Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

Tiny Tiny Zed Gold

nice it beats a skunk any day

• Thanks 1

Nice gold!

That is a wicked leg-hold trap...probably for fox? I doubt anyone has made jaw like that for 50 years or more...

fred

• Thanks 1

Hi Fred, Used here in NZ for possums & rabbits. We don't have fox's, only the two legged variety with short skirts & long slender legs.:laugh:

On a side note. I never ever got any gold off those particular workings with my GP 3000 or 4500. Despite trying many times with different coils. I did get another gin trap buried deep in the workings with my 4500 & Nel DD coil. It was deep. How it got down in there is beyond me.

4500 10 for 6.5 grams 004

Mrs JW also got a gin trap in this run of working but quite a bit further down the gully with the GPX 4000, which did cough quite a bit of gold. She gave up digging on the signal & so I took over until I was down about18 inches when I came across the stake & chain end of the trap, like in the above pic. I pulled & pulled on the chain but the trap was still buried & wouldn't budge. I did go back much later & retrieve it for my collection. I have about 16 of them found detecting over the years.:rolleyes: I usually recover them in case they were masking a gold signal. To date they haven't been. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 3

Loved the pictures and the story, great job as usual, always enjoy your presentations. Sorry nothing big came out to play for you.

All the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

thanks KIWI....you must have some wickedly big possums and rabbits!

fred 

Both are pests and shouldn't be here, if you see them on the road you're meant to try run them down 🙂

The are the big reason I spend my life detecting for shotgun pellets instead of gold.

How was the Nel on the GPX John?, I didn't even know they did coils for the GPX.

Good job as always on the tiny minuscule gold, I don't know how you do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hmmm, I must be having a "wicked" day....I need vocabulary lessons

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fredmason said:

thanks KIWI....you must have some wickedly big possums and rabbits!

fred 

Hi Fred, Here are a few handfuls of possums. Not overly small & very healthy. Correction....were healthy. The best possum is a dead one. An Aussie import that we just cant get rid of. 

possums

• Like 3

Great pics and story kiwi. The trap with your avatar name on it was an awesome find. Good luck on the gold!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I wasn't going to bother posting up my tiddlers after Simons single BIG piece trounced my 5 pieces combined by almost twice the weight on his rewarding day. That's what you get for digging every signal. Sure you get a pocket full of .22 shells but that one gram piece was worth it aye. Now I have a confession to make here.  I told Simon I got nothing at his Mr Pocket spot..... But I got two. They were my biggest two of the day. .3 of a gram & .09  
      Simon did a good job on his first post of our day there so I will just cut to the chase. I had done quite well here back with my GP 3000 & little coiltek 10 x 5 mono coil. I put Simon on to some old timer piles hoping his 4500 & 14 x 9 NF Evo coil might punch deeper into & give something up to him. It didn't. While I detected opposite him & working my way to some schist bedrock where I had done well with the GP 3000 on tiny bits. High Yield/Normal sensitivity on 19 & going very slowly scraping the coil over the bedrock when I got to it. Of course it is a shotgun pellet graveyard so got my share of those.  After getting my first few I kept checking all signals.
      This could have well been another pellet. I didn't take a VLF with me so had to be very careful not losing the target after moving it & breaking the "halo" effect & losing the signal. So after a bit of a scrape I blew the dirt & dust away & had my first piece of gold.
       I continued to detect very slowly on the edge of the grass & the bedrock as there was a bit of a lip & fracture in the bedrock.
      In the next pic, which is the same as the above pic but from a different angle, you will see a bit of a depression in the bedrock & the lichen on the bedrock just above & slightly to the right of the scoop.
      I got what I thought was a very slight cough in the threshold going over that depression. A couple of scrapes & removing the lichen revealed that the depression was the edge of a flat slab of schist sitting on top of the bedrock. It was totally unrecognisable & just appeared to be the bedrock surface.
      I have over the years realised just how many bedrock nooks & crannies & secret gold hiding cracks & fractures that lichen can hide. So I flipped the slab over to reveal another bit of a lip & drop off in the bedrock, right at the top edge of the coil. That is where the now improved signal was coming from.
      I scraped the pointy end of the pick along it & revealed a crack going under the now over hanging bedrock. Broke it open & one more scrape had the signal move. A bit more blowing &...piece number two
      Waved the coil very slowly over the rest of that little plateau & was getting nothing but pellets. Got to the last corner of the bedrock & was getting feed up with the pellets when one of them morphed into a tiny piece of gold smaller than a pellet.
      Unbelievable. Simon later made a comment that I had never thought of or considered before, & that was that people just wouldn't believe that I was finding gold this small with that 14" coil on the Zed. But Simon is my witness.
      It was at this stage that Simon had found his Mr Pocket & said he could get no more from it & relinquished it to me to try with the Zed. So I did. It was in among that tall dry grass that he has shown his pics of. My first signal was a very good hit, & I thought, here we go a .22 shell. But  no...a .3 of a gram piece of gold. Followed by a fainter signal but a positive one. Very shallow. .09 of a gram. But that was it. Nothing but .22 shells from there on. Even a live one. Thank goodness I got those two bits first off after getting a pocket full of .22 shells after them.

Total of .57 of a gram for 5 pieces. The .3 one really helped lift that total. 
      Mr possum looks a bit delirious with holding all that gold. Or is it the "cigarette" he is smoking?     His tongue is even hanging out....as well as his dangley bits.
      Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By Lanny
      Golden Grams of Goodness: Part 1
      November is not usually a time of year that I get to chase the gold, as by the time November rolls around the ground usually requires some dynamite or some equally powerful force to break through the frost to get to the gold. However, this year has been a year of exceptions. In September, we had early snow and frost with well below seasonal temperatures that carried into October, and that doesn't happen very often as usually the weather is rather mild. However, after the early blast of Arctic bad temper, the weather shook itself out until the first week of November with temperatures soaring above average, so this allowed the chance to engage in some gold sleuthing when normally I'd be reduced to only dreaming of chasing the gold.
      I have two sons, and the eldest loves to chase the gold, while the other will chase the gold given the opportunity, but he doesn't have the same level of passion. Me eldest was with me on this trip, and he was with me on our epic gold adventure when we truly slew an army of nuggets early in the summer (I have yet to post that story), so he was eager to have a chance to hone his detecting and sniping skills.
      The area we dropped into to work was full of bedrock pinnacles. These pinnacles were formed of an iron-hard bedrock, so hard that the big equipment had negligible effect. In fact, smoke was pouring off the bucket teeth and blades of the excavators as they tried to outmuscle the mother rock. As a result, there was a section of ground about the size of two school buses parked side-by-side, but slightly longer.
      Looking down into the excavation, there were three pools of standing water as well as a small stream of clear seepage water running diagonally across the northern, more elevated end of the bedrock. The southern end was where the largest pool of water was, and the eastern side of the excavation had a culvert that was collecting the water from the stream to then divert it through a long series of interconnected culverts to a sump where a six-inch diesel-powered pump was working night and day to keep that sump cleared. 
      Over the entire area of exposed bedrock, there were many buried, small gutters with high, then lower humps, and throughout the area, there were those dark pinnacles of super-hard bedrock, some of them rising up almost four feet, resulting in an area that could not be cleaned out properly by the modern miners with their big equipment. The area was perfect for detector and sniping work, making it a perfect area for us to tackle. 
      To be continued . . .
      All the best,
      Lanny
    • By Cal_Cobra
      I posted this on the coin & relic forum, but suspect a lot of Equinox forum members may not venture over there, so decided to post it here. 
      I tested the 15" coil at an old Spanish trail stage stop and was pretty blown away by the results, here's a link to the story and video:
      GL&HH,
      Cal
    • By Cal_Cobra
      Just returned home from a crazy road-trip.  We had a work event in Las Vegas last week, and we had some equipment to haul in.The company said they'd pay my gas, so I decided to drive it, and take a few extra days off and go to one of my old Spanish trail sites to detect on my way home.  What a trip it turned out to be!
      Snow blizzard on the way to Vegas.  Then from Vegas to California, was one of the worst rain storms in like 50 years...I was out on a little two lane, twisty, curvy road that routes you though the mountains and it started out as just small oozes of mud filling areas of the road, or wet slicks as water filled the roads, but as I progressed higher into the mountains, it was progressively worsening, now small streams and creeks and boulders were taking over the road, then massive mud slides onto the roads.  
      The road would worsen.   The roads were washed out and flooded with white water rivers now taking over, filling the road with a debris field of rocks, small trees and brush, and tons of sand.   One one occasion I was blasting through what amounted to a massive river flowing across the road, and while trying to blast though it a massive sand bar under the water attempted to trap the car, but luckily the FJ is a very capable off road vehicle, and it was able to make it though this and many more obstacles to come.  So after all this, I get to my destination and the motel had canceled everyone's reservations because they had no water or power.  Great, now I'm out in the middle of BFE with no place to stay and I'm not driving back through raging water flash floods.  I ended up spending the night in my FJ Cruiser in the middle of the desert.  It was a weird night, to be made even more strange by the fact that the only radio station I could pick up out there was playing Indian chants all night - LOL  
      Between storms, I managed to get in a day of detecting, but with an even larger storm system nipping at my heals, I decided to head back before it hit the fan!
      I managed a good day testing the 15" Equinox coil at a site that's been stingy lately.  Tom and I hunted it the last time we were there, and neither of us dug a single coin, but for whatever reason the Equinox lit it up (tu)
      Enjoy!
      Flickr account is buggered up, else I'd post a still pic, but here's the video:
      GL&HH
      Cal

• By mn90403
      I had some afternoon time today and decided to see what the wind blew in to the southern California beaches.  The tides are bad, the waves are small and it took me over a mile before I had my first target penny!  These are the same beaches where I've found lots of targets in the past but these small wind waves are only moving sand.  It is all deposit mode, sanded in as you might say.
      On the way back I decided to do a bit of blanket line near a surf break.  I found a little spill for about $1 in change when a surfer came up to me and asked if I had found his Toyota key.  I had only been there about 5 minutes and I told him I had not but I'd help him look if he knew EXACTLY where he had sat and picked up his roll on the way to his car.  He showed me and I began circling that area and he dragged his foot along the path he took to the parking lot.  I followed that line with my Nox 800 and the 15" coil and found a couple more coins but not his key.  I did a double width pass on his path and then told him I had no results after about 25 minutes.  He was bummed and wanted me to take his number in case I found it but I said I was leaving and there was no chance I was going to find it tonight.
      He said thanks for helping and we parted.  On my way back to my parking spot I saw the lifeguard truck ahead of me watching the sunset.  I went up to the guy and he cracked his window and wanted to know what this metal detectorist wanted.  I told him a surfer was looking for his key and I had been helping him and he reached down into his lap and says, "I have it, where is the surfer?"  I pointed him out about 1/3 of a mile down the beach and he took off.  I watched as the surfer went over to the truck and took the key from the lifeguard.
      It would have been nice if the surfer could have spotted me and waved or even the lifeguard could have come back and said something but that did not happen.  I didn't find the surfer's key but I did find a story with a happy ending.
      Mitchel
    • By Dig It
      Cabin fever setting in, was needing to get out. It warmed up to 38 degrees and that's just warm enough to melt a little snow off beach and the warm air blowing through gravels allowed me to dig targets. Nothing special 5 coins and trash, but I've been hitting this beach since I got the NOX last March, cleaning out trash, thinking there should be a ring sometime, just Not Today. I know there has to be one some time. ( Right ??? ) I have to think not everyone thought to take jewelry off before a summer swim.  Sure felt good to get out. Kenai Lake / Quarts Creek Camp Ground Beach. Watch out Nevada / Arizona / Florida Treasure Coast next winter, I'm a coming !!!!! Haha !!!!!!