Coins On Edge After The Update, Which Mode?

DesertDan

I just picked up a 600 last week and I have a question for you experienced users. Which mode is hitting coins on edge the best after the update? I haven't used a Nox since the update. I'm going to be hunting dirt piles this weekend and I'm sure that the coins are going to be anything but flat. Thanks for the time and the information you guys can share.

Just make sure you have the latest firmware update and you should be fine in any mode. It fixed the big silver on edge problem some were having.

I primarily run Park 1 for coin hunting and have no trouble finding coins on edge.

Bryan

• Like 3

The update improved coin on edge performance in Park1 which is also the deepest mode for high conductors.  Detecting coins on edge was never really a problem for Park 2 or Field 2 before the update which are optimized for mid-conductors and low profile targets like jewelry and on-edge items.  Which is deeper?  Who knows, perhaps Park 1.

Found two dimes yesterday, both on edge 'way over 8 inches deep in highly mineralized soil. I was going to take a picture of one of them because it was on edge on the side of my dig hole. Park 1, they rang at 24-25. I've messed with the stock settings quite a bit, but think they would have sounded off in the factory presets as well.

2 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Found two dimes yesterday, both on edge 'way over 8 inches deep in highly mineralized soil. I was going to take a picture of one of them because it was on edge on the side of my dig hole. Park 1, they rang at 24-25. I've messed with the stock settings quite a bit, but think they would have sounded off in the factory presets as well.

What software version?

Hi Chase, I'm running the upgraded version.

As an aside I still find the depth marker to be wildly erratic. It becomes very important to learn to understand the sounds the detector makes when the depth gage is weird and there is no modulation. But, just to be clear, I love this machine. 

And, while I am babbling, I did something the last few times I was out that totally changed my detecting experience; I turned up the Volume Adjust. Holy cr*p, what a difference! All the chirps and whispers became much easier to interpret. I had not even thought to do that until I was on the beach last week and the surf was making so much noise I just cranked the Volume Adjust. I liked it so much, I tried it at a park I go to and was very pleasantly surprised there as well. fwiw...

• Like 3

In parks, I usually use Park 2 these days, but probably should be using Park 1 for maybe a little extra depth on coins. After all, most coins are sufficiently not vertical to register, and it generally makes sense to play the odds.

The coin on edge issue is another reason I wish Minelab would open up its machines to the coil makers. There are coils like the Tornado with reputations for doing a better job hitting coins on edge, and it would be nice to have them for the Nox.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Hi Chase, I'm running the upgraded version.

As an aside I still find the depth marker to be wildly erratic. It becomes very important to learn to understand the sounds the detector makes when the depth gage is weird and there is no modulation. But, just to be clear, I love this machine. 

And, while I am babbling, I did something the last few times I was out that totally changed my detecting experience; I turned up the Volume Adjust. Holy cr*p, what a difference! All the chirps and whispers became much easier to interpret. I had not even thought to do that until I was on the beach last week and the surf was making so much noise I just cranked the Volume Adjust. I liked it so much, I tried it at a park I go to and was very pleasantly surprised there as well. fwiw...

Flak,

I run the volume a little up on the machine and also on the headphones.  Sometimes my ears don't adjust and I have to blow on my nose to help out also.  This happens more often than I'd like to admit but that is what works for me.

Mitchel