Clean Handle When Done In Salt Water. Look Inside.

• The title was changed to Clean Handle When Done In Salt Water. Look Inside.

Ive posted this before showing how it gets in thru the hole designed to keep the handle in place.   I take mine apart ...... but not every time.  I do it occasionally and rinse it with warm water.   Most damage is caused by the user so I suspect im more likely to break or miss thread one of those bolts if im not careful.   Again...... i look at it like this.... 3 year warranty and they need to know if there are issues from continuous use above and beyond normal use.

• Like 3

Good point on taking it apart on occasion and not every time.  With me (in Idaho) I do not get to the beaches but 2 or 3 times a year, so my every time is actually limited.  Someone who hunts the beaches weekly will now know what to look for. 

Another point I will mention as more than a couple of my customers have done this.  I have guys in Hawaii, West Coast and East Coast who own both the EQ-600 and EQ-800.  They use the less expensive EQ-600 in the salt water as their #1 Beach/Water unit and keep the 800 as their #1 primary land detector. 

Plus any trips they go on, they now have 2 units with identical parts to change out in case of an issue with shaft, coil, arm cuff, control box etc.  Being prepared is much easier with 2 like machines on a big trip.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Another point I will mention as more than a couple of my customers have done this.  I have guys in Hawaii, West Coast and East Coast who own both the EQ-600 and EQ-800.  They use the less expensive EQ-600 in the salt water as their #1 Beach/Water unit and keep the 800 as their #1 primary land detector. 

That's a good way to go in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BeachHunter said:

So now I’m looking for a 600 and I just promised my wife I was done buying detectors. Lol!

Good tip Gerry, thanks!

I actually took in an EQ-600 that I'll offer for $550.  Has less than 10 hrs use and comes with 2+ yrs of transferable warranty.  I spoke with your wife and she said...you owe her BIG BLING.  I said the EQ-600 will help make that happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gerry,

You just made me find an allen wrench and take my handle off for the first time in over a year.  I was surprised to find no sand and no corrosion.  I just screwed it back together it was that clean.

Good tip for some I think.

Mitchel

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Gerry,

You just made me find an allen wrench and take my handle off for the first time in over a year.  I was surprised to find no sand and no corrosion.  I just screwed it back together it was that clean.

Good tip for some I think.

Mitchel

When I do my water hunts, my machine is usually submerged 8 to 10 hours a day as I prefer to hunt 2' to 5' deep of water.  I am usually in the waves and getting the detector tossed around with fine sand particles in every crack/crevice imaginable and then some I should not include pics of.  I see many other folks walk the water line with most not even getting their control box wet or getting it wet on an occasion.  The videos of CA beach hunters are hardly getting the machines wet, so I assume their units will be much cleaner. 

I do enjoy watching them dig old silver and gold in wet sand after a nice 4 to 6' cut from a storm.  I image this last month has been golden for them with all the storms back to back.

• Like 1