Sign in to follow this  
kac

Any Familiar With Induction Balance?

How does IB detectors compare to VLF and PI's? Worth trying to build one or just a waste of time?

VLF's are induction balance detectors.  IB is general; VLF originally meant specifically 3kHz to 30 kHz IB detector, but it's gotten sloppy since then.  As a result you can think of IB and VLF as synonyms in today's metal detecting world.

If you really like building things, then you can have fun building a detector.  If you really like detecting then you're probably better off buying one (used or new).

• Like 4

Here is a summary I posted back in 2002 that must have been ok because it got quoted in at least one patent I have seen.

Hi Guys,

Here is something I wrote in response to a question on the Alaska Gold Forum. It is of course just my take of what I've read in lots of places, including this forum. I'd like to use it on my website, but I'm asking for your expert advice on anything I may have oversimplified or am simply wrong on. The main goal was to try and keep it simple, however.

Here it is:

What follows is a layman's description of the technologies involved. I'm trying to do this in as few words as possible while hopefully imparting some of the general concepts accurately. 

There are two types of detector technology currently available for hobby use. Today's metal detectors are basically radio transmitter and receiver devices. 

The first, Induction Balance (IB) technology, relies on a transmitter and receiver coil operating simultaneously in a state of electrical balance. Any conductive or magnetic object entering the field disturbs the balance and generates a signal. Plus, eddy currents are induced into conductive targets creating a detectable signal. 

Most people refer to these as VLF detectors, but all VLF means is Very Low Frequency and refers to a particular subset of IB detectors. Some detectors referred to as VLF today are actually operating in the LF (Low Frequency) range. Induction Balance is more accurate as it refers to the technology, not just a frequency range. Older style T/R (transmitter/receiver) detectors are also IB units. 

The second, Pulse Induction technology, has been around a long time and every one of the major manufacturers makes a PI machine. There is the Fisher Impulse, Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse, Tesoro Sand Shark, and White's Surf PI. These are all units designed for use in saltwater/black sand beach environments. 

Simple Pulse Induction units use a single coil to alternately transmit and receive. The transmitter segment creates an electromagnetic field that induces eddy currents in conductive targets. These eddy currents actually take some time to ''decay'' and so when the coil switches to the receive mode it picks up the weak eddy currents just induced in the transmit mode. 

Induction balance units constantly bathe the search area in an electromagnetic field. Smaller items can be detected because of this, but the IB units also detect more ground mineral. If there is too much ground mineral it makes it hard for the machine to detect the target. IB detectors have superior target id capabilities as they use a combination of the eddy currents and the electrical imbalance in the search field as information to identify targets. 

Pulse Induction units use eddy currents only. When the transmitter shuts off the electromagnetic field collapses and so there is only the weak eddy currents to work with. The good news is that eddy currents flow much longer in metals and for a much shorter period of time in ground minerals and salt water. A delay between the transmit and receive modes allows the eddy currents in low conductive targets to decay enough they will not be detected. The stronger eddy currents in more conductive items is detected. 

This makes most saltwater and certain mineral environments almost invisible to PI detectors. It also means very small targets are harder to detect as they cannot hold an eddy current for long. Since PI units have less information to work with than IB devices they have little or no discrimination capability by comparison. 

Although common PI units do better with certain mineral environments that IB units they still can be affected by mineralization. By using multiple pulse periods and using the information gained from some of the pulses to modify the others, Minelab developed ground balancing pulse induction technology. The called this MPS for ''multi-period sensing''. This allows the Minelab units to work in mineralized soils other PI units would have problems with. This in turn also allows for higher powered units with better sensitivity to small gold. And so the Minelab SD/GP series was born. 

The Explorer, Fisher CZ series, and White's DFX are all Induction Balance units but are working with information received from multiple frequencies. A very rough generality is that low frequencies detect larger objects better at deeper depths. Higher frequencies tend to hit smaller items better at shallower depths. Multi-frequency units attempt to use information received from multiple frequencies to achieve superior detection characteristics including better target id. Most of what multi-frequency is about is how many frequencies are received and compared, not how many are transmitted. 

But the key thing is that there is always a signal being transmitted and received simultaneously. The DFX is my favorite example. It can be run in 3kHz only or it can be run in 15kHz only. Or it can be run at both 3kHz and 15kHz simultaneously. Multi-frequency technology is just another type of IB technology, and they are not PI units. 

Steve Herschbach

• Like 4

The website Reference Library has many free books that go into detail about how and why metal detectors work. A good place to begin is How Metal Detectors Work by Mark Rowan & William Lahr - Originally published by White's Electronics as a booklet P/N 621-0395. Basic but rather technical information on how induction balance and pulse induction metal detectors work.

The key for people who want to make a metal detector is the Geotech website and forum. This page has do it yourself projects.

You can easily make a simple metal detector. Making anything I would want to use would take a skilled person. I am not but I think I could tackle it so I am sure you could, but I am not into that. I like to use what people lots smarter than I can make! :smile:

• Like 3

That's what I thought but was confused when I was looking at different circuit types and some had frequencies 150 and way higher.

I always tinker around here, have all sorts of things I have made, some need patents when I get the extra $$$. I wanted to make a nice waterproof analog machine with switchable frequency ie 2.4 to 16 or so, what ever divides out and can use the same coil with minimal fuss. I thought there might be a market though small, for a simple manually operated machine that can be brought to the park, corn fields or the beach. I see all the digital machines out there with all sorts of beeps, whistles, backlight displays because you can't run one well without looking and the bigger price tags they carry but they tend to lose the smoothness in tones that the analog have. The new machines kind of take the skill factor out of detecting and to me takes away from the hunt. I like a little bit of mystery when I swing my detector and come across a nice clean signal. Having just a hunch that it might be a nickel or maybe, just maybe a gold ring seems to be more rewarding than reading an lcd panel with big words it's a nickel.

16 hours ago, kac said:

I always tinker around here....

You need to get the following book (by the Geotech founders):

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Metal-Detector-George-Overton/dp/0985834218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550599062&sr=8-1&keywords=inside+the+metal+detector.+by+george+overton+and+carl+moreland

It includes DiY detectors, but it's much more than that.

As far as analog detectors, they already exist since that was the technology in use in the early years (prior to the 90's, anyway).  You can find all of them on Ebay to your heart's content.  Although not all purely analog, the Tesoro detectors are the 21st Century version (throwback) of the early analog detectors.

This isn't meant to discourage you from building your own analog metal detector.  Just giving you options & research material.

• Like 2

I have a Tesoro, love the machine but it isn't waterproof. I will look at the costs to build one and the time, might not be worth the aggravation.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      We've spent a lot of time here lately on whether to X or whether to CoilTek. 
      We don't know if we should Z or Q. 
      We have so many choices we don't know what to do.
      Make life simple and get the app:
      This might be easier.  Forget the coils and forget the manufacturer.  😁
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamma.metaldetector&hl=en_US
    • By uncle Scrooge
      The black stone is pure magnetite. The purpose of this prototype is discrimination that can indicates very deep targets such as for digging . So far all very deep targets were missed , as well as non-magnetic targets are indicated by discrimination like magnetic (iron ) . The prototype was tested on sand of pure magnetite and can be used to search for golden nuggets , while at the same time rejects the shallow iron objects . In tests on different soils shows very low soil noises , and almost complete absence of false signals . There is a video with the same prototype in youtube , from October 2018 .
    • By Jasonj
      I’ve been hunting a good site using the Deus and Equinox which has nails and small iron mixed in with good targets, some good targets being deep, but near or in the iron. My question is, will a GPX with Iron Discrimination turned up and the smallest DD coil pull out the deeper, non-ferrous items amongst heavy iron? Has anyone had any experience with this? I think for shallow targets the Equinox or Deus works better for shallow targets in this “machine gun iron”, but would like to see what others may have insight on for using the GPX. I’m assuming the fast setting and special soil timing may need to be adjusted as well. Thank you in advance.
    • By Skookum
      Good evening,
      I’m venturing into the spotlight here with my first post to ask what likely amounts to a novice’s question.  
      It stems from an experience I had about a year ago with finding my largest nugget. The location was in a small creek bed, which had been conveniently cleared of cobbles and overburden down to a small patch of bedrock surrounded by smooth, silty clay by a dredger.
      Using a GM 1000, I had detected out several small nuggets from within the bedrock cracks that had been exposed, but not properly crevassed by the prior prospector.  However, the thick clay surrounding the exposed bedrock had pockets of varying degrees of moisture.
      This was providing me a bit of challenge since the wetter spots seemed to be behaving just like hot spots. After an extended wrestling match with the wetter signals and the available settings, I gave up.  
      However, by the time the next weekend came around, I just couldn’t get those wet spots out of my mind.  With the heat of the summer and record drought conditions, I guessed those spots may have dried just enough to deserve one final pass.
      Within minutes of returning, I had found a solid, repeatable, 2 bar non-ferrous signal in the deepest clay pocket on the upstream side of the rock. (This exact spot had seemed masked the week before.)  Digging 4-5 inches down into the smooth clay I found a “rock” that made my detector sing.  Cleaning it off revealed a beautiful 1/3 ozt. nugget. Call it beginner’s luck—because I do. 
      Now for my question. Were those wet spots of clay giving me fits because of greater relative mineralization, heterogeneity of moisture, or VLF technology?  Perhaps it was some of each?  
      Part of my curiosity stems from never having used a PI detector.  For those of you with plenty of PI experience, do you also struggle with wet spots or mud spots for lack of a better term?  And, if so, are certain PI detectors more resistant to the struggle?
      Thanks for any input you might spare.
    • By Dan Fox
      I believe there is not much more they can squeeze out of VLF technology, even multiple frequency has it's limits and is really only 2 frequencies.
      Are manufactures better off concentrating on coil design rather than just tweaking an existing design adding a letter or two to the name?

After market coils quite often improve a detectors performance, so shouldn't manufactures be looking in this area rather than using the same coil designed years ago?
      Would like your thoughts
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I do what I can to foster competition that develops alternatives to the all too common VLF detector. There are plenty of options out there, but in my opinion they all weigh too much or cost too much. Usually both.   I envision people out there with a popular VLF metal detector for beach, relic, or gold detecting. These machines all sell for around $700 and weigh 2.5 - 3.9 lbs. Perhaps they would like to add a ground balancing PI (GBPI) to what they have. I think that for "normal people" with normal budgets a machine under $2K and under four pounds just makes sense. It would be more than twice what they spent for their VLF, and in this day and age there is no reason why a decent PI should weigh over 4 lbs.   To clarify what I am talking about here, I should say that for many people a $700 VLF detector is a great place to start and in many cases is all a person ever needs. However, there are places where extreme ground mineralization and mineralized rocks (hot rocks) severely impede the performance and use of VLF detectors. Alternative technology to deal with these conditions has been developed, by far the most familiar being the Minelab ground balancing PI (GBPI) detectors. These differ from common PI detectors by having the ability to ground balance. Other brands have offered the Garrett Infinium (discontinued) plus Garrett ATX and the White's TDI models.   These detectors are used not just for gold prospecting but also by relic hunters, beach detectorists, and others who face challenges regarding ground mineralization and VLF detectors.   Frankly, in my opinion GBPI technology is largely maxed out. The main room for improvement comes now in better ergonomics at lower prices. This challenge therefore limits detectors to those that weigh under 4 pounds with battery included, and which sell brand new with warranty after discounts for under US$2000. Detectors need not be ground balancing PI models, but must offer similar ability to ignore mineralized ground and hot rocks that trouble VLF detectors. I am going to rate detectors as to their relative performance using what I call the "Minelab Rating Scale. Details here.
      1. Minelab SD 2000 - crude first version, very poor on small gold, excellent on large deep gold
      2. Minelab SD 2100 - vastly refined version of SD 2000
      3. Minelab SD 2200 (all versions) - adds crude iron disc, ground tracking
      4. Minelab GP Extreme - adds greatly improved sensitivity to small gold, overall performance boost.
      5. Minelab GP 3000 - Refined GP Extreme
      6.  Minelab GP 3500 - Greatly refined GP 3000, last and best of analog models
      7. Minelab GPX 4000 - First digital interface, rock solid threshold
      8. Minelab GPX 4500 - Refined GPX 4000, solid performer
      9. Minelab GPX 4800 - Released at same time as GPX 5000 as watered down version
      10. Minelab GPX 5000 - Culmination of the series, current pinnacle of GBPI prospecting machine technology.
      All Minelab models leverage an existing base of over 100 coil options from tiny to huge.
      I am a very practical person when it comes to detecting. I know all the existing models and options by all brands very well, perhaps better than almost anyone. This is the way I look at it is this. If I personally were to spend a lot of money to go gold prospecting for one month, and needed a GBPI detector, considering machines past and present, what would I get and in what order of choice? Put aside concerns of age, warranty, etc. just assume functioning detectors.
      Here is the issue in a nutshell. On the Minelab scale of one to ten as listed above, I would be generous in rating the White's TDI SL as a 2. Same with the Garrett Infinium which I will mention in passing as it is no longer being made. If I was going to spend a month of my time and a lot of money going on a prospecting trip, I would choose a TDI in any version over the SD 2000. I might go with a TDI Pro over a SD 2100 but I would have to think real hard about that, and when push comes to shove I would go SD 2100 were it not for the realities of age I said to ignore. A newer TDI Pro might be a better bet than a very old SD 2100 from a reliability standpoint, but again, this would be a tough choice. The TDI SL not really. In my opinion I would be shooting myself in the foot to go on this hypothetical trip with a TDI SL instead of a SD 2100.
      You see the problem now?
      The Garrett ATX fares better. I would rate it a 3, roughly analogous to the SD 2200 variants. Still an agonizing choice really and the ATX being new versus SD 2200 being old might again be the tipping point, but from a pure prospecting options perspective the case can be made that the SD 2200 might be the better way to go. The problem for this challenge is the ATX weighs way over 4 lbs and sells for slightly over $2000. The price is close enough really but the 7 lb weight is way off.
      That's it folks. That is reality. The best of the best that the competition can offer can only go solidly up against models Minelab has not made in years. I am not saying that to be mean or as some kind of Minelab toadie, that is my pure unvarnished opinion as a guy who is pretty well versed on the subject.
      Let's bring it all home. This person with the $700 machine really, really wants that under 4 lb, under $2K GBPI machine, but if they do their homework they discover that truthfully, they would be better off shopping for a used Minelab than what the competition offers new. With the TDI SL rated as a 2 the ATX in a much lighter box at under $2K is a solid win as a 3. A well designed ATX with standard dry land coils would look very enticing as compared to the GP series Minelabs. But Garrett refuses to budge!
      White's can certainly do something, anything to improve the TDI SL. A battery that lasts all day would be a good start. In the end they are limited by the basic single channel design of the machine. The SD 2000 dual channel design was literally the answer to and the improvement on the single channel technology used in the TDI, the basics of which predate the SD 2000. Still, White's currently owns the under 4 lb under $2K GBPI category so they have the first out of the starting gate advantage. Anything they do would at the very least just show they have not given up.
      The Minelab MPS patent that formed the basis of the SD series has expired. Not sure about DVT, which formed the basis of the GP series. Where is the competition? What the heck is going on here? Much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair is going on here, that's what!!!
      That is my challenge to the manufacturers. Under 4 lbs, under $2K, on the 1-10 scale I am offering, what is the best you can do?
      The TDI SL as a 2? Really? Yes, really, that is currently the best of the best in the brand new ground balancing PI, full warranty, under 4 lb, under $2k category. You can pick up a 3.5 lb TDI SL right now brand new for $1049. The White's TDI SL takes the crown.
      Hopefully we will see more competition in this wide open category soon. I have been beating this drum for years to no avail, but I do have reason to believe we are finally going to see more alternatives soon. I hope.