Drive To Nearest Gold?

Drive time to nearest gold  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your driving time to your nearest gold prospecting location.

• 30min
    • 1hour
    • 2hour
    • 3hour
    • 4hour
    • > 5 hour

18 hours ago, fredmason said:

Flowdog...

Klunker and others got all the gold...just teasing.

If you want to learn to pan very fine gold, go down to Jamison Creek-on the Highway 70 side and get all you want. You won't get rich but it is excellent practice.

I never found any nuggets detecting back in 1980-83....but, there were plenty of coins and relics...watch out for the forest serve-less...

Best wishes

fred

fred, Thanks for the gold all gone dramatic moment - just teasing ?

Seriously, thanks for the Jamison Creek mention. I have fished it a few times. I may head down there with my shining new PAN and see how frozen the creek area is. 

I  am intimately aware of USFS (my previous job was water rights related) but since I have yet to attempt detecting on a USFS reserve what possible imposition would they deem I am imposing? It's not like I am bringing my backhoe to the scene of the crime. I suppose I could swing by and ask point blank. But I think I'll let them confiscate my pan if it is ruining Blunt-Nosed Leopard Lizard habitat.

My main focus now is purchasing a detector primarily for gold prospecting and some exploring old sites for relics. I'd like to get started early and work according to this spring's runoff cycle. By the looks of the Middle Fork Feather River atm we are going to have a major spring. Reading Steve's 2019 version of the Deus it seems to me all-rounded while "very hot for small gold". ??

If ya have the time and are ever in your old neck of the woods, I'd be glad to meet you in person and take the opportunity to learn what you would be willing to teach me. If you have a suggestion for a rig, by all means, toss it my way.

Thanks again for the panning tip,

Curtis

19 hours ago, klunker said:

Cogswell Ravine .18minutes, 27 seconds.

Now Fred and Flowdaog both owe me one.

Hi klunker, and thank you for putting me forever in your debt. does your time to gold take into consideration icy roads? I am sure I can meet the 18 minute part under any and all circumstances, but the 27 seconds concerns me greatly. 

Now I just need a metal detector. I have put hours in research and am leaning toward a general purpose rather than dedicated gold detector. Any guidance at this point in time would be fine by me.

This should probably be a separate post...

I think the equinox would be an excellent do-anything-detector...

I meant down river from jamison  creek....there is a bridge to a camp, in the bedrock on the highway 70 side...

I also sniped some gold in the river there using a facemask....the sand bar should be good for detecting too.

thanks for the invite...I don't get that way much...

Antiquities act- read the law and then talk your  local FS person.

fred

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

This should probably be a separate post...

I think the equinox would be an excellent do-anything-detector...

I meant down river from jamison  creek....there is a bridge to a camp, in the bedrock on the highway 70 side...

I also sniped some gold in the river there using a facemask....the sand bar should be good for detecting too.

thanks for the invite...I don't get that way much...

Antiquities act- read the law and then talk your  local FS person.

fred

Very much obliged to you fred. I take very much to heart the rules, laws, and courtesies with regard to the various rights of owners, and the structured playing field this hobby might bring into my life. I simply could not ever enjoy having to look over my shoulder. Just appreciate the Antiquities Act nudge very much. The suggestions and descriptions are very kind also.

So, it was good making acquaintance and I  look forward to crossing paths again on different topics. I think I'll take up Steve's, "Where're My Newbies?" and ask questions I have.

Regards.

• Like 1