I assume ID 12 is lower than copper on your machine and since it is non ferrous my best guess titanium. I have found titanium rings and they come in low on the range. Not as light as you would expect from what people say, close to silver in weight. Very hard, cant easily cut or scratch them.

Maybe it is from a snow mobile ski? I believe they use titanium rails on the skis to keep them from wearing out easily. Might explain all the dents and divots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kac said:

I assume ID 12 is lower than copper on your machine and since it is non ferrous my best guess titanium. I have found titanium rings and they come in low on the range.

More like US 5 cent ('nickel') coin ID which is 12-13 typically.  95% Copper alloy US pennies are 25-26.

3 hours ago, kac said:

(Titanium is) not as light as you would expect from what people say, close to silver in weight.

Density (weight divided by volume) is the more appropriate measurement.  Specific gravity is a form of density and easier to determine.  But titanium's density is 4.5 g/cm^3 compared to silver's 10.5 g/cm^3, so actually silver is quite a bit denser than titanium.  It's titanium's strength to density ratio that leads to it being a valuable (relative to other commonly found metals) and useful material.

On my AT Pro I have these readings:

Stainless Ring 47-48

Titanium Ring 50-51

Jefferson Nickel (75% copper 25% nickel) 52

Tungsten 80-82

With that Tungsten is out, it could be nickel or titanium. Only other metal in that range would be gold. Does that help?

My theory is that according to Rockwell's C -hardness - HRC-33 - it would point to a low-carbon, non-magnetic stainless steel. ..

But it would be better if you were somebody else and more valuable ... Via we'll know when MarkG measures the exact Gravity of this metal...

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, GB_Amateur said:

...What I found curious with Mark's results was that he couldn't scratch the object with a knife or razor blade but then the Rockwell C hardness was only 33.  That is well below knife steel (I think)...

I saw that and wondered the same thing too.. I did come across knife steel somewhere, could find it again in my history I'd think -- seems to me for real deal stuff it started around 56 & went up from there (I don't like tossing around unconfirmed info, but just did lol..)

The ID thing just went sailing overtop a mah haid in the moment; I was only looking right at them the whole time geez..

Swamp

EDIT: kac -- confirm titanium men's ring @ 50 on AT Pro..

It’s a door/ramp or landing support pin from an alien spacecraft! ????.

Apologies. I know this was a serious thread.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

Specific gravity is 7.878

Usually, the density of mild steel is 7.85 g / c m 3 . But, depending on the alloying elements added, this can vary between 7.75 and 8.05 g / c m 3 .

specific gravity of mild steel may vary between 7.75 and 8.05 g / c m 3 , at 4 o C