Photo Of My Finds Using The 800

groundscanner

Most plowed fields I avoid it because 

1 hour ago, groundscanner said:

I will dig iron on one of my sites hoping for fun tools etc.  My other sites I try to avoid digging iron due to the large amounts of it.

Agree, I avoid it on plowed fields that give up lots of farm machinery parts.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, Chase Goldman said:

As far as field 2 is concerned, my only tweaks are deciding on whether or not to use tracking GB and tweaking recovery speed as appropriate for the site conditions (4 or 5 for depth, 6 or 7 for separation).

Chase as I read through Minelabs manual and their definitions for all the search modes, the thing that caught my eye was that even if you don't GB or use GB tracking, it's already doing it.  That said, I wonder what it does differently if you use GB tracking as it implies that it's already doing it?

36 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Chase as I read through Minelabs manual and their definitions for all the search modes, the thing that caught my eye was that even if you don't GB or use GB tracking, it's already doing it.  That said, I wonder what it does differently if you use GB tracking as it implies that it's already doing it?

Cal,

Yeah, I know what you mean and wondered about that myself. 

What I've concluded is that multi IQ appears to be able to compensate for a less than optimal ground balance up to a point (where that point it is, is anyone's guess because ML doesn't go into those details plus it is probably situationally dependent). 

Tracking GB actually changes the ground balance point on the fly keeping you optimally in balance,  theoretically.  There is a little bit of a lag to it and the tracking adjustment is triggered by sensed changes in mineralization, so it doesnt work as well in mild ground (but you also probably don't need it to in that situation, either).

I suspect that multi IQ/multi-frequency is the means by which ML can compensate for a less than optimal ground balance and you lose some of this capability during single frequency ops. 

Tracking GB will work in any mode and whether or not you are in single frequency. 

That's my take on it, anyway.  HTH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Large iron wreaks havoc with both my Equinox and Deus.  Large, flat iron is even better.  I use the pinpoint function to trace the profile of large targets so I know what I am getting into, but dig them nevertheless at certain sites as you never know if it's going to be an axe head, hammer, saw, knife, rifle part, sword, bayonet, spur, cannonball, shell, or frag.

Same here, or depending on the site, I just dig all "conductive" signals, and if their big pieces of iron, I guess it's better moving it out to potentially unmask conductive targets. Flat iron of all kinds is a nuance, especially that rusty flat tin kind of trash in every ghost town we hunt, the engineer that figures out how to silence that will get a nice bonus ?

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, groundscanner said:

Here is a photo of the finds that I had mentioned in a previous post.  Nearly all of these finds were found on one small ridge that we had come to think of as being hunted out (using a variety of non-minelab detectors).

Thanks for looking,

MT 

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.a76b4f793bbea3cc499bca2f5a54c778.JPG

I need to work on getting an invite to that spot. :)

• Haha 1