Extreme Detecting Between Storms Of The Decades Or Testing The 15" Equinox Coil On The Spanish Trail

Sorry to hear about the weather, CC.   Getting on a long road trip with a few days built in to hunt and you only got 1 decent day.  But you made the most of it!  Thanks for the well done video.

I was going to razz you about being almost disappointed at finding a 1900 Barber dime (and from the end of the video the condition looked near top of the scale) but then you found those two (rather low mintage) -S mint Seated dimes -- beauties!  I can see why 1900 seemed new.  ?  Glad you were careful not to scratch any of your coin finds.  The 1868-S looks particularly sharp (low wear) ==> extra valuable.

How deep was the Barber dime?  From the view of the hole and the amount of dirt removed it appeared to be quite deep on the video.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Sorry to hear about the weather, CC.   Getting on a long road trip with a few days built in to hunt and you only got 1 decent day.  But you made the most of it!  Thanks for the well done video.

I was going to razz you about being almost disappointed at finding a 1900 Barber dime (and from the end of the video the condition looked near top of the scale) but then you found those two (rather low mintage) -S mint Seated dimes -- beauties!  I can see why 1900 seemed new.  ?  Glad you were careful not to scratch any of your coin finds.  The 1868-S looks particularly sharp (low wear) ==> extra valuable.

How deep was the Barber dime?  From the view of the hole and the amount of dirt removed it appeared to be quite deep on the video.

Thanks GBA!

The barber and the second seated I dug were fairly deep, probably a good 8"-9". The third dime I dug on the video may have dropped out of the dirt while I was digging my hole, as I have a hard time believe it was only an inch deep and out of all the times we've detected this site as well as others (good hunters with good detectors) that it was missed.  It turned out to be a fun hunt, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the 15" coil.

HH,
Cal

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I have to say I'm very impressed with the 15" coil.

That snowball seems to be growing.  Just ordered one from Gerry that carrier says arrives Friday.  Weekend doesn't look great weatherwise but Monday and Tuesday do.  Can't wait to take it to my hunted test sites and see what it will turn up.  If I find a Barber dime as nice as yours I'll make sure to get excited.  ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RevIza said:

What is the "juice" you used in the video? 

It's an inside joke..... the Hoover Boys videos use "Foo Foo" juice (water in a small spray bottle) in the field to field clean their finds.  Bill Ladd makes fun of these guys as he thinks they ruin all their coppers by washing them versus toothpicking them clean, and calls it newbie juice.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Bill Ladd makes fun of these guys as he thinks they ruin all their coppers by washing them versus toothpicking them....

Just recently heard this here (in another thread).  What I'd like to have answered:  so there hasn't been water in the ground touching the coin for the past several decades while the coin was just sitting there?  Ok, I'm getting off-topic.  Probably I should start a new thread with this as the title.

16 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

It's an inside joke..... the Hoover Boys videos use "Foo Foo" juice (water in a small spray bottle) in the field to field clean their finds.  Bill Ladd makes fun of these guys as he thinks they ruin all their coppers by washing them versus toothpicking them clean, and calls it newbie juice.    

Then I guess as a newbie, I should leave my HCl at home when I detect, lol ? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Just recently heard this here (in another thread).  What I'd like to have answered:  so there hasn't been water in the ground touching the coin for the past several decades while the coin was just sitting there?  Ok, I'm getting off-topic.  Probably I should start a new thread with this as the title.

It seems, and don't quote me on this, as we simply don't dig large cents on the west coast, but from the tons of them I see Ladd and the Hoover Boys digging, it seems that once those old coppers come out of the ground, they are in a fragile state on the surface and details are easily lost if cleaned incorrectly.  I've seen IHPs that have lost their detail after dug, perhaps the ground minerals, soil conditions, wetness, etc., breaks down the extraneous surface metals.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RevIza said:

Then I guess as a newbie, I should leave my HCl at home when I detect, lol ? 

HCI?  I'm almost afraid to ask, what is HCI?