Headed For The Land Down Under

mn90403

Ok, is there any truth in my revelation just now that the old detectors couldn't find bbs and that is why there are so many still there?

When I was detecting I found in many cases that the areas had been worked quite thoroughly but there were still bbs everywhere.  Could there ever be a situation that the old machines couldn't find the bbs in these locations but they found the bigger gold?

I found when using a GPZ that with experience one could tell the difference between shotgun pellets and tiny gold. A mate and I worked a patch of over 120 small colors which was also littered with pellets. The biggest color was only 3 grams. I left the pellets in the ground.

I later took a Minelab agent to that site when they scoffed at my claim of being able to tell the difference. They then went over the area with an SDC, and found nothing but pellets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reg Wilson said:

I found when using a GPZ that with experience one could tell the difference between shotgun pellets and tiny gold. A mate and I worked a patch of over 120 small colors which was also littered with pellets. The biggest color was only 3 grams. I left the pellets in the ground.

Small gold, eh?  In our areas, 3g is called a whopper :)

"That the old detectors couldn't find bbs and that is why there are so many still there?"

..........NO...........    The old Whites and Garrets DS & A2B and Detec could all pick up Shotgun pellets. Maybe some people went to fast (after the worth while nuggets) or were not skilled enough. And lot of pellets have been shot in the last 40 odd years.

• Like 3

I can tell a bb now with 90% accuracy because I can easily tell when the sound is not a bb.  In my latter days out I was skipping many of the bb sounds so I could get to other sounds but they were few and far between.

Out of the hundreds of targets I dug while in Victoria I can still hear the 4 gold targets I dug as unique and had that gold potential sound just like hearing the first note of an old song.  You know the tune that is going to follow.

Sometimes I just had to give my back a stretch and bend over and dig a target for exercise.  There might be another target under it!

• Like 1

Another post trip revelation about the car.  

To avoid a Premium Station Charge I would rent a car for a day, turn it in at a non-Premium Station location and get another car!  This may also help with the scratches and put scratches on several cars rather than all on one!

If anyone has a long car rental coming up, try it ... I might have used that line at the counter if I knew it was coming and I bet they would have waived the charge rather than me checking in and out two cars.

54 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

"That the old detectors couldn't find bbs and that is why there are so many still there?"

..........NO...........    The old Whites and Garrets DS & A2B and Detec could all pick up Shotgun pellets. Maybe some people went to fast (after the worth while nuggets) or were not skilled enough. And lot of pellets have been shot in the last 40 odd years.

Yeah, the A2B & Detec maybe to an extent but only surface or near surface bbs the Z goes much deeper then those or any VLF since. Remember the A2B & Detech were high frequency for those days, the GB 1 & 2 & the GM blew them away in BB and small gold sensitivity. 

• Like 1

Early detectors with small coils could find pellets, but modern detectors find them deeper.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Early detectors with small coils could find pellets, but modern detectors find them deeper.

Some of my bbs were 4 inches deep ... why?  Many of the bbs were under a lot of tree litter on top also.  You could foot scrape some of them away but not all.

• Like 1

Oh, now I remember the question I wanted to ask about bbs and shotguns.

What the hell were they hunting with them?  Is there a tasty bird that everyone just had to have from all of the gold areas?

Some of these are more modern but I'd have to say that the shells were very few and far between.  Maybe they were found by the other detectorists?