When i bought the house i didnt realize that there was an old gold prospect in the backyard.  An old history report from around 1860 says that an 18 inch wide quartz vein prospected by open trenches and that pan washing the crushed ore yielded good results.  A pan of the soil pretty much always give 5 to 20 colors and abundant magnetite crystals.  I have metal detected the area a good bit and have found plenty of hot rocks and hot ground but no detectable gold yet.  I will be doing a loaming program and trenching to located the specific gold bearing vein.  Then maybe decide to dig a root cellar. lol

In the video i run a highbanker in the little feeder close to the old prospect and about 100 yards from my back door.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That would be a dream to true for me too.  I'm very excited for you.

It was a nice find!  I need to take the time and locate the vein.  The skim of placer gravels on top of the decomposed bedrock is difficult to run due to the amount of clay and topsoil, the lack of water isnt helpful either.

Im basically using it as an opportunity to learn more about loaming and locating hard rock vein sources, then from there to learn about hardrock mining.  

I find it interesting that in the 1860s they stated that pan washing the crushed vein material produced good results.  If it was good result for those days it should be pretty good with today's gold prices.  

Thanks for the interest.  And ill keep you guys updated as i slowly move forward with my plans.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Mannnn, talk about being nearly as far NE in the Gold-Pyrite Belt as is possible to get..?! Kewl..!

And I as well could be forced into learning to deal with dipping a pan off my back porch.. :smile:

Yes, please do keep us updated as you move forward.. I'm thinking if the old-timers did their job well there should be no more major auferous veining for you to find.. But that doesn't mean they did; nor does it mean there isn't plenty more Au yet to be had, as you're already showing..

While exploring, do include trying to locate their mining dump site(s).. Depending how coarse they crushed there could be a goodly amount of gold still locked up in tailings etc..

Hoping you're able to locate sources and/or accumulation points..

Swamp