Jump to content
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By IdahoPeg
      Been back from wintering in Florida for over a month, and the weather finally got nice so headed to northern Nevada to meet up with some friends and nugget hunt. I got there a day before the others, so took off on the quad to look for new spots. Love the freedom the atv gives me out there, and the scenery is great!

      I explored some higher ravines and washes, and actually got a nice little .68g nugget a couple inches down at the edge of a wash. Unfortunately, after quite a few hours hitting the area pretty hard, that was the lone piece.
      We looked for new patches about 60-70% of the next week, and hit a couple old ones the rest of the time. Lots of skunked days. I did get 3 more pieces at a pounded patch, and another while detecting an alluvial fan off the mountains for the first time....Chet got one there too, but the gold was so scattered and random...no patches to be found. While wandering around I noticed this little guy....he wasn’t shy at all, jumped from rock to bush, and waited patiently for me to turn my phone on to get his pic.

      Here’s my take for the trip....much smaller than usual for my Nevada outings. Very tough hunting, but a great time anyway. Enjoyed some delicious meals with the guys(Tom is an incredible camp chef!), Chet had repaired and souped up my dry washer over the winter so it’s ready for action up at the cabin, and George found some amazing crystals and gave me a couple cool ones. Brian even made a cameo appearance, and as usual found some nice gold in a short time!

      So the sun sets on another detecting adventure....can’t wait for the next one!

    • By Condor
      Tough sledding out here in WA.  We've put in a lot of miles exploring along the "line of strike" gold producing zone.  We generally start from old Drill Site roads or old pushes and do a 1/4 mile up and back grid along the likely areas.  The few we're finding are where weathering has exposed deeper ground on the old pushes, plus the Z 7000 can find tiny gold the original detectors missed.  They didn't miss much based on our return so far. 
      Our hearts were thumping yesterday when I got a deep low tone way down in the caprock.  Luckily Nurse Paul was nearby and brought over the jackhammer.  Paul put in a yeoman's effort on the hammer, Dennis and I traded off digging out the hole.  We waved over the hole with everything we had, GPX, GPZ and 2300, and with the exception of the 2300 it all sounded good, but it just never improved even after we were down over a foot.  Finally even the 2300 was giving us a signal and we gave up for the evening.  Paul went back this morning and finally pulled out some kind of hot rock, the story is much more detailed, but that's the jist.  No doubt Paul has his version of events.
      The weather has turned nasty, threatening rain and gusty winds.  Camp Yank took some damage from the wind, turned over the prep table for cooking.  Pots, pans, plates and everything associated got dumped into the dirt.  Paul cleaned it up considerably, but I think he left some soap on my dinner plate, cuz I'm feeling a bit puny this morning.  We have the gazebo anchored on each end with an ATV to keep it from blowing away.  
      Dennis gold photo is his cumulative, mine shows this weeks finds only.  It's just a matter of time till we hit a big one.
      Flies continue to be a menace, they just don't quit.  They're having a tough time today with these gusty winds, but they'll find a way.


    • By klunker
      This is from a local news report.
        A local prospector known as Sourdough Scott is being investigated for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Not only a single child but it appears an entire forth grade class may have been involved. The local police claim to have surveillance photos of Sourdough Scott teaching several young children about prospecting , local history and then shamelessly showing them how to pan for gold.
       Many parents were understandably very upset." I have spent thousands of dollars on video games and a big screen T.V.", said Mrs. Adit," but now all my child wants to do is play outside with a $5.00 gold pan. What's a mother to do". It has also been reported that a rogue gang of forth grade children, who call themselves "The Company" Turned on all of the neighborhood outside faucets and sprinklers then channeled the water at a one half percent grade for several thousand feet South of town and began washing off an entire vacant lot. It yielded $67.95 per cubic yard in gold with a fair showing of silver and a trace of platinum. 2000 cubic yard were washed with 150.000 yards remaining. (investors wanted). 
       Sourdough Scott has apparently taken flight to avoid prosecution and could not be reached for comment.
       This report may have been based on some poor  information by an unreliable source.Namely a miscreant prospector referred to as Klunker. We now know that this was a scheduled activity for the  local forth grade class and Mr. Sourdough Scott took an entire day off during his busiest time of year to assist with an annual Living History Program for the school. Though Mr. Sourdough Scott doesn't even have kids he works with them in an exceptionally expert fashion.
    • By Condor
      We're still getting dialed in for the WA conditions.  In many places we can run the GPZ on High Yield, Difficult, with a Sens between 10 and 15.  We've hit some old patches that have been scraped, then trying to venture out around them to see if the patch might continue.  These places have been detected pretty well, all have dig holes scattered through them.  We've had some minor success, I hit a 3 gram piece right off the go, from there it's been nothing but tiddler scraps.  Surprisingly small pieces that Difficult mode sings out on them.  All very shallow though.
      The weather is crazy.  Cold mornings needing a hoodie, then warming up to weather more suitable for shorts.  We've seen a few 'roos and a couple Emus, other than that it's just flies and more flies. We've tried some cream they use for the horses, seems to last an hour or so then the  flies are back with a vengeance.  The quit just before sundown and don't come back till it starts to warm up in the morning.  Just part of the challenge.
      Our totals to date.  Dennis had a couple day headstart, but I'm trying to catch up.

    • By jrbeatty
      NASA’s Mars 2020 will land in Jezero Crater, pictured here. The image was taken by instruments on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which regularly takes images of potential landing sites for future missions.
      On ancient Mars, water carved channels and transported sediments to form fans and deltas within lake basins. Examination of spectral data acquired from orbit show that some of these sediments have minerals that indicate chemical alteration by water. The sediments contain clays and carbonates (courtesyNASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/WUWT)
      Can't wait to wave a coil over those outwash gravel deposits. 
      At least there's no BB's and rusty nails, could be a few metallic meteorites though - - -
      Luckily, I've got an old hot air balloon under the house somewhere - and warm winter woolies, so I'll see all you good people later. Wish me luck - - -
      I offered to take Reg along on the expedition - but he declined the invitation - can't for the life of me understand why? Not like him at all  ;<)
    • By Condor
      We started our journey on Sunday from PHX to SFO.  First leg was no problem.  At SFO things deteriorated.  After arrival the airline departure board showed 1 Sydney departure logically in the international terminal 2 hrs hence.  We made our way to the international terminal and settled in for a wait.  I checked the departure board several times, only one Sydney departure showing a minor delay.  At boarding time our boarding passes were rejected, wrong flight.  They really couldn't help us with why there was only one Sydney flight and we weren't on it.  We scurried back up to the main terminal, one Sydney flight now boarding, but upon closer examination a different flight number.  There was no help desk to be seen so in desperation I Googled our flight number.  Google said terminal A, and we were in terminal G.  Again checked the departure board, one Sydney flight showing, not ours.  We discovered that terminal A was a long way from here, after a mad dash we discovered that not only was terminal A way over there, it required leaving the secured terminal and going through security again.  Yep, the security queue was clogged with the unwashed masses and the chances of us making the flight dwindled to nil.  Oh no.  So we went to look for the Qantas desk to try and fix our problem.  No luck, Qantas has windows open from 6:00pm to 10:00pm.  So I called Qantas and got an English as a Second Language(ESL) clerk, barely intelligible given airport noise and accent.  Basically she told me I was F'd and that our entire ticket would be cancelled, no refund.  I knew better than to argue at this point and called our booking agent Orbitz.  Again, ESL but a sincere effort to help.  After some long hold time we discovered that Qantas was closed for the night, but that they would work on it.  I booked a $300.00 hotel room for the night and went out to catch the shuttle.  The hotel clerk assured me the shuttle would pick us up at 12:52.  At 1:25 I surrendered, the hotel said they would reimburse me for a cab.  
      Next day, Orbitz came through and re-booked our flight for the same time, same terminal A.  I asked about our baggage, "can't help you there", take it up with the Qantas counter at 6:00pm.  First in line at Qantas 6:00pm they told me that our baggage was downstairs and would be re-tagged and put on the flight.  Are you sure?  Indeed, when you get to the gate you can check with them.  Of course the gate assured us that naturally our baggage was on the flight.   NOT.
      Well we caught the flight and I found that economy seats are, well economical.  I had a middle seat for a 15 hr flight.  My row mates were tolerable, but the aisle seat went to sleep and I hated to be an ugly American and wake him up just to stretch my legs.  At about the 10 hr mark, I couldn't resist and woke him up.  He was pleasant enough about the whole thing.  Curiously, the young lady next me boarded very last and arrived in sweaty dither.  She later told me that the Departure board showed only one Sydney flight, the same one I encountered the day before, and that she discovered the mistake in time to sprint through the terminal and security was very kind to move her to the head of the line, just in time to make final boarding.  She was much younger, fitter and prettier than me, so she pulled it off in time.  
      We arrived Sydney and went to claim our baggage to clear customs for our continuation flight to Perth.  Surprise, no baggage.  We went to the claims desk to make all the necessary notifications and almost missed our connection to Perth sans baggage.  
      To make a long story tolerable, we're in Perth with 3 of 4 bags.  3 arrived at the hotel last night, the 4th won't arrived until after we make our flight to Meekatharra.  Qantas assures us the 4th bag will get couriered out to us verily.  Naturally, that bag has Dennis's detector in it.  I guess he can dig targets for me and Paul in the meantime.
      So, the journey begins...  Stay tuned for our misadventures in the Summer of OZ.
      I'm typing at 5:00 am local, suffering from jet lag.  Hopefully Steve will edit as necessary.  
  • Create New...