directly for clarification at any time (it’s not mentioned in the OP) or I would have been happy to respond. I have a 24K on hand.

• Like 1