Field 2 And Ground Noise Help

groundscanner

Try locating one of those low grunts and dig it up.  If it's a very small piece of iron it could possibly be a very old home site.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Groundscanner....if you have signaled from a permanent iron accent - modify the program to discriminate to accept from -3 ID to + 39-40 ID ..- you will substantially clean the audio signal of the Equinox signal... In the next step, you can adjust the recovery speed by one step upwards - it also helps ...

Thanks. I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

If you run in 50 Tones you can notch out any number including those within ferrous range.

Bryan

I know you can notch out ferrous IDs, but what I am saying is that you have to lower the ferrous discrimination breakpoint to do that (i.e., you can't notch out target ID's that are already discriminated out) which means that any of the non-notched, typically ferrous, targets between -5 and 0 (i.e., above the new ferrous/non-ferrous breakpoint) will now sound off as non-ferrous tones, right?  What am I missing?  Thx. Sorry, just trying to learn how this works because it is hurting my head.  Lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I know you can notch out ferrous IDs, but what I am saying is that you have to lower the ferrous discrimination breakpoint to do that (i.e., you can't notch out target ID's that are already discriminated out) which means that any of the non-notched, typically ferrous, targets between -5 and 0 (i.e., above the new ferrous/non-ferrous breakpoint) will now sound off as non-ferrous tones, right?  What am I missing?  Thx. Sorry, just trying to learn how this works because it is hurting my head.  Lol.

I might be confusing things because I don’t run any of the factory settings on any of the modes. I went in and set them up for my style of hunting and I just tweak things as needed. All my Park and Field Modes are the same. Sometimes I go over to a different mode and mess with the settings for testing but rarely come out of Park 1. It might be easier if I just show you how I run my detector for old coin hunting.

I run 50 Tones wide open most of the time. If I get in to very heavy aluminum, or EMI I will use my discrimination pattern which notches OUT 1-11 and 14-16. I have the ferrous region -9 through 0 Notched IN and always on.

Volume is 25. Tone Volume is T1=5 and T2=25... Threshold=12... Threshold pitch 1... Tones=50.. T1=2... Recovery Speed =4-7...Iron Bias 0...

Running this way I can hear all ferrous, but it is very quiet and is a low tone. I can listen to it all day with no bother. I like to hear everything under the ground and the ground itself. A silent detector is unnerving to me.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

• Like 4

Bryan 

I get it now.   You have eliminated the ferrous/non-ferrous breakpoint altogether and are running just notches so you have ferrous notched in which you can customize using added notches to knock out the low ferrous as desired.  I basically notch nothing, use the default ferrous/non-ferrous breakpoints and cut in or out the ferrous region using the horseshoe.    I like being able to cut ferrous out quickly with one button (horseshoe) if necessary in machine gun, bed o nails situations so your pattern wouldn't becessarily work for me.  But your setup illustrates the awesone flexibility of of the Equinox to set up very sophisticated disc/notch patterns.  Thanks for laying it out for me.

• Like 6

On 2/11/2019 at 9:30 PM, Cabin Fever said:

A silent detector is unnerving to me.

You stated perfectly how I feel when a machine is too quiet. There are “well behaved” detectors like that old mare you give the kids to ride. Equinox is more mustang, hard to break and full of spirit! I like to give mine free rein to run wild.

I do believe some issues regarding Equinox revolve around it being a high performance detector disguised as a mid-range machine. Beginners can easily get in over their heads if they start messing with things too quickly. It’s good though because it leaves a lot of room to grow for those who stick with it. People who use more control limited machines starting out usually soon outgrow them.

• Like 5

Though my brother and I was wondering if we had the machines "tuned" properly, we couldn't complain about the results.

The site has been hammered for over 30 years and we have started to think of it as being depleted of relics (at least with our older detectors).  The last couple of hunts with the older detectors yielded very few finds.

Altogether we found 17 minie balls, 1 button back, a ball button, an eagle button, a knapsack hook, a pocket knife, and a silver thimble (with the equinoxes).  It was the best collection of relics recovered from the site in ages. ?

MT

• Like 6

I compared how the discrimination setting works to accept from-2 to +40 ID ...- and its influence on the ID display on the Equinox screen versus ID in allmetal - horseshoe ...

Tested in strongly mineralized Black-sand -7bar Fe3O4- measured Teknetick G2-11DD "coil at 50 eurocent coin  in depth 3.5" - 9cm ... Equinox 800 -and 6"coil- in Ground Balance is value 2GB.., recovery speed4-5-6,...sensitivity 17-18..,iron bias 0.... and programs Park1,Park2, Feld1,Field2, Beach1..

After testing the Equinox 800 on a 6 "coil ..say  :

To set a certain degree  :

IN ...Discrimination:..  in my case from the Accept  of -2 ID to + 40 IDs :  Signal -Its   still, ..much better,... and more visually stabble-, non-ferrous+ID..  in the range...of +20- to +25 ID... and also nice "non-ferrous "sound ...

IN... Allmetal : I also received a non-ferrous sound ... but the ID on the screen very often and regularly showed the iron ID .. = - 7 ID, -6 ID and .. sometimes positive non-ferrous 20-25ID also appeared.

So after this test... I verify

..."Fully open discrimination = Allmetal" : can limit correct display of "non-ferrous +ID "- when it comes to complicated signals - while in an audio signal you are still hearing a nice non-iron signal ...

So the appropriate setting of Discrimination - certainly helps in such a situation .. - Limit the negative impact on defining the correct ID in complicated terrain conditions. So this setting of discrimination from -3, -2 to +40 ID will still be perfect separating properties ...

• Like 3