Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

I have both detectors in one box ... I'll talk with Qantas and make sure they won't need to open it up.

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I think the car will be 12V but what is best for plug?

Yep, 12V cigarette lighter plug although most new rental cars will also have at least one X 1 amp USB slot as well.   

• Like 1

Mitchel;

Security requires that they can and will open any container. I would not ship both in one...carry the control boxes on with you, a change of undies and your toothbrush. They can and do screw-up. Fortunately you will be local incase they forget to shop your bags...like they did mine. 

Your GPZ came with many house adaptors...

fred

8 hours ago, Northeast said:

Yep, 12V cigarette lighter plug although most new rental cars will also have at least one X 1 amp USB slot as well.   

I have an inverter that is always charging my detecting equipment whenever the engine is on.  The phone is charged on a separate plug but the USB would be good.

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

Mitchel;

Security requires that they can and will open any container. I would not ship both in one...carry the control boxes on with you, a change of undies and your toothbrush. They can and do screw-up. Fortunately you will be local incase they forget to shop your bags...like they did mine. 

Your GPZ came with many house adaptors...

fred

I found the adaptors but now what plugs on that?  haha  It looks like a separate bracket.

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I have an inverter that is always charging my detecting equipment whenever the engine is on.  The phone is charged on a separate plug but the USB would be good.

A word of caution for Mitchel--- be sure to rotate the USA 12v cigarette ligher plug 180 degrees opposite of how you plug it in here in the USA or it wont work.... things are upside down there and it may overheat or something if you get it reversed.... Just a note--you sure dont want to blow a fuse down there because there fuses are left or right only....

Have fun mate?

• Oh my! 1

Well, I've learned a few things today.  First thing I learned was that my T-mobile account is active in Australia with unlimited texts and data!  That would be good for meetups and maps for sure.  If I need to check my voicemail or talk to someone then I pay $.25 a minute no matter if I make or receive the call.  So a $30 local sim plan with unlimited international calling would let me call my voicemail to see if I need to respond to anything.  This would have come in handy if the dual sim phone I was setting up worked but it had a software problem.

Another thing I learned was that I do need to put all batteries in my carry on bags.  Fred had made a suggestion very similar but I went to the Qantas counter tonight and they told me TSA would open a container, box or suitcase if they see any kind of battery in check on luggage.  The 800 has a built in battery and the brains should be in my carry on bag but it is not necessary for the 7000.  The battery for the 7000 and my old 3030 should be put in my carry on bag also.  They said the remaining portions of the detector should be fine.  We'll see.  (What would they pay if lost or stolen?)

There is no WiFi on Qantas.  bummer

Mitchel

Simon,

Everything comes off the inverter and runs into a power strip that has 2 USBs that I use to charge the 800.  I plug in the transformer for the charger that charges the battery and that charger has a USB where I plug in the WM12.  At times I plug in a AAA battery charger and I use those batteries for my flash lights when I night beach hunt.

It's worked with the two cars I have here.

Mitchel