Sign in to follow this  
kac

Old Cross?

Found this next to a fence in a local ball field about 8-10" down. It rang in as silver and has no tarnish so I am guessing it is pretty pure. Back has no maker marks and shows a small pebble finish so it was originally sand cast or delft clay. The symmetry isn't perfect so it was hand made or at least the original pattern was. Anyone have any info they may know on this such as approx. age etc?

The jump ring is iron, wild guess is it may had had a leather cord.

IMG_0368.JPG

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Nice find I would be happy with it however it does not appear to be the real deal  due to the discoloration I'm seeing. The iron ring is not very encouraging as well.  I've found silver items well over 100 years old that are  still marked 925 or they say "sterling"

Of course I hope I'm wrong...and I am wrong most of the time...at least that what my wife tells me :smile:

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is silver, maybe not 925 but since it was sand cast there might have been some contamination that got on the surface in some areas. Iron jump ring doesn't seem to be plated. No marks doesn't always mean anything, it could have been made from a small maker. Still a cool find since it was right next to a metal fence, probably why others had missed it.

The park I was at has a path that follows the original path that passed through an old farm field. Sometime in the 1940's they turned it into a baseball diamond. Other BB diamonds in the same park vary in age, couple I had picked up an 1877 sitting liberty 2" in the sand and a few 1906 indian heads. Buffalos I pulled from there are in rough shape and very hard to read.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kac said:

it could have been made from a small maker.

That's what I was thinking.  Lots of 'weekend' artisans out there.  I recall when in college (long time ago 😢) one of my dorm-mates was making silver rings.  They were pretty crude but definitely a high grade of silver (with no marks).

I've also found high grade silver jewelry with iron attach rings.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to us detectorists (because we know how bad iron corrodes in the ground).  I guess whoever made it wasn't figuring it would end up buried.  😁

BTW, a good specific gravity test would go a long way to confirming, but that can be difficult to do because the volume (difference between dry weight and submerged weight) is difficult to determine with high accuracy.  You're effectively trying to distinguish s.g. of 10.3 (sterling or coin silver) from s.g. of 8.9 (silver plated copper).

• Like 1

The park is close by to the landing point of the city I am in, considered the oldest part of the city 1636. I doubt it is that old but there are a few old churches around and it might be from one of them. OR it could be a piece of junk someone lost after picking it up from a flea market hehe.

5 minutes ago, kac said:

The park is close by to the landing point of the city I am in, considered the oldest part of the city 1636. I doubt it is that old but there are a few old churches around and it might be from one of them.

If Gary Drayton found it on Oak Island he'd be claiming "Templar, baby!"  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By The Seeker
      There’s been some sand movement in SoCal beaches and I got there just in time to get a few crumbs. There was another hunter there before me since I could see the opened holes and junk laying besides them. Luckily he left me a few keepers. I hunted 3 days for a total of $35+ in clad and 5 gold pieces. Good luck out there and happy hunting.

• By Lunk
      Had a couple hours to kill this afternoon, so I took the Equinox to a park here in sunny Arizona that I’ve not been to before. Typically, my goal on these time-constrained forays into the parklands is to cherry pick the higher conductive targets in hopes of finding a silver coin. But this time I decided to also dig targets that fell within the nickel range of the EQX. The first target was a shallow 20-21 signal; yep, you guessed it - a stinkin zincoln. Next up was a 13-14...could be a nickel, but most likely a pop can tab...sure enough, it was a can tab. Swinging along, next signal was a solid hit at 24-25; at 4 inches, out popped a 1963 D copper Lincoln cent: cool, definitely some hope for silver. After digging another pop tab, I got a strange deep signal that would bounce around from 25 to 31; a coin spill perhaps? The culprit was down around 10 inches, and turned out to be a corroded 1945 D copper wheat-back penny. Checking the hole and plug revealed no other targets...a total head-scratcher, but even more reason to suspect slver coinage was in the area. Moving on, the Nox responded with a tight 12 on the display. Down around 6 inches was a surprisingly corroded 2013 D nickel. Next was a broken pop tab around the 2 inch mark, then a nice sounding 27-28 ; the silver dime I’ve been waiting for? Nope, just a flattened aluminum scew-top.😩 Then I get another solid 12 hit at 4 inches. Fully expecting another nickel. I popped the target out of the hole and was flabbergasted to see a gold and diamond wedding ring! At 14 karat, it’s my first ever solid gold ring. I figured that I’d better stop at that point, since there was no way I was going to top that amazing find, but I decided to keep on swinging for another half an hour since I hadn’t found a silver coin yet. The very next target was a deep sounding solid 31, so I’m hoping beyond hope for a silver quarter. Getting down past 8 inches and the pinpointer was sounding off in the bottom of the hole; another couple inches and the target was out...a Washington quarter alright, and a gentle rub revealed the date: 1941...YES! I decided to quit on a high tone and call it a day. What a super awesome hunt, and I couldn’t be happier.😃

• By Mike Hillis
      I found this a little while back with the Omega 8500.   I don't use the Omega very much but I had it out standing behind the door for some other activity and it was the one I grabbed when I headed out the door.  
      Not very big, only 4.05 grams of 18k gold.    Took the picture with my Fire tablet so the detail isn't the best but hey, we all like looking a gold even if the detail is a little fuzzy.
      HH
      Mike

• By flakmagnet
      I had a couple of hours to go play at the beach on Christmas day. I am posting this because I know all you Equinox owners will understand how well your detector has to be working to find stuff like these two little items. The partial neckless was about six inches down and I felt good about understanding that the intermittent signal it gave off was worthy (Diamonds and saffires). The little ring was even deeper but gave off an unmistakable 'dig me' tone. Happy Holidays to everyone.

• By Againstmywill
      First dig of the day on a baseball field was a strong 34-35 on the screen of my Equinox 800. About one inch down was a pleasant surprise; I thought it was going to be a couple quarters together. It is silver and they are real diamonds. Not sure what the middle stone is, but it is a very dark blue. About an hour later I got a strong 9 on the screen and out popped a class ring (#3 for me and always a neat challenge to track down owner). If you know what the "K" in the inside stands for, please share (I assume it means that it is some sort of alloy and not precious.) I think I know the name of the person already, now some more detective work to come up with a good contact number. I was using Park 1, 23 sensitivity, speed 7, and ground balanced to 0. The soil is almost exclusively sand with grass on top.