Mining Claim Lease or Rental in Alaska

Back in 1980 there was a Gold rush in Alaska and else where, as the price of gold hit over $800 an ounce. I and 3 friends went to Alaska to spend the summer mining for gold. Researching at the BLM in Anchorage it seemed pretty much everything accessible by vehicle was claimed up. One lady had staked 900 claims. After piddling around some public areas for a while, we made a deal with a claim owner to work one of his claims. His cut was 20% of what we found. It worked out well, as we found 27 ounces one week with our Keene super 4" dredge.

My question to those in Alaska is, are there any claim owners willing to do that this coming summer?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

RSJ

snakejim, 27 oz. and on the road system in a week with a four inch dredge. WOW! I would quit my job if I could find that kind of ground.

Basically I feel you would not have many takers on the twenty percent deal. Mainly for the fact the ground would not produce a good return for the claim owner. Most claims on the road system have been worked hard and the ground is recreational in value. IE well under a ounce a week with a four inch dredge.

If you find someone willing to lease on a percentage I would suggest you have some surety that the ground holds gold reserves that will insure a profitable trip. Otherwise it could be an expensive vacation with disappointment.

I see a lot of claims for offer and a lot of exaggerated claims on gold with no formal assay. One good way to tell a bad claim for sell is if no commercial mining has been done - well if its not commercially feasible question that. If the claim owner wont let you sample before a lease or purchase stay away.

I don`t want to dissuade you but I stress a word of caution. I see things I would consider overstated by the claim owners.

Also do your due diligence and check claim ownership and current standing of the claims. Here is a link to DNR LAS to check ADL numbers.http://dnr.alaska.gov/projects/las/

Here is a link to check the Alaska Mapper for claims in the state.http://akmining.info/

Hope this helps...........

snakejim, 27 oz. and on the road system in a week with a four inch dredge. WOW! I would quit my job if I could find that kind of ground.

Basically I feel you would not have many takers on the twenty percent deal. Mainly for the fact the ground would not produce a good return for the claim owner. Most claims on the road system have been worked hard and the ground is recreational in value. IE well under a ounce a week with a four inch dredge.

If you find someone willing to lease on a percentage I would suggest you have some surety that the ground holds gold reserves that will insure a profitable trip. Otherwise it could be an expensive vacation with disappointment.

I see a lot of claims for offer and a lot of exaggerated claims on gold with no formal assay. One good way to tell a bad claim for sell is if no commercial mining has been done - well if its not commercially feasible question that. If the claim owner wont let you sample before a lease or purchase stay away.

I don`t want to dissuade you but I stress a word of caution. I see things I would consider overstated by the claim owners.

Also do your due diligence and check claim ownership and current standing of the claims. Here is a link to DNR LAS to check ADL numbers.http://dnr.alaska.gov/projects/las/

Here is a link to check the Alaska Mapper for claims in the state.http://akmining.info/

Hope this helps...........

Thanks for the reply. We were dredging near Petersville, just out side the Denali Park; on a private claim. There was another group of folks working the same claim. We all did ok.

Snakejim - cool video.

Petersville is a great area with some chunky gold and public panning area http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-public-sites/sites/alaska-petersville-recreational-gold-mining-area.htm.

The link to the Alaska Mapper will show all claims and open areas of Petersville. You can search an area that you are interested in and get claim owner info to contact.

I was looking last year in that area and seems to be pretty well claimed  but they do get abandon from time to time. Worth a look see.

If you make it up this way drop me a line I have claims in Hatchers you can try........

Snakejim - cool video.

Petersville is a great area with some chunky gold and public panning area http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-public-sites/sites/alaska-petersville-recreational-gold-mining-area.htm.

The link to the Alaska Mapper will show all claims and open areas of Petersville. You can search an area that you are interested in and get claim owner info to contact.

I was looking last year in that area and seems to be pretty well claimed  but they do get abandon from time to time. Worth a look see.

If you make it up this way drop me a line I have claims in Hatchers you can try........

Thanks for the offer. I have kinfolks in Anchorage. Nephew is a fireman/paramedic and his wife is an ER doctor at one of the hospitals. Hatchers is near the Independence Mine as I remember. We dredged some there in the Little Susitna River. Didn't have much luck there. The river was still high and running fast and cold. It was still in May.

I probably won't be able to get up there this summer. I was mostly trying to help out a couple of friends find a place to go. One of them has kin there also.