The Old Rock Roadhouse

This is one of the few sites remaining in my area of Alaska that the incoming Stampeders used and also others that came a little later.. The site is easily spotted but unfortunately most of the area surrounding the actual spot is under the Highway at the top of Thompson pass a few miles North of Valdez..Not anything is left to identify this location but thru careful searching and studying I was able to definitely say this is it. Not a large area now but you can see the tumbledown remains that lay scattered almost entirely reclaimed by nature.  I have an idea there probably was more to be found but that is now under the Main Highway. That's ok as I realize that most of the other stopping spots on that trail are completely gone..I was able to squeak 2 coins  from the site and both were dated after 1898 but close enough to know they had been lost by others that chose that way to come into the area after the Stampede. There were other gold bearing deposits along that trail that were discovered by these prospectors that were mined for a while, those might be stories for another time..The 2 coins found were a Barber dime and a nice 5 cent piece.... I was very happy to have found some dated coinage as that always gives you an idea on timeframes of travelers.....

• Like 7