Small update:

Hardness on the Rockwell C scale is 33.

Not likely to be silver now.

I'll check the ID again and post later today.

• Like 2

A broken Tungsten Carbide pin maybe??

ID is 12

On 2/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

...It is non-ferrous and the chief machinist where I work is going to check the metal with a hardness analyzer, what ever that is.  Once I have a hardness value I'll be able to compare that to known metal hardness values...

Hi.. We're going to need a bit more input from your chief machinist: Upon which scale is " 33 " based?, meaning Rockwell A, Rockwell B etc., not bathroom or gram.. The machine and method used too please..

It should be mentioned the " 33 " could be inexact regardless which scale was used, primarily due to during setup for greatest accuracy a painfully flat standardized material is used.. It takes only a slight variance at the subject test point to throw off the reading 10 points.. Just saying, while assuming accuracy..

I have no idea what " ID = 12 " is supposed to represent..

Not wanting to be a bummer here, merely pointing out we're still missing some vital information to name it and claim it..

Here's a couple charts that hopefully will be helpful up the road: 
 metal-hardness-chart.png?fit=min&q=50&w=780

Image result for hardness of metals list

Swamp

PS: Gilding Metal = 95% Cu, 5% Zn..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Here's a couple charts that hopefully will be helpful up the road

I was looking for this kind of table that showed hardness of metals but didn't find one.  I see you did.  In the process I found there are many scales and sometimes the units don't match up.  For example, Wikipedia lists hardness (Vickers and Brinell scales) for tungsten in MPa (Mega-Pascal) which is a unit of pressure.  Your conversion table between Rockwells and Brinell has different units (which is what I was finding, too.)

What I found curious with Mark's results was that he couldn't scratch the object with a knife or razor blade but then the Rockwell C hardness was only 33.  That is well below knife steel (I think).  That would be consistent with your concern that there is typically a large uncertainty around measurements.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Hi.. We're going to need a bit more input from your chief machinist: Upon which scale is " 33 " based?, meaning Rockwell A, Rockwell B etc., not bathroom or gram.. The machine and method used too please..

It should be mentioned the " 33 " could be inexact regardless which scale was used, primarily due to during setup for greatest accuracy a painfully flat standardized material is used.. It takes only a slight variance at the subject test point to throw off the reading 10 points.. Just saying, while assuming accuracy..

I have no idea what " ID = 12 " is supposed to represent..

Not wanting to be a bummer here, merely pointing out we're still missing some vital information to name it and claim it..

Here's a couple charts that hopefully will be helpful up the road: 
 metal-hardness-chart.png?fit=min&q=50&w=780

Swamp
A nickel on my machine is a 13, the metal piece was a 12.

Rockwell C 33
PS: Gilding Metal = 95% Cu, 5% Zn..

C SCALE

• Like 1

I might try my hand and measuring the specific gravity of the metal too.

\

https://www.mgsrefining.com/blog/2018/02/07/specific-gravity-testing-for-precious-metals-gems

MarkG .. You can try .. what ID will show Spectra V3?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EL NINO77 said:

MarkG .. You can try .. what ID will show Spectra V3?

I sold the V3 to a guy to hunt his hunting arrows, of all things.  Funny thing to want a detector for but he said the arrows were very expensive.

:smile:

• Like 1