Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

I wish you lots of luck and good times on your upcoming adventure Mitchel. For what it is worth I have never regretted keeping a daily journal and taking a ton of photos on trips like this. It’s easy to get “too busy” but memories fade and for me recording things has been a real blessing. Be safe and have fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Northeast said:

Already!?  You are keen. 

Being May it might be a bit nipply to have too many beach goers.

Have you ever driven on the Left hand side of the road before Mitchell?  If not, maybe don't head directly through the second most populated city in the country  ?   Sorry Phrunt  ?

That's a good idea.  Are you planning on Hotel/Motel/Caravan Park for the entire trip or doing some bush camping?

What machines are you bringing? 

15 minutes from me!

Northeast,

Thanks for the check list.

A winter beach can be ok if there are a few 'waves' bringing objects in!  We have that condition here often.

I've driven in Bangkok in 2011 and 2012 so I hope it comes back to me.

I've only checked on 'pricing' for hotel/motel so far and it seems to be around $75 per night.

My main machines are the 7000 and the EQ 800 (all the coils if needed).  I could bring a 2300.  I can bring JP's booster also.  I think I'll get a pick when I'm there.

Keep the questions coming.  I'm sure someone else will learn from them as I do.

Mitchel

3 hours ago, Chris Ben said:

Best of luck, keep us posted on your adventure!

Chris 

This is somewhat of an open book here for everyone to see much as Paul did his trip.  I learned from the posts on his thread.

• Like 1

I may head there as early as next thursday,XP willing i should have a 22" HF with me ................

RR

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I wish you lots of luck and good times on your upcoming adventure Mitchel. For what it is worth I have never regretted keeping a daily journal and taking a ton of photos on trips like this. It’s easy to get “too busy” but memories fade and for me recording things has been a real blessing. Be safe and have fun!

Well said.  Thanks for the advice.

That brings up the phone I think.  It will have a lot of my pictures.  I have a couple of other 'better' cameras.

Just buy a chip when I get there and stick it in my unlocked phone?

Mitchel

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

On ya, WTG.

One possible disappointment I already have is that I can't spend more time there.  The first place I would add would be up your way Norvic.

Any chance you would make it down to your old haunts in May?

Mitchel

Yeah, Mn my part of AU is not ideal, recently most of the private land I`ve been very fortunate to have access to for 40 + years is no longer available. Property owners have had a gut full of the disrespectful way their land has been used by prospectors/hunters/campers etc. There is some properties that allow access for a fee and provide camping grounds as Paul has found, but it is a big remote area, not ideal for a couple of weeks prospecting.

IMO Victoria offers much more to you folks, who are limited by time, a much smaller concentrated gold "triangle" with excellent access by ordinary vehicles and close by 5 star amenities, that if you wish allows you to travel to each day efficiently, plus but check this is current with NE, has State Forests that allow camping right on the gold. I loved my time in Victoria back in the 90s but as NE advises it gets bloody cold in winter, tis why Victorians travel up here to tropical NQ each winter in the droves. I do not travel distances anymore and am very content with my "backyard" which is a couple of thousand miles from Victoria. Also as per Freds advice, Doug Stones guides/maps are worth their weight in gold, especially in his and NEs "backyard" Victoria.

But as per norm I enjoy taking like minded visitors to some of my old NQ haunts, Paul accompanied me to a few and can give you his perspective which I suspect is far less "biased" then mine. I say biased coz I`m proudly NQ AU born & bred, nothing compares to NQ, NQ people, NQ gold, NQ barra etc etc...……...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

A couple of days ago I pulled the trigger on a solo trip to Australia, Melbourne and Victoria to be exact.  I have the Visa.  I have a Miner's Right.  I'll be there from Thursday morning 8:30AM the 9th of May thru Thursday morning the 30th of May which will make for 20 days of detecting.  It says the highs will be in the high 60s and lows in the 50s.  The sun will rise about 7:30 and set about 5.  There seems to be a fair amount of rain for the month.

I've been reading Fred's books.  He has one of Doug Stone's which is the Gold Atlas of Victoria.  There are also many online resources and several of you here have some great suggestions for me.  My itinerary is open for some nugget prospecting days and a couple of beach days.

My tentative plan would be to get off the plane, rent a vehicle and head to Bendigo area for a motel and then be ready for a hunt the next day.  I might even be up for a hunt the day I arrive ... possibly at a beach.

I'm sure I'll be meeting up with some of the forum members when I'm there so let's just see what happens.

Mitchel

Give me a shout when you're here. There are plenty of other goldfields away from Bendigo that havent been hit quite as hard. I can point you towards a few and maybe even manage to get out myself for a swing.

• Like 4