GPZ Anybody Else Having Issues With Undergrowth

Condor

Here in the Desert Southwest the local plants respond more to rain than to growing seasons.  It's still winter and the last 2 late season rains have caused the Desert to really green up.  Areas that are normally barren have ft tall weeds sprouting up and it's giving my GPZ fits.  For some reason the GPZ is really sparky when swinging through the fresh green growth.  It's not just the first swing it's all swings until I scrape them down to the ground.  They're spiking the threshold loud enough that it's near impossible to distinguish a target whisper in there.  In the past the GPZ has given off something akin to a single static spark in fresh dead weeds on the first swing then dying off in further swings, but this is consistent, constant and downright annoying.  It's only in the weeds, on open ground it's fine.  No particular bump sensitivity, just those fresh green stalks. 

Is anybody else experiencing this, or is my machine acting up?  Solutions?  I sprayed some static guard on the coil cover, didn't help at all. 

• Like 1

Same problem here. My 1st GPZ didn't seem as bad in 2015. I took my 2nd GPZ down this winter recently in the Mohave and it was almost impossible to get stable anywhere, especially in the newer green growth which is more or less impossible to detect in now unless I use general and difficult. But I'm having ongoing problems with this machine in general (which the repair center can't seem to replicate) too so maybe its something with the newer batch or are you on your first one still?

On my 1st GPZ, running in general instead of HY helped abate the vegetation falsing in wet places.

I have experienced the same severe effects in wet grass with both the GPZ 7000 and the GPX 5000. I just move on to the clear patches and skip the wet grass areas. 

The problem mostly goes away as the grass and ground dry up. It still detects the roots of Joshua trees and Barrow cactus.  

In between wet and dry seasons it sounds off as I swing back and forth between grass and bare areas. In this situation I allow the detector to automatically ground balance as I hunt as much as I can of each area in sequence.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 1

You might make a sacrifice on the small stuff and try extra deep. It helps me sort out moisture and roots and such when things get bad. Don't worry, you won't miss that sluggy nugget down deep.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jasong said:

Same problem here. My 1st GPZ didn't seem as bad in 2015. I took my 2nd GPZ down this winter recently in the Mohave and it was almost impossible to get stable anywhere, especially in the newer green growth which is more or less impossible to detect in now unless I use general and difficult. But I'm having ongoing problems with this machine in general (which the repair center can't seem to replicate) too so maybe its something with the newer batch or are you on your first one still?

On my 1st GPZ, running in general instead of HY helped abate the vegetation falsing in wet places.

Hey Jasong, good to see you back with your observations as well.   

The reset helped some, but as the day wore on they continued to get worse.  The problem seemed to be a particular type of desert weed, not all of them.  I also used General and it was better, but I didn't find any gold.  The noise is a short sharp spike above the threshold.  They are not at all like a true good target tone, perhaps more like a surface piece of bird shot.  A few times I thought there might be a target tone in amongst a gaggle of those weeds so I pulled them all out and not a peep left in the ground.  I guess it's something to endure until they dry out and get blown away in the March winds.  The Nox 800 was able to run right through them with only an occasional bleep on the weeds.  

• Like 2

I did a simple search involving electrostatic” interference and now wondering if the vegetation in the area you describe has more charged particles due to its process in photosynthesis? It would almost make sense due to the extremely fast growing cylce, the suns radiation could be more or less stored in the plants molecular design and possibly causing a false detection signal? 

I'm no subatomic particle physicist, but I am a vegetarian, and I haven't noticed any more charged particles than usual in my salad. Sorry Frozendaze, but I just couldn't resist!?

Seriously though, I'm in the same neck of the desert and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when swinging the Zed through the green stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2