Problem With Equinox 600

Natew1214

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

What’s up is if you don’t want to use the forum leave. If you want help via email contact the person who sold you the detector. If you want help via the forum use the forum. Repeated requests to have people email you raise red flags with me as scammers do hit this site. You may be completely innocent but you are only seeing your perspective.

People here are happy to help you unlike whoever sold you the detector apparently, so copping an attitude does not get you far with me. I almost banned you just now but will see how you respond first.

I'm sorry. I just frustrated severally... Other vdi come through great. Not lower ones. Can I keep ground balance at zero and just run with it or no on the beach

• Like 1

That’s fine then and I’m sorry you are frustrated. Please slow down, be patient, and don’t wander off. Let’s work on this until you get it sorted out. 

My suggestion is do a full reset of your detector. If out of the water use Beach 1. If on running water or in water use Beach 2. DO NOT modify any other settings, leave it alone, except for the sensitivity level. If the machine is erratic lower the sensitivity until there are no false signals. Do not worry at all about where that puts you, just do it. If the machine is set too sensitive for your location you will get false signals and erratic VDI (target id) numbers.

Doing anything else other than this will cause more problems for you as a novice. The stock settings are very well researched and are truly the best place to be when starting out. Stay with them and use lower sensitivity. Remember, you are trying to learn the machine and playing with too much at once is not going to help you. If what I am suggesting does not work, your detector may need to be serviced.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll just add make sure you are doing a noise cancel when you first turn on the machine at the location and redo if you change locations. You probably already are, just dont want to assume anything. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Natew1214 said:

vdi come through great. Not lower ones.

Doing this on the forum versus email allows you to benefit from multiple folks who might have great suggestions.  I don't have all the answers.

Listen to what Steve suggested.  On the dry beach 0 GB should be fine and GB should not have any impact on how low vdi numbers sound.  Do the noise cancel as Lacky suggested.

Can you describe the issue better - low vdi not coming through means what, exactly?  Low volume?  Doesn't sound off at all?  Sounds off but you don't recover the target you expected?  Really not sure what you mean.

• Like 2

And what number is that? What tone setting are you using... for instance 5 tones or 50 tones? You are giving so little information all we can do is guess. Simply based on what you are saying it sounds like you are getting a low target id number with a low tone to match. You say it is not a false signal. So you dig and there is a target?

Did you follow my advice at all about resetting the detector and lowering the sensitivity?

Unless you give more detailed information about what the actual problem is I don’t know much else what to offer.

Did you buy this from a dealer? Are they refusing to help you?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Natew1214 said:

Very low pop coming through volume but upper vdi is Crystal clear. But it's not false signals cause I go over it again and again and same number pops up

What Steve said, plus what does it sound like when you remove all discrimination using the horseshoe button? Also, have you tried comparing what your are hearing with the external speaker or plugging some different headphones directly into the Equinox to see if the audio improves (this could eliminate an issue with the wireless headphones you are using)?

Put yourself in our shoes, pretend you are us unable to see or hear the problem you are having, and consider whether how you are describing the problem in words paints a detailed enough picture for someone else to really understand what you are seeing and hearing.

Or post a video using the Equinox speaker as the audio source so we can see and hear what is going on.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a new Nox 600 and have had similar issues. After pinpointing especially, I would jusr lose the target altogether when returning to scan mode. This is in the woods away from power and homes, iron and lead/copper targets. I think Chase Goldman has some good pointers. I'm not a very experienced detectorist, at least not with a quality machine, and still learning the Nox 600. I'll also try a factory reset and turning off tracking ground balance as Nate suggested. I am in extremely rocky soil in the Catskills. "Two stone for every dirt" as they say. But I've been impressed by detecting items under a few inches of bluestone.

8 minutes ago, Possum104 said:

I recently bought a new Nox 600 and have had similar issues. After pinpointing especially, I would jusr lose the target altogether when returning to scan mode.

The pinpointer on the Equinox is a huge disappointment.  Learn how to pinpoint with the Horseshoe mode and stop all your headaches. 

5 hours ago, Possum104 said:

After pinpointing especially, I would jusr lose the target altogether when returning to scan mode.

I use the pinpoint mode all the time.  It has its quirks but can be helpful (otherwise I wouldn't use it!).  Those of us who use it have other methods for pinpointing as well, and vary the method (including using multiple methods on the same target) depending upon conditions and the particular target.

The biggest issue with the pinpoint mode (and this isn't a bug) is that in trashy locations, nearby strong targets can dominate and pull you off your intended target.  Ideally you turn on pinpoint well away (say more than a coil diameter away) and then sweep over the spot you think the target is.  But even in moderately trashy locations that can result in activating the pinpoint over a trash target (or even other good target) and causing you to miss the intended target due to it being a weaker signal.  Resetting and then positioning the coil center (under the bolt/screw) a couple inches away and then slowly moving over the target location (i.e. getting the coil center over the target) should work fine.  But sometimes the nearby targets are so strong that this doesn't give a pinpoint sound and you need to resort to other methods (such as multiple angle-of-attack investigation in your search mode).

You mention you are still building your detecting experience.  One thing I had to learn early on is to keep my eyes on my target location no matter what.  Think "laser focus".  It's important to do this from the time you've first detected a target until you start digging.

• Like 1