Plate From A Telegraph Machine?

Found this last fall along with usual pocket change and whats left of a pocket watch. I think it is a name plate for a telegraph machine.

56720420611__A24C2E2E-3392-49A2-8448-CDBDF73E6C2B.JPG

• Like 2

It also could have been on the front of a drawer that contained telegraphs from said company. I'm just assuming the wood rotted away which is why there are no nails.

It looks like a small pocket watch. I thought maybe it was one of those things that has a coin in it, you of course can see it better.

Cool finds.

Nice relics!  Quick Google search found this.  You might want to 'dig deeper':

http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist11/pacificpostal.html

• Like 2

Park near by has an old section made in the late 1800's where there was a stadium built and a ball field. At some time in 20's the ball field was moved and much of the area was backfilled with 15-20' of dirt from all sorts of areas. After the depression some nearby farm land was converted to more ball fields. Some of the dirt and sand had been there for a while. I found a sitting mercury dated 1877 just 2" down in one of the ball fields.. Also found a couple Indian heads 1906 and some buffalos but they are barely legible . 

I keep my digging to under a foot and use just a hand digger so I don't ruin the grounds. The greens keepers filled me in on the history of the place.

IMG_0466.JPG

• Like 2