Sign in to follow this  
GlazedTofu

Help Identify ' Flat Spike '

Found at a lake cabin with mining history, railroad and ferry. 1900’s

B151846C-940F-428A-80A9-81923B52D8E0.jpeg

26893D52-4E79-4736-AE62-A30027D158B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Some history there, but I wonder what it is?

Help us out what does it say? Location Black Diamond...you in my neck of the woods? 

strick

Bellingham, Washington is where I found it.

all I can make out is

Union .....

916.  Denver

when i get home in gonna clean it up

electrolylsis 

2 hours ago, strick said:

Help us out what does it say? Location Black Diamond...you in my neck of the woods? 

strick

Too funny, I am from I guess you would say your sister city but in Washington.  We got our city name from the California  black diamond coal company or something along those lines.

5 hours ago, GlazedTofu said:

Too funny, I am from I guess you would say your sister city but in Washington.  We got our city name from the California  black diamond coal company or something along those lines.

When the Welsh miners played out the coal fields here they moved to Washington to mine coal over there and as you say named it after the place they had came from last. That makes us brethren lol

What's the writing say on the object?

Strick 

Bale Spike Tag. Maybe to shove into a bale of cotton or hay?

Just a guess...cool find.

Looks like 'UNION HDW' (Union Hardware Company)?  Bottom to right of year:  'SIMER...'?

I like oldmancoyote1's guess(?) that it's a railroad tie date spike, although I've never seen one that looked like this.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kac
      Found this last fall along with usual pocket change and whats left of a pocket watch. I think it is a name plate for a telegraph machine.

• By Fskafish
      Small probably pistol caliber, havent found one like this before, any ideas?

• By Mark Gillespie
      No clue what it could be.
      The weight is almost the same as a silver dollar.
      No pattern to recognize what it might be.
      To start with I thought it might be lead but it can't be cut by either a sharp knife or a razor.
      ?????????????????????

• By groundscanner
      Here is a photo of this weeks finds with the new ORX (two trips).  Includes one "taco" 2 piece eagle button.
      Thanks for looking.
      MT

• By Mike Hillis
      Haven't hunted much this year.  I think this was my second or third outing.   
      This is a weird site.  I started hunting it back in 2004.  Back then I was just starting out and was happy to get lots of clad and this site gave me a lot of clad back then.   It has been stingy on jewelry but I found foreign coins there ( I like finding foreign coins) and so I'd hunt it three or four times a year.  I'm not a clad snob.  It pays for my battery money and I enjoy the extra hundred bucks every year.  Anyway... My first gold ring from this site came out of there back in 2017.  In 2018 I found another, and Sunday morning I found two more and a little silver locket.  So the gold finds have been recent.   Guess I should have taken a picture of the Canadian dime and 50 cent Euro coin I found too but I didn't.  
      The first ring is small.  10K JTS hallmark.  Don't know if its a diamond or a topaz.  I suspect its Topaz as its white in the light.   Its child size or could be tiny woman.
      The second ring is 14K, and looks to be part of a set.   Its woman sized.
      The locket is .925 
      These were found with the Tesoro Compadre running the Cleansweep coil (I modified my Compadre so I could swap coils).   Both rings were one way signals and at least half flattened.  I worked them back into roundness.   
      Anyway....I love coming home with gold in my pouch.   Even better with two gold and some silver.  
      HH
      Mike
    • By Randy Dee
      I have had my Equinox 800 1 year this week and yesterday Sunday 10th February I celebrated with an extremely rare Celtic find from the period 100 BC (Over 2,000 years old) it is a 1st Century B.C. Celtic bronze "Eye type" toggle cloak fastener. Main body shaped like a human eye with a large bulbous pupil, the loop on the back would have once been stitched to the garment, It would function much in the same way that toggle fasteners on duffle jackets do.