Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

21 minutes ago, AussieDigs said:

I agree with Mitchell, focus on enjoying yourself.

Well yes you enjoy what you do for sure.

The first rule of Reg.  Don't look for fly shit.  Fly shit locations is where I found two of my nuggets on hammered mullock piles.  He said in another thread about the 2300:

Reg Wilson

• Silver Contributor
  •  
  • Reg Wilson
  • 248 posts

• Interests: Prospecting Geology History

• Gear Used: QED. Minelab GPX 4000. Polaris 4x4 & tow coil.
  • Joined February 2017

Yes Mitchel, Five bits with the 2300 will just about buy you one of your much loved 'Burger King' indigestibles.

You and kiwijw reacted to this
Haha×

I know there are a few nuggets within range but I also know that everyone tells me I'm not going to find a big nugget in hammered mullock piles.  They hunt for bigger nuggets on the sides and other places that I hope I can learn about over my remaining days with Adam.  I mixed it up today.  I tried for a little guy and also hunted a reef.  This is a very mature game in Victoria.  If you look at the other prospecting forums no one is getting a lot of nuggets in a day.  Guys that know what they are doing do get some better pieces and then there is all the rest of us.

I brought my big game gun on this trip and just like on a safari a squirrel is not a trophy!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I know there are a few nuggets within range but I also know that everyone tells me I'm not going to find a big nugget in hammered mullock piles.  They hunt for bigger nuggets on the sides and other places that I hope I can learn about over my remaining days with Adam.  I mixed it up today.  I tried for a little guy and also hunted a reef.  This is a very mature game in Victoria.  If you look at the other prospecting forums no one is getting a lot of nuggets in a day.  Guys that know what they are doing do get some better pieces and then there is all the rest of us.

I brought my big game gun on this trip and just like on a safari a squirrel is not a trophy!

Hey MN your avin a go on ya, have a hypothetical for you  "I`m thinking of coming over to the US to chase a bit of gold for a few weeks, what advice can you give me to enhance my chances." Please don`t tell me I`m not going to find a big nugget in hammered mullock piles, because someone will as sure as God made little green apples.?

Nah... Enjoy the hunt...……... ya know ya soaking in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There has been some fine analogies recently.  I like this one too.   

DP forum has become detectorphilospher.com  

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I hope I can learn about over my remaining days with Adam

Be warned, I am still but a Grass Hopper.  However, I guess the mind set I have now changed to is 'go big or go home'.  I have the luxury of going some time between nuggets in the hope that those nuggets are sizeable.  I don't envy Mitchel as he does not have the luxury of time on a trip like this.   

But don't worry,  I will be trying to get us on to something decent - it is in the best interests of both of us  ?

• Like 5

Guest AussieDigs
1 hour ago, Norvic said:

Hey MN your avin a go on ya, have a hypothetical for you  "I`m thinking of coming over to the US to chase a bit of gold for a few weeks, what advice can you give me to enhance my chances." Please don`t tell me I`m not going to find a big nugget in hammered mullock piles, because someone will as sure as God made little green apples.?

Nah... Enjoy the hunt...……... ya know ya soaking in it.

Focus! ?

I envy Mitchel for planning and carrying out this wonderful trip. I don't envy him having to make where-to-hunt decisions on the fly in strange (to him), areas. That is difficult no matter how much experience you have. 

I don't have any advice except to echo Fred (focus), and everyone else who is saying enjoy your surroundings- which you seem to be doing. There are a lot of people willing you onto your next nugget. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Norvic said:

..... as sure as God made little green apples.?

Speaking of quotes... I'm sure I will find a way to slip this into my conversations about 10 times today.  Thanks, Norvic!

And good luck in the home stretch, Mitchel. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Speaking of quotes... I'm sure I will find a way to slip this into my conversations about 10 times today.  Thanks, Norvic!

And good luck in the home stretch, Mitchel. 

Nah, not my quote, comes from an everlasting C&W song by Roger Miller, I thought was a Glen Cambell original until I googled it.

https://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/miller-roger/little-green-apples-1156.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I envy Mitchel for planning and carrying out this wonderful trip. I don't envy him having to make where-to-hunt decisions on the fly in strange (to him), areas. That is difficult no matter how much experience you have. 

I don't have any advice except to echo Fred (focus), and everyone else who is saying enjoy your surroundings- which you seem to be doing. There are a lot of people willing you onto your next nugget. 

There are 'tools' here and I've looked them up online and looked at the maps.  I've gone to the workings and even have a video about one I went to a few days ago that looked perfect but who knows how much was detectable in the beginning and how much was removed since.  It is like going to places in The Dale.  How many nuggets are left on the Orange Peel Patch?

Now I think the real research here has to be look at a map and see the workings and then go to places that aren't on the maps!  haha  Was there ever any gold there in the beginning?  ???

Gold does have a story.  We usually find it first and then write the story.

• Like 1