Re Circulating Sluice Set Up

On 3/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, johnedoe said:

Thank you stick. I got the syphon idea off you tube, the one 1515Art linked to.  It works really well... Keeps up with the pump no problem.

If I decided to up the GPH I just would add another syphon ..... Easy to do though.

Hey John, nice setup and what size pump and pvc tubes are you using? Reason I ask I’ve been playing with a 1200gph bilge pump ok for the small sluice but worthless powering a small 12v suction nozzle so I ordered hmmm... a total of 3 new 12v pumps to try out that should give better head?? first one gets delivered Wednesday, next on Friday and the first pump I ordered s coming from Korea in April. They range from 1000gph with 7m lift to 4000gph 9m lift (2000gph @ 9m) and I’ve been using a 2” syphon and am wondering if I’ll need more. Also the 4000gph pump pulls 20amps at 12v so I’m also not sure if that’ll be any issues other than sucking the battery dry faster?

10 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Hey John, nice setup and what size pump and pvc tubes are you using? Reason I ask I’ve been playing with a 1200gph bilge pump ok for the small sluice but worthless powering a small 12v suction nozzle so I ordered hmmm... a total of 3 new 12v pumps to try out that should give better head?? first one gets delivered Wednesday, next on Friday and the first pump I ordered s coming from Korea in April. They range from 1000gph with 7m lift to 4000gph 9m lift (2000gph @ 9m) and I’ve been using a 2” syphon and am wondering if I’ll need more. Also the 4000gph pump pulls 20amps at 12v so I’m also not sure if that’ll be any issues other than sucking the battery dry faster?

Hey Art.....

The pump is 1000 GPH and the tubing is 2 1/2".

It keeps up with the pump nicely but you can see a slight difference in water level between the two tubs.

If I went any bigger with the pump I would either have to increase the size of the syphon tube or add another.

As to your using bilge pumps for your suction nozzle ... They just don't produce enough pressure to be efficient. You need something that will supply high pressure water to create an adequate venturi in the nozzle.

I also think the power requirements for all those pumps is going to be staggering ... You might want to look into something like this. it only weighs 14 pounds and will deliver all the water you likely will need for your applications.

https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-2-Stroke-Gas-Powered-Portable-Water/dp/B00UW76VAO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00UW76VAO

Or this one from Harbor Freight...... https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-79cc-gasoline-engine-clear-water-pump-35-gpm-63404.html  

The pump from amazon has a throttle control.... Not sure about the Harbor Freight pump.

But .....Noisy little beasts as are any gas engines...

Just some thoughts.... Good luck on your endeavors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnedoe said:

As to your using bilge pumps for your suction nozzle ... They just don't produce enough pressure to be efficient. You need something that will supply high pressure water to create an adequate venturi in the nozzle.

I also think the power requirements for all those pumps is going to be staggering ... 

Thanks John, kind of what I thought and why I held off on the 20 amp pump at first, I bought 2 smaller 12v utility pumps  (8amp) and (12amp) both will develop 7m lift delivering half their rated volume at 15’ I tested my nozzle with an old harbor freight sump pump and the suction was really strong even against several feet of head and a severely kinked discharge hose so I think the utility pumps will work. The 4000gph rule utility pump @ 20 amps 9m lift is discontinued only available from 1 source and they only had 3 available and I couldn’t find another 12v pump to match the performance so I bought 1 for $225.  With a 90amp hr deep cycle I could get I think 2.5 hrs of suction time at 50% if I’m reading everything right?  I’ll post a thread after I get the pumps and test everything out.

• Like 1

Battery ratings can be a little misleading. I would only count on about 1/2 to 2/3 of the battery rating.

Also lead acid has a voltage/power curve... you will get less volume from your pump as you use available battery reserves. a Lithium battery however will maintain the 12 volts right up to the point it dead... well almost anyway..... But who wants to spend a thousand bucks on a lithium battery...lol

Anyway much success in your endeavors.

By the way.... Where are you going to be using your setup? Is it for areas that are easily accessible or do you have to hump all that gear into your site?

• Like 1

John, all the battery stuff is confusing and making my head hurt I’ve been slowly getting the idea about the different calculations and ratings between 120v vs 12v what amp hrs, cranking amps, peak amps and the different issues with discharge rates, the manufactures seem to rely on the confusion. I’m still a little confused about advantages and disadvantages of lithium vs agm I think I read something about lithium while being able to deliver power at a constant 12v evenly through it discharge capacity but that came at sacrifice of lower peak output over long discharge duration to a comparable rated agm deep cycle? And yes can’t believe how crazy expensive they are got to find a source of used cells I can recycle.

one of the clubs I belong to has a couple of wet claims out of California I’m sure I can run a battery operated device on, probably better to just take the Honda pump except then it not just going to be the pump and I’ll have to add the utility trailer?

Maybe this vid will give you some clarity.

While it is geared to RVs... power consumption is power consumption...... the guy gives you some good info and tests for comparisons.

https://www.cousinsrv.com/video-gallery

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

Maybe this vid will give you some clarity.

While it is geared to RVs... power consumption is power consumption...... the guy gives you some good info and tests for comparisons.

https://www.cousinsrv.com/video-gallery

Thanks John, added that link to my favorites a lot of useful information there.

Still expensive, but if the quality is any good and work as claimed one of these might be an option if I really want to run the 20amp pump for anything more than 20 minutes or so? The first one posted is a little over $800 the second battery was listed around $390

4DD86CE3-F8C3-4D7C-94BC-D58D40A18BD1.thumb.jpeg.49a3af252e4858acbca4cc39149f48be.jpeg7B6B6128-5BFA-4FA1-9783-C145FBDC6A5A.thumb.jpeg.0c4c6f22da28e82ac1b768661b80ec3c.jpeg

FA69CA0B-481C-4965-B0E5-DBC0B0A78447.thumb.jpeg.ca7a57654472ce174d8478d82bbbe9df.jpeg