Vegas Here I Come !!

Driving to Vegas from NorCal for a company conference and taking a few extra days to fit in some detecting to and fro ?

Nox and MMK loaded, along with 6" & 15" Nox coils, and the 7" concentric MMK coil, lots of iron patches to try, some other areas more sparse with targets, yet great finds have been made in those fields, so hopefully the EQ800 with the 15" coil will light that field back up (Tom bagged a gold coin from it and I've dug a key couple of date seateds).  

Some other areas I want to try, including an area I suspect may have been a wagon gathering campsite, the 15" coil will come in handy for zig zagging through this area to see if there's any signs of past life to confirm my wagon campsite theory.  Another area we detected in the past where I dug a super deep piece of indian trade silver, the type you see more of back east.  It was super deep, and the silver was heavily tarnished and kind of crinkled up.  I thought it was a junk metal tag from something modern, and it wasn't until I got it home and was cleaning my finds that I figured out the treasure I'd dug.  Tom and I detected that site again and didn't find much, so he wrote it off, and I have to agree it's not promising, but given how deep this big trade silver piece was, I think the 15" Nox coil might light up something our 11" coils missed (Exp2, F75 and Racer2), it's a long shot.

It's always fun to hit your old sites with your new machines, each one brings something different to the table,  finding stuff your other machines didn't for whatever reason.

• Like 9

Good fortune, C_C, and we look forward to your reports of finds.  I know the Pacific NW has been getting hammered with weather the last few days -- hope that doesn't spill too far south and affect your adventures.

• Like 1

There are some nice places in and around Vegas. I live here, my main passion is nugget hunting and meteorite hunting, but also love to hunt for coins and relics. There are old mining camps, springs, wells, Old Arrowhead Highway, Old spanish trail,  Native American sites, caves, just to name a few.  I was using a CTX 3030 for years,  but sold it about a year ago, to go to a Nox 800, which in my opinion works wonders around the 3030. I have been hunting the SW deserts since 1988, and have built up quite a collection.

IF you find anything good while out this way post on here, would love to see. Good luck...

Dave.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good fortune, C_C, and we look forward to your reports of finds.  I know the Pacific NW has been getting hammered with weather the last few days -- hope that doesn't spill too far south and affect your adventures.

Funny you mention the weather.  Lots of rain and snow out here, and yesterday I met Tom on my way to Vegas to recon a site we'd been researching (site turned out to be lame), we litterally pulled into the site as heavy rains subsided. 

18 hours ago, DolanDave said:

There are some nice places in and around Vegas. I live here, my main passion is nugget hunting and meteorite hunting, but also love to hunt for coins and relics. There are old mining camps, springs, wells, Old Arrowhead Highway, Old spanish trail,  Native American sites, caves, just to name a few.  I was using a CTX 3030 for years,  but sold it about a year ago, to go to a Nox 800, which in my opinion works wonders around the 3030. I have been hunting the SW deserts since 1988, and have built up quite a collection.

IF you find anything good while out this way post on here, would love to see. Good luck...

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've hunted a little bit at some ghost towns outside of Vegas, but have typically work from Tonopah and areas further North.  After this work conference ends, I'll be heading straight to my next detecting areas.

GL&HH,
Cal

• Like 1

Brian, 

Looking forward to your hunt results. Been thinking about getting the 15" coil myself. May work great at hunting the outer limits of some sites around here. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 2:53 PM, Tom Slick said:

Brian, 

Looking forward to your hunt results. Been thinking about getting the 15" coil myself. May work great at hunting the outer limits of some sites around here. 

Tom I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the 15" coil and I haven't in the past been that found of big coils as most of these sites are so trashy that they don't perform well, but this one is doing a great job, I think you'll like it (and it's pretty light).

I'm sure it'll also be a great beach coil and deep silver turf coil as well.