Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

...Just buy a chip when I get there...

Mitchel

Mitchel -- try to buy the little things here before you jet.. Even something as common these days as a memory chip will cost you close to double there.. An Oz made pick I understand tho.. :smile:

Swamp

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteelPhase said:

Give me a shout when you're here. There are plenty of other goldfields away from Bendigo that havent been hit quite as hard. I can point you towards a few and maybe even manage to get out myself for a swing.

SteelPhase,

I WILL take you up on that sometime after the first few days.  As I get closer to the time of the trip I'll firm up some things with you.

Would it be better for me to rent a vehicle I can sleep in for prospecting in your area or is a pre-dawn drive and after sunset drive ok?

Mitchel

Mitch:  Highly recommend a campervan for prospecting in Vic. I use a diesel VW T5 poptop 4wd and basically camp anywhere I damn well please. I do my laundry at laundromats in towns (or coin washers at caravan parks, although I never stay at these)  Even at Reg Wilson's spacious and comfortable mansion I still prefer sleeping in my van! 

The amount of money saved touring in this way is immense and more than justifies campervan rental. You don't need a large van, indeed the smaller the better for following bush tracks.

I'm getting softer as I age (disgracefully) and have now fitted up myself with a hot water system (with a shower out the back door) Most towns in Vic are RV friendly so water is usually available free somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Mr. Beatty (JR in the future):

Thank you for your recommendations, especially about the campervan rental. Where would be the best place to obtain one?

Now, as to my hygiene, I'm bringing 4 pairs of undershorts for the trip.  That means I will have a clean pair for each week of the trip and a couple of extras if I include the pair I'll be coming with on the plane.  You never know I might need an extra in case I get one pair wet or something.  If I plan it right I should have a 'clean' pair for the trip home.  ?

As far as a shower in the bush is concerned, I've noted that there will be a fair amount of rain while I'm there so I should be fine.  If that is not sufficient I can dampen a paper towel from my drinking water and get clean.

Mitchel

PS:  Is there an extra charge for getting the stink out of a car when it has been in the bush for a few weeks?  ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Dear Mr. Beatty (JR in the future):

The only person who calls me that is my bank manager. JR is fine and I hope you don't mind being called Mitch!

9 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

PS:  Is there an extra charge for getting the stink out of a car when it has been in the bush for a few weeks?

Others may, but I can't smell mine!

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

if you want to go cheap and nasty wicked campers is for those on an extreme budget

Aren't they the ones with silly slogans painted on them?

Personally I've had no experience with rentals but your travel people should be able to organise something in advance from there.

Remember we drive on the "wrong" side of the road though - - - :)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, phrunt said:

if you want to go cheap and nasty wicked campers is for those on an extreme budget

https://www.wickedcampers.com.au/bookings/

would do the trick though

Looks to be about $80 a day for a 4WD plus the fuel.  What is the cost there?

That would be about $3.40 for gas and $3.80 for diesel.

I didn't see a diesel offered by Wicked but I probably missed it.

11 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

That would be about $3.40 for gas and $3.80 for diesel.

I didn't see a diesel offered by Wicked but I probably missed it.

I calculate .84 US$ per litre for gas   :)   and .94 US$ per litre for diesel. How does that compare back home?

We have a price gap between states.  I can get gas now (87) at around $3.00 in California and $3.60- $5.00 for 91.  The diesel is a bit more like $4.00.

I was recently in Arizona and gas there runs about $.50- $.75 less per gallon.

This gas map shows how much extra we pay because of taxes in the west.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4

• Thanks 1