Jeff McClendon

Equinox 800 Arizona Gold

Nice report Jeff.  And nice gold.

Thanks for adding your settings too 👍

• Like 1

Yes, great report!  Appreciate the details of the hunt.  Congratulations on your well earned gold nuggets.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your gold hunt experience with the Nox....I’ve been using the Gold Monster exclusively when in Idaho, but will have to give the 800 a try!

• Like 1

Nice detailed report...I'm starting to get the fever again

strick

• Like 1

Great gold and great report, and a positive learning experience - what else could you ask for? WTG

• Like 1

Hi Idaho Peg and strick,

first, I left out a couple of important details. I like a threshold tone. For my ears there is a big jump in threshold volume level between 12 and 13 on the Nox 800 in Gold 2. So I kept it around there. It really helps with the faint targets, hot rock evaluation and determination of ground balance stability. I did not use tracking ground balance. I manually ground balanced (just a habit I guess) and the levels at both sites stayed between 1 and 5. Also, I hunted exclusively in Multi. 

Idaho Peg, I owned a Gold Monster 1000 for awhile (during the same time I was getting acquainted with the Nox). I found it to be an excellent gold prospecting detector. The two things I was missing on it were a threshold tone and the ability to manually ground balance. For me it was limited by being too automated. The Nox has outstanding numerical and audio ferrous/non ferrous indication with the press of the horseshoe button in any mode. It also has a much more accurate depth indicator (which I used) and an excellent pinpointer (which I constantly used). It also has so many ways to adjust and use its audio features that can really help in audio target identification support.

I am in my mid 60s. Even though I'm fit, I definitely do not enjoy digging dozens of deep holes looking for tiny targets with my GPX 4800 or my former Gold Monster and just relying on the intensity level of low-high, high-low tones, gold probability indicator left/right meter, my pick magnet and maybe a hand held pinpointer to speed things up. With those two detectors, cherry picking is very perilous. With the Nox 800 and even the 600 (it probably would have detected both of those nuggets easily in Park 2 or Field 2 multi) there is a whole lot of information gathering at my fingertips and ear drums that makes cherry picking a much safer activity if I am tired, have a long hunt ahead of me, want to mark very unlikely gold targets for later inspection or just want to dig obvious non-ferrous targets first. The Nox 800 gave me tons of easy to evaluate information, a 6" coil and -3 lbs weight, all options which I happily used. 

• Like 9

Jeff,  Not only was your post very detailed and informative for newer EQ users, but you backed it up with good gold recoveries.  Now I realize part of that is location and hanging around desert rat gold grabbers such as Rob and Bill, that certainly gives some more odds to you.  Those are nice digs and I would expect you to be back there with the GPX trying to sniff a few more deeper ones too.  Keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gerry, Steve and all of you for reading my experience. We all have different levels of detecting skills that's for sure. I used a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for years for prospecting. Its was a very good detector for that purpose. Having the Equinox is like shopping in a big department store in comparison. I feel like I haven't even left the Sporting Goods section yet when it comes to the Nox 800. 

I'm glad that all of my hundreds of hours on the 600 and 800 paid off though. I practiced on small gold and lead versus iron targets and hot rocks a lot and really experimented. I feel like I know enough about operating it while prospecting to be successful. Now I want to get in some beach detecting..................

Jeff

• Like 1