Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

Well, I'm back from Wedderburn.  I saw a great sunrise on the way there.

I had been given a pointy finger up there because it was supposed to be dryer than the other places.  There were puddles all over the place and you could see running water streamletts from a few days ago.  I don't know what that did for my detecting but I came away without any gold this day.  I've got a pocket full of trash (I left my pouch at Reg's).

The beginning of the day I was on the mullock piles just trying to get started.  In the second half of the day I got a Doug Stone's map for the area and was trying some of the reefs rather than the workings which looked like they were very deep.  At the end I went to Pickles and swung a little before I left.

I left to go look at Inglewood and Kingower.  I didn't get out of the car but that looks like where I'll go back to tomorrow.  My impression is that the workings were not as deep and there is more of a slope to the Long Gully that I could grid if I get something.  I was very much hoping I'd have some color at the end of the day.  I got in 7 hours of swinging and the remainder was looking and driving.

I've put a couple of racing stripes on the rental car under the dirt and mud.  I think someone dinged it with their door at the beach.  When I turn it in it will be dirty and maybe they won't notice!

More later.

IMG_20190513_070834.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well, I'm back from Wedderburn.  I saw a great sunrise on the way there.

I had been given a pointy finger up there because it was supposed to be dryer than the other places.  There were puddles all over the place and you could see running water streamletts from a few days ago.  I don't know what that did for my detecting but I came away without any gold this day.  I've got a pocket full of trash (I left my pouch at Reg's).

The beginning of the day I was on the mullock piles just trying to get started.  In the second half of the day I got a Doug Stone's map for the area and was trying some of the reefs rather than the workings which looked like they were very deep.  At the end I went to Pickles and swung a little before I left.

I left to go look at Inglewood and Kingower.  I didn't get out of the car but that looks like where I'll go back to tomorrow.  My impression is that the workings were not as deep and there is more of a slope to the Long Gully that I could grid if I get something.  I was very much hoping I'd have some color at the end of the day.  I got in 7 hours of swinging and the remainder was looking and driving.

I've put a couple of racing stripes on the rental car under the dirt and mud.  I think someone dinged it with their door at the beach.  When I turn it in it will be dirty and maybe they won't notice!

More later.

IMG_20190513_070834.jpg

Keep atter it.... I only have 4small pieces and got skunked today swinging the 20” NF coil...looking for big uns ?

• Thanks 1

I don't know who told you Mitchel that Wedderburn has no accommodation, as there is a motel in the main street.

Beats me as to why you thought that beach hunting at Bell's beach would turn up anything. You should have contacted Pat ( SteelePhase) as he lives at Ocean Grove, which would have been a much better choice.

• Like 1

Mitchel, by the way, did you happen to pick up a Bendigo Advertiser and read about the Kid who specked a 20oz nugget on Mothers day morning while walking the dog? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I left to go look at Inglewood and Kingower.  I didn't get out of the car but that looks like where I'll go back to tomorrow.

Hey Mitchel, sorry you haven`t found any yet, welcome to Victoria.        Mate up at Inglewood I`ve never got much more than color, but I have friends that have done very well there.    To give you a word of advice, at Inglewood make sure you mark your vehicle on a gps. There are huge areas in Inglewood where if you walk 50 feet from your car you wont be able to see it and particularly if it is a overcast day and you don`t even have the sun as a reference you could wander around for hours and have no clue where you are.  One day up there I plotted the vehicle into the gps on the 7000 and I was just head down and wandering and at the end of the day the GPS was telling me I had to go in the exact opposite direction to where I thought I had to go. The gps was right. I was wrong.          Best of luck tomorrow mate ?

• Like 3

Mitchel;

forget the beach, you can do that at home!

Take advantage of the offers you have from the friendly Aussies...

Running from place to place is not going to get you gold...focus!

On the other hand, if you want to be a tourist the are lots of sights to see...take a drive up to Sofala and areas around...very pretty.

fred

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

I don't know who told you Mitchel that Wedderburn has no accommodation, as there is a motel in the main street.

Beats me as to why you thought that beach hunting at Bell's beach would turn up anything. You should have contacted Pat ( SteelePhase) as he lives at Ocean Grove, which would have been a much better choice.

Mitchel did send me a message but I wasnt on my computer all day so I missed it until it was too late. Bell is great for surfers (none take anything valuable near the water except for their boards) and generally tourists only get as far as the carpark .

As for the gold - you'd be better off picking a spot and giving yourself at least a few days. The first day you'll be buzzing from spot to spot not really covering the ground properly. On the second day you will have gotten over the initial excitement and slowed down. The gold here isnt that easy to find and it takes time and patience (unless your that kid who tripped over a nugget in Bendigo).

• Like 1

I'm an ex-surfer.  Swinging was just part of the trip.  I saw the wave report and HAD to go.  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitchel, by the way, did you happen to pick up a Bendigo Advertiser and read about the Kid who specked a 20oz nugget on Mothers day morning while walking the dog? 

I'll get one!  I was watching waves and visiting Rip Curl.  Is there a map in the story?  

7 hours ago, phoenix said:

Hey Mitchel, sorry you haven`t found any yet, welcome to Victoria.        Mate up at Inglewood I`ve never got much more than color, but I have friends that have done very well there.    To give you a word of advice, at Inglewood make sure you mark your vehicle on a gps. There are huge areas in Inglewood where if you walk 50 feet from your car you wont be able to see it and particularly if it is a overcast day and you don`t even have the sun as a reference you could wander around for hours and have no clue where you are.  One day up there I plotted the vehicle into the gps on the 7000 and I was just head down and wandering and at the end of the day the GPS was telling me I had to go in the exact opposite direction to where I thought I had to go. The gps was right. I was wrong.          Best of luck tomorrow mate ?

So true you are ... yesterday I was in bush where I needed to watch the sun while I was on a reef then I remembered the gps on the 7000.  I also have the phone so it is exactly as you say.  I know JP thinks it is a resource hog but I'm glad it works down here too.  I could walk outside of its distances and then I would need my phone/camera to get back to the car.

• Like 1