My spot locator worked perfect on both my trips to Brazil, even under thick canopy.....

AJR and Wes, I don't blame you for being skeptical per a 406 EPIRB reception in canyon areas. Do I have personal knowledge that they work great every where but underground? No I do not. Did I do research before spending my dollars on an EPIRB? That's a big yes. Most things in life don't work at 100% efficiency 100% of the time. My research tells me that in a life and death situation the 406 EPIRB offers the best chance of me being able to contact emergency services.

I am not trying to start a pissing match with SPOT owners but 5 years ago when I did my research, the internet was rife with complaints of poor to no reception in many places by spot owners. I could not find one instance of some one setting off their 406 EPIRB and emergency help not arriving. Do some research yourself, your mileage may vary, after all mine is 5 years stale.

The other advantage of an EPIRB is no monthly subscription fee. Once you buy it all you pay for is battery replacement ( every 5 years on my model). Of course you can not chat up your family and friends with one, that honor belongs to the SPOT.

Whatever option you decide on make sure you take it with you, doesn't work if setting on your work bench at home. Mine lives permanently in my prospecting back pack. I convinced my brother to get one and he used the holster to mount it on his suspenders.

Merton

Well Goldbrick, now you've got me thinking. I often go detecting by myself in very remote places working around cliffs, rattle snakes, pissed off mountain lions, disgruntled bears, very steep slopes with loose boulders, old mine shafts and avalanche prone areas. But sometimes I go where it's really dangerous. With one of those gizmos- I could  push my luck even more.

The wife does worry about me when I am late getting home. Who else would bring the firewood in and take the garbage out?

Klunker, obviously you have never heard the expression "only the good die young".  Ya got no worries, you will be around for awhile! LOL  You can probably save your money and buy me something real nice at Christmas time.

Wes, You are welcome. I hope one of these options works for you.

• Like 1

Goldbrick,

I seem to recall Spot sold insurance policies that would pay you for rescue expenses twice a year, if needed? Does the Epirb company do this? An emergency rescue must cost a small fortune I should think and could break your bank account?

-Tom