Booster Speaker Information

On 2/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Volume control on the B&Z is not stepped. Volume is set to suit local ambient noise so generally there is no favourite level. The key is hearing a smooth stable threshold which is then controllled by the booster dependant on external noise levels. In the case of headphones, the booster can also help but depending on the amount of volume the headphones can achieve determines the level of volume you need to put out from the detector, I generally recommend lowering the detectors volume then using the booster to increase the volume to a comfortable level. Some headphones do not reach this critical point no matter how much volume you use on the detector, hence needing the B&Z to get the volume loud enough without increasing/elevating detector noise. I am not a fan of the Volume control on the 7000 or the Target Volume control on the GPX series, they are too steppy and lift the noise floor to unacceptable levels without really improving the fainter targets.

Best bet with headphones is to have a reasonable sized target that gets the detector to reach Max volume when the coil is right on the target and adjust the Volume of the booster there (in the case of the GPX and GPZ start at Target Volume of 8 and be prepared to go lower), then listen to the threshold and confirm if you can hear it clearly, especially any faint variations in the threshold. I usually increase the booster volume a touch till a close to coil target is bordering on slightly uncomfortable, especially if I am working deep ground with minimal trash signals. Adjusting the Target Volume of the detector one point at a time can also help a lot to even out the threshold without affecting the outright max volume.

JP

Great advice, thanks!

All the best,

Lanny

On 2/21/2019 at 3:40 AM, Northeast said:

A high threshold and a loud threshold are 2 different things although you may not have meant what I am reading into it.

Most take their threshold down to a point of where it can't be heard and then raise it up a notch at a time until it is a nice steady hum.  On the GPZ this means starting at about 23 and usually ending up about 27 (which is also the factory default from memory).  It means a 6' 6" person is standing in 6' of water.  Their head is just out and they can hum.

If you set your threshold much HIGHER then you are likely to miss small targets as they can't breach through the higher level.  It is the same 6' 6" person but now you've put them in 7' of water - they just can't get high enough for you to hear them  - even if they stand on their toes.  If you are lucky enough to get a big target that is fine because the person then jumps like a madman and gets his head above water. 

Once you have your water (threshold) set at the right height you can use your booster to take that steady threshold as LOUD as you like - make them whisper, make them talk, make them yell.  A lot of that depends on your surrounds.  Noisy water, noisy leaf litter, busy road, quiet expanse of the outback. 

And, of course, you can use the detector to change the pitch of the 'voice' to suit your hearing.  I know most old people I see at work can understand me because I have a low pitch voice - and I talk slow because I'm a dopey ruckman  ?

I hope that analogy makes sense and I hope I'm not telling 'Grandma how to suck eggs'. 

Also happy for someone to poke holes in my analogy if it is a bit off the mark. 

As you have an SPo1 Phrunt, it would also be interesting to hear from SteelPhase where the settings other than volume come into play in that analogy - if they do at all? 

NE. 

All kinds of great advice coming out of this thread, thanks Northeast!

All the best,

Lanny

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

Maybe we will end up agreeing to disagree or maybe I am interpreting the word audio differently to you. .............

That is what I meant when I said that I am surprised the audio is not better.   The quality of the audio getting to the WM12 might be great but the volume of the sound coming out of the speaker isn't.  Unless of course you turn up detector Volume and Target Volume and then you start impacting audio quality as you pointed out. The fact that the flagship detector from Minelab needs any sort of aftermarket booster is poor.

This is the whole point of this thread, you need something like the B&Z to deliver better quality audio to your ears that the WM12 using its own speaker in combination with the Target Volume cannot do. IMHO the Target Volume controls of the GPX and GPZ are too coarse to give effective audio volume control, either through a directly connnected speaker to the battery on the GPX or the inbuilt speaker of the WM12.

JP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, AvrilPress said:

Hi...i want to know how can I increase or boost my PC volume above the maximum allowed?My speakers/headphones have no external volume control and the PC's volume control settings are already maxxed out.
This is for streaming audio, so I can't use audio editing software to convert it.

If you are using external speakers or headphones there are numerous audio boosters you could use.

• 6 months later...

Greetings, gentlemens!
Will any of sound boosters/enhancers/amplifiers for metal detectors work adequately with the Minelab Sovereign?

Have anybody conducted any compatibility tests with this metal detector?
Best regards!
Slava

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... with a 70 volt system you would need speakers that have variable tap settings, so that you can adjust the wattage based on how many speakers you have running in parallel with the amp, also as a factor of the amp's power output. Not sure if these speakers are capable - most that I've seen are variable in certain increments and also have selections for standard 8 ohm setups.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, rocsta said:

Greetings, gentlemens!
Will any of sound boosters/enhancers/amplifiers for metal detectors work adequately with the Minelab Sovereign?

Have anybody conducted any compatibility tests with this metal detector?
Best regards!
Slava

I have worked on the Brother of the Sovereign and experimented with several audio amps. They work on the Minelab Excalibur but only using All metal where you can seperate the Threshold from the volume. One of the better was DOC's Audio amp. See if I can pull up some old pictures. I did end of finding I could make a set of head phones that worked as good as the Amped up set and water proof. 

• Like 2