1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Is that a stepped attenuator for the volume control

Fred and I seem to have a similar level of technology prowess 😁  The B&Z volume control could be described as an infinite control I think, rather than stepped.  There are not just 8 click, click, click settings but you can let the control rest anywhere from Off to Max. 

I liked the B&Z on the GPZ simply for the volume control.  B&Z got sold with the Z though. 

Again I am not a techno wiz but I didn't hear or be annoyed by any hiss or buzz that people mention when they talk about boosters.   Of course my cerebral audio processing functions are probably quite inferior to others  😉

• Thanks 1

Ahh thanks, so yes it is a normal POT volume control, just by the way the sticker was it looked like it was stepped and I was wondering why it would be done that way as normally the stickers would look like this for a POT volume control

sound-knob-audio-control-volume-512.png

and like this for a stepped one

Knob-512.png

I was just thinking perhaps JP had found a benefit to having it stepped, like quickly getting you to your favorite volume level without having to fine tune it like on a more detailed POT volume knob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

What made you stop using Boosters Norvic? what made you think they're of little use?  Or were they just annoying with another thing to charge and extra wires and so on.

Well I guess it is time related. I used many boosters/enhancers over the years, more then the photo shows, I believed they helped me find more gold. Then I became more "relaxed" comfortable in my ability, perhaps even arrogantly confident. Once I reached that stage I got back to basics, realised by far for me the best approach to getting more gold was keep it simple (KISS), then when the Z came out, no more wires hanging around, things plugged in, wireless all the way  and further to that I got rid of a lot of other preconceived ideas I`d formed over the years eg. where to look.

I still carry a booster/enhancer in my vehicle because I know for success in this hobby one has to keep an open mind. 

• Like 5

Different boosters react differently to various speakers, headphones and earbuds. While giving a background hum or hiss on one system, on another the audio may be fine. Transmitters too can effect the performance of boosters, and the consensus of opinion seems to be that any booster should be on the RX rather than the TX.

I guess it is a matter of taste, as some people find boosters beneficial, while others do not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Different boosters react differently to various speakers, headphones and earbuds. While giving a background hum or hiss on one system, on another the audio may be fine. Transmitters too can effect the performance of boosters, and the consensus of opinion seems to be that any booster should be on the RX rather than the TX.

I guess it is a matter of taste, as some people find boosters beneficial, while others do not.

Do you like boosters Reg?  I'm just interested to see how many of the experienced prospectors use them.

Well Simon, there will be many who don't agree with me (nothing unusual) but like Norvic I don't use them these days. As pointed out by a well known Australian prospecting personality, boosters cannot create a signal that the detector has not already recognized and audibly responded to.

In earlier days of the VLF detectors, some had a volume that seemed a bit soft, so signal enhancers were widely used to boost the response, however the latest generation of pulse induction machines have more volume control, and generally do not require further enhancement. I prefer to have noise reduction to eliminate distracting outside sound, and even 'white noise' that is not even noticeable until noise cancelling is switched on. Most of the WiFi systems, which I favor have, have a volume control, with the Sennheiser system having volume control on both the transmitter and the headphones. (These H/phones are not noise cancelling, but very good) With TX volume control and N/C I find I have as good a clear and unobstructed audio as I could wish for.

It's a 'different strokes for different folks' scenario, and I've had situations where I have picked up a mates detector to have a listen to an uncertain signal he has picked up, only to think, "my God how can he run a machine like that?" Threshold way up, with the machine 'screaming its tits off',  the pitch so high its deafening, and running a booster as well. The perfect way to go deaf. Maybe some people are partly deaf and need a booster. The way I like to run is with threshold only just there, tone way down low, noise cancelling on, and cordless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2019 at 11:26 AM, phrunt said:

...............I was just thinking perhaps JP had found a benefit to having it stepped, like quickly getting you to your favorite volume level without having to fine tune it like on a more detailed POT volume knob.

Volume control on the B&Z is not stepped. Volume is set to suit local ambient noise so generally there is no favourite level. The key is hearing a smooth stable threshold which is then controllled by the booster dependant on external noise levels. In the case of headphones, the booster can also help but depending on the amount of volume the headphones can achieve determines the level of volume you need to put out from the detector, I generally recommend lowering the detectors volume then using the booster to increase the volume to a comfortable level. Some headphones do not reach this critical point no matter how much volume you use on the detector, hence needing the B&Z to get the volume loud enough without increasing/elevating detector noise. I am not a fan of the Volume control on the 7000 or the Target Volume control on the GPX series, they are too steppy and lift the noise floor to unacceptable levels without really improving the fainter targets.

Best bet with headphones is to have a reasonable sized target that gets the detector to reach Max volume when the coil is right on the target and adjust the Volume of the booster there (in the case of the GPX and GPZ start at Target Volume of 8 and be prepared to go lower), then listen to the threshold and confirm if you can hear it clearly, especially any faint variations in the threshold. I usually increase the booster volume a touch till a close to coil target is bordering on slightly uncomfortable, especially if I am working deep ground with minimal trash signals. Adjusting the Target Volume of the detector one point at a time can also help a lot to even out the threshold without affecting the outright max volume.

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Reg and JP for your excellent replies.  Both full of valuable information.  I tend to run my detectors too noisy as indicated by KiwiJW, I am working on toning that down 🙂 I think I've my threshold set way too high too judging by what Reg said as I have quite a loud threshold.  JP also had great advice about lowing my detectors volume and letting the booster take care of raising it to keep unwanted noise down along with much other useful information in his post.  All good advice which I appreciate.  I've printed both your replies out so I can follow them next time I'm prospecting! Thanks again.

The reason I'm following this thread so closely is because I know it's an area I need to work on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reg Wilson said:

It's a 'different strokes for different folks' scenario, and I've had situations where I have picked up a mates detector to have a listen to an uncertain signal he has picked up, only to think, "my God how can he run a machine like that?" Threshold way up, with the machine 'screaming its tits off',  the pitch so high its deafening, and running a booster as well. The perfect way to go deaf.

Same here especially the "screaming tits off" . No doubt all methods of use of MDs is personal and individual, although I have noticed over the years and I stress this is a personal observation, successful long term prospectors I have prospected with go for a steady low threshold but I`ve only prospected with a few plus they are a wee sun touched...…...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1