First Spanish Silver Of The Year

GKman

Nice finds, particularly for middle of a not so mild winter.  That half Real is a beut!  How deep were these?

Have you considered taking along a spray bottle to gently clean your finds in the field?  Rubbing on a coin that turns out to be valuable can be a significant equity reducer.  We all want the instant gratification of knowing what we just recovered, and sometimes knowing what we just dug helps in mapping/planning the remainder of the hunt.  The water spray does both without the risk of damage.

• Like 1

Thanks. About 5 and 7 inches. You can get away with using water for silver, but spritzing water on a copper can simply remove a lot of detail depending on what condition they are in so I wouldn't recommend it. As far as value goes, I just don't really care about it since I never plan on selling them and shame on my kids if they try to some day.

As far as mapping out a site. I suppose if you were trying to discern a coin was a wheat cent compared to a memorial while detecting a  park it could help find a hot spot , but my sites are all old woods and fields where I am specifically looking for old coppers and silver. In these types of locations I am going to be able to identify my coppers as coppers and US or foreign silvers pretty easily. I suppose if I wanted to be stingy and say only dig King George's instead of Large Cent's it would help to know which was which and where I was finding them. but they are pretty easily identified as one type or another and still I probably wouldn't use water to wash them off. 

I will admit, at one time I used water to clean all my coppers   ?

• Like 1

1st of the year... OMGosh.  Hats off to you my friend for such a stunner of a save.

• Like 1