Thinking about the death I spoke of, it appears that what drives people to kill snakes is fear of them. It seems from stats most snake bites come about from people trying to kill them. It is illogical but you try to say that to someone who is intent on killing a snake. Me I leave them alone and they seem to reply in same manner, but I do have a suspicion that they can sense the RF field of our detectors and move away.

Up till just recently had a carpet snake in shouse keeping the rats and mice population down. He/she moved on when the rats disappeared. Always welcome here but they are not venomous and are very docile. Your on the money Dale, respect, understand but don`t fear

• Like 1

Ditto here Featherdfishead, is very refreshing to know there are others who appreciate animals in the wild, something I feel all in this crazy fast moving world should stop and do for a bit. Even our flora, we have a insignificant twisted small bush-tree that just on the wet its white small flowers fill the air with a subtle fragrant scent we call it bush frangipani because that is what the scent is like, that is just an example. Mother Nature is amazing , makes our gold too, every nugget different.

• Like 2

Ditto here Featherdfishead, is very refreshing to know there are others who appreciate animals in the wild, something I feel all in this crazy fast moving world should stop and do for a bit. Even our flora, we have a insignificant twisted small bush-tree that just on the wet its white small flowers fill the air with a subtle fragrant scent we call it bush frangipani because that is what the scent is like, that is just an example. Mother Nature is amazing , makes our gold too, every nugget different.

I always take the time to look at and enjoy any thing unusual/special that I come across in the field.

Be it an animal large or small, a cool looking insect or plant or tree.

Or even a spectacular view or cool rock formaton.

It is one of the pleasure's of prospecting for a living, what is the point if you are not enjoying your self?

Every day I get up early and full of energy ready to see what the day is going to bring!

Never a dull moment for us!

It dose help to have good company and I am lucky enough to have that as well!

Example:

Last season I sat down for lunch in a remote high level gully, I was on my own sitting there after eating just resting and taking in the view.

I had dicarded a meat scrap and the meat ants were all over it when I noticed one of the ants walked different to the others.

After careful examination I noticed that it was not an ant at all but infact a jumping spider that looks exactly like a meat ant!

I couldn't belive it.

I love insects and would have a ball in OZ for this reason alone. Mimicry in nature is magical. Whether it be to trick a possible predictor or to blend in with prey there is a mimic or parasitic trickster for nearly every insect out there. We have a Moth called a humming bird moth. Its alittle smaller than a humming bird but when it buzzes around it sure looks the same.

I've never done well inside building to long, hate tight spaces and find no enjoyment in a city of any size - even my closest "city" that has less than 6000 people and is barley a town to most folks.

I'm not a compartmentalized person - i need the random amazement and constantly shifting spectrum that only being in nature can provide. Without this i become as down and depressed as a lion in a cage.

AjR

AjR..everytime I read your posts,I honestly feel they came from me...well except your better with words and find more gold,lol. After high school,went to community college,enrolled in the electron microscopy class. Second semester,sitting in the lab,no windows..said screw this,and quit. Enrolled in Natural resources classes next round with intentions of becoming either game warden or biologist...loved it man. Life changed that,but worked construction since then (1990) and no way could I work inside. Love watching the sunrise,seeing critters while up on a roof in a country setting. I used to live in Manteca,worked mostly in the Bay or Sac..finally moved to Calaveras county 10 years ago and seek out work in the hills...anyway,enough of my bio,lol...just saying I really relate .

• Like 1