Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

2 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

We have a price gap between states.  I can get gas now (87) at around $3.00 in California and $3.60- $5.00 for 91.  The diesel is a bit more like $4.00.

Are those per litre prices? Golly Molly! I'd be riding a Vespa over there!  It'll feel like stealing it at our prices - - - :)

Cost of 4 liters is the quote.  1 gallon prices

5 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Cost of 4 liters is the quote.  1 gallon prices

Thanks for the clarification, my mistake. Looks like Houston is the go-to place for cheap fuel, according to that map.

Lets hope we meet up!

• Like 1

Wicked campers are a bit of a no no. There has been a huge backlash against what has been written on some. A lot of caravan parks etc wont allow them to stay any more.

Staying in the bush is a good proposition though and you dont really need a 4x4 as most goldfields are accessible by 2wd. I used to drive my 2wd Mercedes Vito Van through all the tracks (often off the tracks) and never got stuck once.

There are often public areas in the small towns close to the goldfields where you can get water etc. Some even have showers. Its not like WA where you're in the middle of nowhere. Generally your only, at most, 1/2hr from a small town. 

It will really come down to your budget and how much comfort you want. I've even just used a swag in the middle of winter. 

Thank you.  That is too bad about the reputation of the Wickeds.  I don't 'need' the bare bones trip at this point in my life.  I'll take a bit of sleeping comfort and walk a lot longer distance especially if I've been given a pointy finger.

I'm not in the shape I was 10 years ago but I've run 21 marathons and run a lot of mountain trails.  My rowdy days are quite over and I haven't had a drink in many years.  I want to go to a pub or two and play some pool and buy some drinks but I don't need any for myself.

I was just thinking I have family back here that will wonder about me so I need to check in on the internet every couple of days so.  I'll sleep in my 4Runner on a few trips here each year but I'll also stay in a motel room and use the internet too.

I see that Ocean Grove has a beach or two.  Does it get any waves and tidal action in May?

Mitch: for communication, Mobile coverage is pretty good in Victoria. 

You can rent a smartphone here, or buy an Aussie Sim card for yours. I recommend Telstra for best coverage.

Yes, beaches can be fickle.

How is your SP01?

24 minutes ago, jrbeatty said:

Mitch: for communication, Mobile coverage is pretty good in Victoria. 

You can rent a smartphone here, or buy an Aussie Sim card for yours. I recommend Telstra for best coverage.

I think getting the card would be good because I'm 'lost' without a Google account and my points on the map.

Does she sound the same giving directions there as she does here?  haha  (I guess they have accents?)

That is my thought.

I just checked on my T-Mobile account for Australia ... a confusing explanation online so I'll call them but most likely I'll get a local sim card for the 3 weeks.