Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

22 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I think getting the card would be good because I'm 'lost' without a Google account and my points on the map.

Does she sound the same giving directions there as she does here?  haha  (I guess they have accents?)

I selected one with an Irish accent - brought back happy memories of hitch hiking Britain years ago as a randy young man - - - :)

US smartphones are apparently compatible with Aus providing they are unlocked. Both use the GSM standard

44 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Keep in mind population Mitchel, Ocean Grove has a population of about 14,000 people in the entire area, Chances of good finds on a beach like that are pretty slim but you never know your luck, you might be the first to bother trying :laugh:.  I know the small population problem all too well ? You may find enough to buy a drink!   It's not going to be like beach detecting in California!

Unless you detect the main city beaches you might find your time best spent prospecting.

Ocean Grove/Barwon Heads is a huge tourist destination. 1/2 of Melbourne turns up during summer, Easter and long weekends. (Holiday times are when I prefer to be up bush. No parking to be found anywhere at the shops, too much traffic etc).

We have Torquay and Bells Beach just down the road with some of the best surf in the world. The home of Rip Curl and Quicksilver.There are 4 caravan parks, hundreds of holiday rental homes and loads of camp grounds. The camp grounds have been operating since the early 1950's.  Also we have the Bellarine Peninsula (Clifton Springs, Drysdale etc) 10 mins away which was the site of early 1900's resorts, old military camps etc.

There are miles of beaches so if you wanted to hit the beach I can join you with my Nox. There is also the Barwon River which is a very fast tidal system so the sand is moving all the time. Only takes a day or so of southerly winds and a section of beach will be re-moved and dumped in another location.

• Like 1

Rip Curl and Quicksilver ... I've got to see them!

I lived on Maui and surfed there for 2 years and went to the North Shore of Oahu to see Pipeline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's strange, when I went there is was dead quiet, I don't remember what time of year it was but it was a quiet little town back then that seemed to mostly thrive on their fruit growing, I lived in Melbourne for a while but that was some time ago now, I guess times change and everything gets busier so what I know is very outdated.   Nothing beats local knowledge so I'd be listening to Steelphase ?

Ripcurl and Quiksilver are Surfboard and clothing brands Mitchel,  I always thought Quiksilver was American, it went bust in 2015 or 2016 from memory.

If you come off season it is quiet. Thats when its at its best lol. Or when the southerlies are blowing hard as it turns the surf into a giant washing machine.

Quicksilver was founded in Torquay but then moved to Huntington Beach. They still have a huge complex in Torquay as do Rip Curl.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm out of likes for the day! 

As a kid I'd take an undershirt and wear it front, back, inside front and inside back before it was 'dirty' but I never did wear anything for a week.  haha

I had not thought of that aspect about the Wickeds.  Has there been any groups that 'target' them for theft?  (Maybe they think anyone that has one is so destitute they would not have anything to steal?)

Hi Mitchel

Geovic and geological maps are all you need to find prospecting locations in Victoria. Do your research at home and mark all your intended prospecting spots onto a GPS before arriving here. Otherwise, you'll find yourself driving around in an unfamiliar area and wasting a lot of time. 

Geovic - The youtube videos below show a basic overview of how to use it. If you need help understanding anything related to Geovic just ask. Make sure you activate the reefs and contour layers, they help a lot in understanding where gold may have shed. http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/maps-reports-and-data/geovic

Geological maps covering a lot of the golden triangle http://earthresources.efirst.com.au/categories.asp?cID=30&c=164920

Another good resource for researching - Trove is a digital Newspaper archive that has a lot of useful information from the old mining days. https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Pandora has a lot of information about the history of mining in Victoria. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/col/13063#13065

Hope some of this info helps you out.

• Like 4

Let me ask about batteries.

I have the 7000 that has a battery pack and I could take my 3030 battery.

I have the Equinox 800 which has internal batteries.

I could take a 2300 which has the rechargeable batteries.

Are all of these allowed?  (Check In or carry on?)

Mitchel