Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

44 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

My Google Maps only show 'Parks' and not the State Forests

Sorry, I didn't think of that as being an issue.  

Here is a good website for checking out what is what as far as state parks, forests, national parks, reserves, heritage areas, etc.  

http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShareVic/index.html?viewer=MapShareVic.PublicSite&locale=en-AU

And 300 metres from the back fence of the Wedderburn caravan park is the new hot spot  ?

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Northeast said:

And 300 metres from the back fence of the Wedderburn caravan park is the new hot spot

The EMI from the power lines is insane at the back of the caravan park. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jin said:

The EMI from the power lines is insane at the back of the caravan park. 

Good point, everyone stay away  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will be shoulder to shoulder by the time I get back there.

When I stopped at the visitor center they only told me about the hotel next to the cafe where I ate.  The doors to the hotel were locked so I couldn't go in and ask them.

I've never stayed in a caravan park until tonight.  We don't have these things in the states.

5 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I've never stayed in a caravan park until tonight.  We don't have these things in the states.

Isn't that a trailer park?  Or are trailer parks for permanent residents?   

Where to travelling caravaners stay?  Do they just 'free camp'? 

7 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

It will be shoulder to shoulder by the time I get back there.

When I stopped at the visitor center they only told me about the hotel next to the cafe where I ate.  The doors to the hotel were locked so I couldn't go in and ask them.

I call caravan parks over here ‘claim jumper villages’.  

In Victoria they are usually good for a base camp, it’s too bloody cold this time of year in the bush over there.  Last time I was there the owners were very friendly to all the tourists, mention your looking for gold and they give you maps of all the local state forests and areas you are allowed to detect.  They have a friendly group of about half a dozen couples who are there every year and you can sit around the fire an yarn about the days takings, someone might even take you under their wing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Sorry, I didn't think of that as being an issue.  

Here is a good website for checking out what is what as far as state parks, forests, national parks, reserves, heritage areas, etc.  

http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShareVic/index.html?viewer=MapShareVic.PublicSite&locale=en-AU

And 300 metres from the back fence of the Wedderburn caravan park is the new hot spot  ?

That's a good map.  You don't know what you don't know until you find out you don't know!

Can I blame it on jet lag or just stupidity?

• Haha 1

Reg,

I left my bag at your place with the ferrite ring.  I could come by tomorrow on my way to Wedderburn!

Jin, no problem with EMI at the back of the caravan park if you are using a QED.

Mitchel, if you had asked Julie in the Wedderburn cafe for advice she would have given you plenty. Nice lady.

You don't need the ring, unless it makes you feel better. Do a little dance and a quick prayer to the Great God of Nuggets, and it will have the same effect.

My place is not exactly on the way to Wedderburn, but if you can't do without the 'pwecious', I shall leave it on the gatepost if I happen to be out. I have an extra one that I got somewhere along the line, and you can have that as well as it never served any purpose that I could see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Jin, no problem with EMI at the back of the caravan park if you are using a QED.

Mitchel, if you had asked Julie in the Wedderburn cafe for advice she would have given you plenty. Nice lady.

They were very busy.  I asked all of those people at the Visitor Center.  I got to them because I was listening to their radio program and they said that over $300,000 in nuggets had been found recently.  I did find the old stamping mill and the location of the roundup.  The girl at the visitor center wasn't there then.  A couple of the other people inside said "If you find a nugget you have to give us 50%!"  Then they said if you do find one come back and show us.  I bought a map from them and they had some handouts but nothing specific.

I've read what some of the guys who go to the roundup say.  They didn't say where they went either.

Trent is the first one to spill the beans!