Problem With Equinox 600

Natew1214

Steve Have you ever heard of this problem and tell me if you think you know what it is... I have a Equinox 600 and I got vdi issues where I will be swinging the Detector hit a signal and then not want to dig that and keep swinging and it will show another vdi and then freezes up while I'm still swinging and then -- will show and then after six seconds or so 00 and then go again and same thing and I have turned sensitivity to 20, recovery speed 3 iron bias 2 and ground balance on auto tracking.... I also will swing over a vdi and it will jump and lower and jump and lower. And on pinpointer mode it sometimes won't have audio but I back out and try again it does. This is for sure a bug. Right?

Steve. Please contact me at Gmail. nateslucky1214@gmail.com. I am having issues with my Equinox 600 vdi numbers are jumpy and I have my settings on sensitivity 20 ground balance is auto tracking and my recovery speed is 3 am I iron bias is set 2... vdi numbers out of center jumpy and it will stick to a vdi number while I'm still swinging like an undesirable vdi number one pick up and then I'll still be swinging it and it hit another vdi number but then quits and fries on that number and then it's like a x out or something freezes for about 5 seconds dash dash for about 6 seconds and then it'll go to another vdi number what kind of bug is this what kind of issue am I having here

Hi Nate,

Welcome to the forum but slow down. There is no need to email. We are already communicating. I only answer questions via the forum so that all may learn from the answers. You may have an issue, but it is not an emergency. Well at least not for me. I did not sell you the detector. Make the dealer EARN his money by providing you the dealer support you paid for.

If you bought used you may have bought somebody’s else’s problem. You might want to take that up with them.

First off, have you done a factory reset? And what mode are you using?

The main problem for me is you are talking about several issues at once and mixing them up with a lack of detail as to your settings.

The thread you posted on was an old one dealing with an issue that is already in the past... wobbly rods. So I moved your post here for better visibility and input from forum members.

Relax. Worst case is it needs a trip to service. That’s why warranties exist. Let’s make sure there really is an issue first before doing that.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Natew1214 said:

Steve Have you ever heard of this problem and tell me if you think you know what it is... I have a Equinox 600 and I got vdi issues where I will be swinging the Detector hit a signal and then not want to dig that and keep swinging and it will show another vdi and then freezes up while I'm still swinging and then -- will show and then after six seconds or so 00 and then go again and same thing and I have turned sensitivity to 20, recovery speed 3 iron bias 2 and ground balance on auto tracking.... I also will swing over a vdi and it will jump and lower and jump and lower. And on pinpointer mode it sometimes won't have audio but I back out and try again it does. This is for sure a bug. Right?

Please don't panic as what you are describing may be caused by your own settings and very dependent to what Mode you are using and one of your settings which I believe may not help is you are using "Tracking Ground Balance" this has caused me to be concerned in the past when I was tempted to use it and one thing which I had noticed was my Equinox 800 would give off a slight spitting signal and the VDI numbers would move all over the show and then I would lose all audio but when I moved away  then returned of the previous signal zone I would go through the same annoyance again and it was only after I had started to dig in the area of the dubious signal and using my pinpointer probe I actually found a hammered silver cut quarter penny and this was identical when trying to gain a repeat signal from very small hammered silver coins, it was my own perseverance to eliminate this audio problem that I realised all of the misbehaving cured when I reverted to "Manual Ground Balance" with the head away from the signal source and remaining in "Manual GB" and all of the problems were coming about through my detector being in the "Tracking GB" setting as the more i moved the coil over the weak signal the more the Equinox was Ground Balancing out the signal and eventually no audio.

Hope you get the Equinox sorted soon and it is worth trying Manual GB.

• Like 5

Hi,

the Equinox will display the previous target ID number for a couple of seconds as you move the coil before it goes to  --  --  if there is no shallow target under your coil.  If you happen to immediately move over a deep target which is too deep for target number ID but is still detectable with audio you could go from a numbered target to a -- -- target in quick succession with a tone. You could get the same result if your coil passes over a target that is in the -9 to -1 range if those numbers are rejected for instance.

I have never seen double zero=00 on the display, only one zero=0 which can be a target on the iron/small gold /small aluminum boundary. As was said previously, I would do a factory reset, pick default Park 1, properly noise cancel, ground balance and turn down your sensitivity to 13 - 15 and don't press the horseshoe button, then see what happens over an area that is easy to detect like tree bark, sand or gravel at a kids playground or in an area that is familiar to you with very few targets. Sounds like you were in a trashy area with some iron targets at multiple depths, swinging too fast and with too high sensitivity.........

• Like 6

On 2/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Randy Dee said:

Please don't panic as what you are describing may be caused by your own settings and very dependent to what Mode you are using and one of your settings which I believe may not help is you are using "Tracking Ground Balance" this has caused me to be concerned in the past when I was tempted to use it and one thing which I had noticed was my Equinox 800 would give off a slight spitting signal and the VDI numbers would move all over the show and then I would lose all audio but when I moved away  then returned of the previous signal zone I would go through the same annoyance again and it was only after I had started to dig in the area of the dubious signal and using my pinpointer probe I actually found a hammered silver cut quarter penny and this was identical when trying to gain a repeat signal from very small hammered silver coins, it was my own perseverance to eliminate this audio problem that I realised all of the misbehaving cured when I reverted to "Manual Ground Balance" with the head away from the signal source and remaining in "Manual GB" and all of the problems were coming about through my detector being in the "Tracking GB" setting as the more i moved the coil over the weak signal the more the Equinox was Ground Balancing out the signal and eventually no audio.

Hope you get the Equinox sorted soon and it is worth trying Manual GB.

Thanks man I appreciate your input... I'm going to try and do that

• Like 2

What about the pinpointer. Does anyone have a problem with the pinpointer not working right? I mean I Know how to pinpoint. I turn 90 degrees and go over the item. I believe it's something to do with my machine... Because sometimes it will say it's under the coil. 11" and it's not. It's way off... Like I'm getting kinda frustrated I even bought a EQX 600 and that's sad because i see other people who have problems and some who dont

2 hours ago, Natew1214 said:

What about the pinpointer. Does anyone have a problem with the pinpointer not working right? I mean I Know how to pinpoint. I turn 90 degrees and go over the item. I believe it's something to do with my machine... Because sometimes it will say it's under the coil. 11" and it's not. It's way off... Like I'm getting kinda frustrated I even bought a EQX 600 and that's sad because i see other people who have problems and some who dont

I struggled with this at first. The Nox is a VERY sensitive machine. If there is any other piece of metal any where close to the target, you can easily pinpoint a small piece of iron or nail and miss the target. Every detector is different and takes time to learn.

18 hours ago, Natew1214 said:

Nate - how much detecting experience do you have and with what detectors?  I would like to help you but a little background can help me understand and separate out problems based on lack of experience with a new detector versus lack of experience with using detectors in general.  That will help me determine the best starting point to walk you through your issues.  In any event, I will try to help out in the absence of having that info.

An example of what appears to be possible inexperience and confusion, if you are using the built in pinpointer, no need to turn 90 degrees.  (A 90 degree cross pattern or wiggle off the target are viable methods for pinpointing without using the built-in pinpointer). Once you have achieved a target signal, just slide the center of your coil to slightly the side of the approximate spot of the target and engage the pinpointer than move the coil around to get the strongest signal while keeping the coil level and at a constant height (lowering the coil will give the false impression of centering on the target because the target signal will increase due to the coil height being closer to the target).  Also, be aware that if you move the coil too much to the side when you engage pinpoint, you might actually cause the pinpointer to lock onto an adjacent target which will throw you way off.  Finally, you need to also know that small iron targets such as nails will tend to pinpoint off center (you will usually dig them out of the side wall of the hole you dig that you think is centered on the target). You may also find this to be the case with small targets or round or flat targets that oriented on edge with respect to the coil.   

Understand also that pinpoint mode is a non-motion mode which means that the coil does not need to be in motion to acquire the target (unlike the normal search modes where the coil needs to be in motion to acquire the target), so only move your coil slightly to try to obtain the optimum pinpoint position.  The pinpoint mode on Equinox also tries to "zero in" on the target by lowering sensitivity slightly as you swing back and forth.  This feature results in some quirky behavior such as the target signal in pinpoint sometimes sounding very faint before it "locks in" and gets loud.  If this kind of thing throws you off.  Simply restart the pinpointing sequence by turning off the pinpointer and then start the pinpoint process again. 

Don't be afraid to ask more questions if the above confuses you, but again, a little background on you can help us give you the right type of advice.  HTH.

• Like 6