Whats an Eperb? Do you mean an Epipen like doctors give for people who are allergic to bees and nuts?

Will taking an Ativan tablet or Benadryl help calm me down, panic is probably your worst enemy after a snake bite I would think, especially if alone in the boonies.

-Tom

If you are serious about getting into the back country alone, it would be wise to invest in one of the GPS units that can send a emergency signal. They usually require a subscription of some sort, but they do work and it can save your life out there.

Not to mention a GPS just plain comes in handy for marking locations. They also have them that double as two way radios and give weather alerts, all good stuff.

I have thought about this alot. Your supposed to stay calm,not exert yourself...but Im usually miles away in a real huff n puff canyon...the blood is going to pump! This last incedant was the exception...was 50 yards from hwy 49.

This is what every serious prospector needs-  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E1OU1A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006JXY0CQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14EY6GQCP03SEK1XS8H6

406 EPIRB signals are received by the USAF and relayed to your local emergency responder. $260 is cheap insurance. Works better than SPOT and no monthly fee. If you were snake bit down in a canyon, alone or not, far from transportation or other help you would pay every cent you now possess or could borrow for one of these! Dude, if you are dead or maimed for life money won't mean crap. If dead you will never see your loved ones again or if only maimed you will be a burden on them for the remainder of your days! LOL-NOT!

With the risks most of us take as prospectors I am surprised in this modern world that use of 406 EPIRBs has not caught on like wildfire. I think it is an ostrich syndrome(head in sand) or people always think bad things only happen to other people. Spend 5 minutes and think about the risks you take, the bad things that could happen, what life may be like in the aftermath and I think you will agree the 5 minutes and $260 was some of the best time and money you ever spent.

Please come home safe,

Merton

p.s. if you think VA nurse Paul may perform mouth to mouth use your last round on yourself. LOL

• Like 2

amen...gb

Dont worry.... You all are DNR to me....

This tech is so simple.....

Be calm, push the button, sit down and relax....

Thats it....

A three year old monkey can use it....i know this..... because they tested it with goldbrick first....lolol

• Like 1

Many places i hike into don't get GPS signals on a good Garmin and sometimes when they do it'll show the mark a ridge or two away.  Does the EPIRB utilize a different type of signal and satellite system? My wife would love for me to have a beacon but I've put it off. Each spring i debate it again and go without.

AjR

Not a bad idea guys, but  I dont see it being trustworthy in canyon situations that have spotty gps signals to begin with. I know many times I am in and out of signal on the Garmin, and even with a satalite lock on, the signal is sometimes distorted and marked waypoints  can show up way off.

Also I would figure its still going to be a long wait for a rescue team to show up, so one would still have to fend for himself the best he could.

I've had the SPOT ever since they came out. I remember there were a lot of complaints on coverage just because they didn't have the number of birds in the air as they do now. I never had any problems here in the SW, so I've continued to use their services. Judging by all the world wide rescues they've initiated, sounds like they (GlobalStar) must have their sh*t together now.

If I didn't already have the SPOT and felt confident in it's capabilities, the 406 EPIRB would definitely be in my survival toolbox.