congrats ,i love it when you find those multi nugget holes.

• Like 2

Really awesome post Simon - thank you for making the effort to do this! :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simon.... Congratulations on Your  Gold-Day...- it's really nice pieces .. you deserved to find them .. .. .. Your story is nice  .. but also very instructive .... Thank you ..:smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, Phrunt!

Your story also illustrates why a variety of teachers and teaching methods is valuable. No one hears the same thing or understands in the same way. Northeast's example got the message through to you...

fred 

• Like 2

Congrats Simon. I love it that you tell a story that makes us feel like we are with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simon, you've gone from a student to a teacher, in only a couple years.  Now you're finding the gold JW used to show you.  You helped a newbie tune his detector which you were completely unfamilar with.  Grasshopper, time for you to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wjvP-raOI

Great job by both of you, and continued success, which you have earned.

• Haha 1

On ya, Phrunt, good to hear you acted on Northeasts analogy, now your on the way.

Watch out JW the young fellas on your tail now for sure.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice gold Phrunt.. I have been on a dry streak for a month now. Your story has helped me get motivated again.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Goldseeker5000
      One Guy and myself went on the first detecting trip of the year this past Thursday and we were gone til Sunday. I got to the location and headed up the road only to find the road was snowed in for the last 2 miles and was unpassable. I turned around and drove back to the highway to wait for One Guy to show up. When he did, I told him we were out of luck and too early so we decided to go in thru the lower road. We got close to the placer working and knocked on a door of a house closeby to ask who owns the property the tailings were on and low and behold this was the lucky house. We got permission to hunt and camp on 130 acres of dry land dredged ground on a hillside and the next day the  nice gentleman got us permission on another landowners property bordering his. So now we had 1030 acres of gold placer ground to hunt on. It was tuff ground to find any nuggets on as I believed it was too far down the drainage to find many nuggets but on Saturday at 1:00 I found the first one of the year and it was the second one with my new 5000. I was using the Sadie  coil. I love that little coil. I got plenty of shots for the cover of my book. I did not find any more nuggets the rest of the trip and One Guy got skunked. We even had to detect thru a couple snow squalls and the night time temps got down to 19 and 20 degrees which made for cold sleeping conditions in the back of our trucks. All in all it was a good trip that started out bad but turned out good for the first trip of the year.

• By phoenix
      goldEn is back in town for a couple of weeks and managed to get out my place for a couple of days.  Today we went to a Ironbark forest where there was a little bit of surfacing so goldEn could use the 2300 and I detected in the forrest with the 7000.  I got one of those really iffy signals that I thought was ground noise and when I approached it at 90º I couldn`t hear it at all.I scraped a bit of dirt and same thing, could hear it one way but not the other.  As the hole got deeper the signal seemed to move in the hole. First it was in one spot, then in another spot and it never sounded like a real target.  When I finally got it out of the hole I couldn`t hear it at all, but I move a bit a bit of dirt and I can hear something, move a bit more dirt and I couldn`t hear it again.   From when I first detected it to holding it in my fingers was about 15 minutes and it goes a whopping 0.12 gram and is about ¼" long.
      Good to see you again goldEn 🙂

• By Smithsgold
      Recirculating Sluice

Testing a Recirculating Sluice and the  April Update on what we have going on . Sneak peek at our next video !!!!
      Hope you enjoy the video,
       Jeff
    • By phrunt
      I stumbled out of bed yesterday to our first big frost of the year, it was -3.9 outside, 24°F in the old money

It was a nice still clear day and a perfect day to get out there doing something, fortunately there was a message from KiwiJW in my inbox on the forum asking if I'd like to go for a gold hunt, well I don't need to tell you my answer to that.  I was quickly ensuring all my gear was charged and ready to go.  The drive to JW's house can be a bit hit and miss depending on the time of the day.  A majority of the cars on the road are tourists in their hire cars and they're usually all going the same directions to the same places and in the morning's they all usually heading to Milford Sound.
      Here is a video for those who don't know showing what Milford Sound is https://youtu.be/iiBOi_8yVlQ
      There is always some tourists heading the opposite direction however, which can make my journey take far longer when I get stuck behind them on a road with many blind corners and few passing opportunities.  This one green hire van had me stuck behind it doing almost half the speed limit for about 10 minutes as the Ute refused to pass, so I had to take them both. The tourists tend to drive much slower as they're looking around enjoying the scenery.  The snow is forming on the hills too, a sure sign winter is on it's way.

Arriving at JW's we were quick to head out on our mission, we decided to go for a bush walk and view some local gold mining history too, it was the perfect day for it and I do enjoy learning about all the history in the area.  We walked a hiking track that had a lot of Gold history.  We stumbled across these bars out of an old timers sluice

And found an old gold miners hut still in very good condition, JW was thinking of moving in by the looks of it 🙂

A nice fireplace to get him through the winter, and all the creature comforts of home 🙂

He forgot to take his equipment inside so it rusted away.
      The old timers went to extraordinary lengths to move water and gravel around, here is a tunnel they built, with JW entering it

That's JW up there exiting the tunnel.  All through solid rock, incredible.
      They did some serious work to the landscape too, It's hard to believe how much soil they washed out, I guess with water monitors.

Now we both had the itch to find some gold we left our bush walk location and went to near the creek location I found my last tiny Equinox gold
      Now it's down to the business end of the story.   JW pointed me to a bit of bedrock and said that will suit the Equinox, It looked nice and so did the path down to it, I always think back to JW's path that just keeps on giving at another location, every time we go there he finds gold in the path, I never have, well this path turned into my path that keeps on giving.

The little track down to the bedrock.   It wasn't even 2 minutes after we started detecting and I had my first hit, bouncing between 3 and 4 on the VDI's.

And about 2 inches down in the gravelly soil was this little guy

Skunk broken straight away, a nice .1 of a gram.  It's sitting next to the EQX06 logo on the coil.

A couple of minutes later right near it in the path another hit again between 3 and 4 on the VDI's

Things were looking good for my path so I decided to go back to the top of it and try again in case I missed something, and right at the top another 1, 2 on the VDI numbers but this time it was solid rock with lots of quartz through it, I didn't know what to do so asked JW, he said smash it out break it up so I did just that.

The bit of rock in the scoop is still giving 1, 2 on the VDI's.  JW helped me smash it up further narrowing the bit down with the signal, we got it this small in the end, still a 1, 2 on the VDI's

I'll have to smash it up more I guess and find out what surprise is inside! I can't see any gold yet.
      Now time to head further down the path to the bedrock JW pointed out for me

It was on quite a cliff edge, you'll just see the creek far down below in the top of this photo
      Another 10 or so minutes and I had another hit, this was getting crazy

This one was coming up as the standard 1, 2 on the VDI's.
      I was having a ball at this stage and finally knew what it felt like to be JW, pulling nuggets up all over the place with his GPZ 7000 🙂
      Not even 10 steps later another hit! Unbelievable!!
      This one was in a crevice and a bit harder to get to, coming up in the negative VDI numbers, sitting around -6 to -3 but I knew from my tiny gold experience the other day it's likely to be gold and not junk in this location on those VDI numbers.

I scraped all the soil out trying to get to the target and finally found it, it was a lot harder to track down so I knew it was tiny.

If you look hard you'll see the spec in the scoop.

And next to the EQX06 on the coil.

My smallest detected bit so far I believe, 0.010 of a gram, smaller than last weekends 0.011 of a gram.  The same settings as last weekend, horseshoe mode all metal, sensitivity 25, iron bias 0, gold 1 and manual ground balance.  I would never not use horse shoe all metal mode when tiny gold hunting, you'll miss all the little gold as it often goes in the negative VDI's and you'll just get a blanked out target.
      Now I was getting to the end of my cliff drop off point, and the end of my little spot

It's a very long drop from up here down to the creek below, kinda scary for me being here but I make my way to the edge anyway, wobbly knees and all.

Looooonnnggggg way down.  Last attempt at my spot was to detect the mosses on the edge of the cliff, hoping some gold had been washed into them and soon after another hit at 1, 2 on the VDI's

And that was it for the day, John sacrificed this good spot by pointing me in it's direction while he went off detecting elsewhere.  Thanks John.
      On the way out we walked past a nice waterfall

Another enjoyable day with 0.269 of a gram in my bottle 🙂
      The small 6" coil for the Equinox is great but surprisingly the 11" is quite capable of finding all of the tiny gold I found on this day.  It's just not as maneuverable in among the rocks and crevices as the little 6" but it's still incredibly sensitive to small gold.  The 11" is good if you're needing to cover a lot of ground quickly, it does a good job of it without losing much at all in sensitivity.  Even the 12x15" coil is still pretty sensitive to tiny gold, it will lose the 0.010 gram piece but will get the slightly bigger ones well.
      The Equinox is a brilliant detector, just has happy finding this tiny gold as it is coins and jewellery in the parks and beaches, very versatile.
    • By kiwijw
      Simon did a good report on his afternoons hunt at this paticular spot. It was an area I took him to after I had taken him to a creek where I put him onto some spots where he got his first ever detected gold with his GM 1000. On getting up to this 2nd spot, back then, he got some more gold with his GM 1000. I had actually never got any gold here myself with either my GP 3000 or 4500 or on that first day with Simon, with my GB2. So he got 2 bits I think with his GM & I was skunked. Simon had tried a couple of times to go to this spot by himself but just couldn't find it. On his last attempt he was very close but just went up too high & totally missed seeing the old workings. They are impossible to see from any where. You just have to know they are there. I am one of these people that will always go off the beaten track to "discover" areas & that is how I stumbled on these old workings. 
       As Simon has said it was bed rock detecting & on quite steep slopes so I didn't think it would be easy detecting with the Zed so I was going to take my Nox 800 & little 6" coil. On seeing Simon grab his Nox & 6" coil I opted to take the GM 1000 & 5" coil. Was easier to carry up the creek & through the bush. The old timers moved mountains of rock to get to their pay. Very high up from the creek wayyyy down below. I dont know if these are old high terrace workings or glacial deposits. I favor more glacial as there were some huge quartz boulders that were extremely smooth & "water" worn looking. But a lot of the rock was still quite rough & not of a stream worn appearance. The rocks were stacked to high levels & would have been all done by hand.

Here is a pathway going up the stacked piles.

Just to the right of that tree is a tailings race between the stacked rocks.

Looking down into the tailing race. It just amazes me to see the depth of these stacked rock piles, all moved by hand. Notice the lichen growing over the rocks.

Above the rock piles is the bedrock slopes we detected. Notice left of center a hole that someone has been throwing the rocks out of to get deeper down. Notice too the clean appearance of the thrown out rocks. I pointed that out to Simon & he was totally oblivious to it. I said to him, Observation & imagination are your key assets in gold prospecting. In other words always be aware of where you are & whats around you, what looks out of place. Even in a rock strewn area like this.

After taking the above pic I snapped one of Simon detecting the bedrock slope.

I went straight down into that hole.  Going by the gravels down in it the old timers may not have gone that far down. The spot I ended up in was top right. Simon disappeared further to the right.

Those cracks & crevices looked damn good. But l came up empty.

I got a faint hit with the GM 1000 in some gingery coloured gravels. Lovely looking ground. Not even on bedrock & the signal had moved.

My first little piece of sassy gold.

This was followed by a second signal just a bit lower

Another small piece of the good stuff.

Because of the nature of the steep slope & the difficulty in the changing ground surface I couldn't stay in full max sensitivity with the bump falsing. I just couldn't keep the control of the coil good enough without bumping the ground so I was forced to back off to about manual 8 sensitivity. So I was sacrificing depth & sensitivity from what I would normally run. So any really tiny bits were going to escape me. Always detecting in all metal mode, as you cant get hotter than that outside of full max sensitivity. So most of the signals were just a crackle in the headphones. Yes I was wearing head phones. Mostly no reading on the Gold Chance Indicator & if there was it often was into the iron side & occasionally flicking between iron & gold. On getting the signal closer to the coil it would favour the gold side. Because the ground looked so juicy & horny I just did a bit of scraping & detecting & that paid off as it brought more signals to light.

And it was gold

I went up to the top edge of this slope where it dropped awaaaayyyyy..... down to the river below. The kind of place that Simon fares to tread. I have forgotten to say that I was getting quite a few cold rocks, non magnetic. They sort of had their own sound but I always investigate all signals. If not just to get rid of them in case they are masking a faint gold signal. At the top of this slope I was getting quite a few of these cold rocks.
      One signal, after removing a few of these cold rocks, sounded a bit different.

My biggest bit of the day. I was up to five when Simon wandered over. How you doing, he asked. 5, I replied. Me to he said. He was determined to get a 6th & did. I went off looking for more bedrock. Crashing through the bush, but the growth was driving me nuts. Came across an old shovel head that I had found years back with my GP 3000. Simon had seen it too.

After Simon finding his 6th piece & then losing it again, thinking he might never re find it. But he did about 15 minutes later. We called it quits, quite happy to have beaten the skunk & get what we did. I think Simon was chuffed to have found more than me. 👍 Shows just how good the Nox 800 & 6" coil is. His gold was all way smaller than mine. Like Simon said, It is very hard to pick between the GM 1000 & the Nox 800. They both trade off between each other very evenly.
      My result was 5 for .44 of a gram.

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By phrunt
      KiwiJW and I had a busy weekend, he'd just flown to Christchurch (The South Islands biggest city) to pick up his new Toyota Landcruiser or as I call it the monster truck and he had to drive it back down to Queenstown to pick up his caravan to tow it up to Christchurch to swap it over for his new Caravan.   I went on the journey up to swap it over, it's about a 6 hour drive each way through some stunning countryside and a very nice drive.  We were going to spend the night up there but decided it's best to take the drive up and back in one day so then we had the next day free for some gold detecting! Great idea!  John now has two big new toys to enjoy, the Monster truck tows a caravan like it's not even there 🙂
      The spot we decided to detect is a place John had taken me on my first ever successful day detecting for Gold, I had tried to go back there a couple of times and got lost trying to find it.  I was sure there was more gold there but it's in a difficult to find place in wild bush.  My last attempt at finding the place I only just got out of the bush before dark and I had no light with me, I almost had to stay the night.
      John found the spot with ease and off we went detecting.
      He was using his Gold Monster 1000 and I used the Equinox 800 with 6" coil.  There is a lesson in this post for Equinox users on finding tiny gold.
      The thing I like about this location is being as remote as it is there is no junk except that left behind by the old gold miners, and that junk doesn't bother me at all. Shotgun pellets are my enemy and fortunately these aren't a problem in this spot. 
      If you get a good target in this spot, it's more than likely going to be gold, although my first target was mostly reading VDI 1, 2 on the Nox but jumping regularly down to -7, -8 then back up to 1, 2,  a bit of an all over the place reading.  It was down in a crack in the bedrock and I spent about half an hour smashing away at the bedrock to get it out, I wasn't sure what to do so asked JW who said just keep smashing away and he came over to help, we eventually got it out, much faster with JW's help and it turned out to be a tiny little bit of metal, possibly lead or zinc or something, but tiny.  How it got so far down in the bedrock I don't know.    This was my only junk find of the day.
      Next up was another target, this one was constantly in the -5 , -6 range but I knew this spot had small gold and I also knew there was virtually no junk here, the only targets in this location I ignore is ones that go a solid -8, -9 on the VDI's which is what the hot rocks in the area do, rocks bigger than a car or even a house can show a -8, -9 over the entire rock surface in this area, anything else could possibly and likely is gold. 

This little scraped out area to the left of my coil is where this target was located, in this photo I'd done a scrape to get to the bedrock to improve the signal before recovering the target.  You'll see we are high up on a creek side, probably about 50 meters (164 feet) above the creek.  Gold can be in the most unlikely places.  That edge there has a big drop down to the creek and it's just rock with a thin later of soil and some grass growth of it.  Now that I'd done my scrape with about 5cm of soil the target ID had improved drastically from the -5, -6 it was getting to a very repeatable 1, 2, I knew this was unlikely to be a shot gun pellet here so I was confident I had my first bit of gold.  I scraped the leftover soil into my scoop and narrowed it down and here is the little sucker.

You'll see the little spec in the middle of the scoop.

and here it is next to the EQX06 on the coil.

All 0.011 grams of it.
      John was digging away with his GM1000 beeping like mad and he was digging for quite a while in one spot so I knew he was on the gold.  I figured I'd go explore further away and leave this area for him and passed a number of old rock piles and an old shovel head.

The new location paid off and I quickly got another signal bouncing between -6 and -3 and knew it was going to be gold again

If you look closely once I'd cleared the leaf litter away there was a crack in the bedrock, still detecting as -5 or so but I knew it was gold

It's almost identical to the last piece and the same weight

I next walked up to the cliff edge again where it drops off to the creek and started detecting the rock along the drop off, It wasn't even 10 minutes and I had another hit, again in the -6 to -3 range never once flicking into the positive numbers but my confidence was high it was also gold until there appeared to be two targets.  It was in a crevice in the rock again but seeing there seemed to be two targets right near each other I was worried it was a hot rock spot.

I cleared away the leaf litter and recovered the targets from the crevice, still never once reporting positive Target ID numbers

Out popped this nugget, my biggest so far.  Next to the EQX06 again as usual

And now to recover the second target.  Still stuck in the negative numbers on VDI due to the crevice not letting me get the coil close enough to get accurate ID's

Another little tiddler 🙂

The consistent thing happening was all nuggets were coming up in the negative VDI numbers until I was able to get the coil very close to them, you can't rely on positive numbers like the usual 1 and 2 VDI's on this tiny gold.  Anything -7 or higher can be small gold.  I experimented and checked out -8 and -9 targets but they always ended up just being rock, even small portions of a large rock were coming up as hot rock at -8 and -9 but the -7 and up numbers were consistently gold.
      For those wondering my settings were Gold 1, sensitivity 25 (max), Horse shoe pressed for all metal mode,  I had manually ground balanced although in this location there was extremely mild soils.  The other thing I had changed was the iron bias, I'd set that at 0.
      Detecting around more I got another hit, this one was on more flat ground and was coming up the usual 1 and 2 on the VDIs

Another little tiddler.  I was confident now I had learnt the secret to the Nox and small gold.  Never ignore those negative numbers.  I was lucky in this location there was next to no junk so it made this lesson easy, in other locations this method could lead to digging tonnes of junk.
      I went back to John's area to show him my finds and he was still at this same spot digging away in the same hole he was in when I left.   We were both sitting on 5 nuggets each although his were bigger!  It's extremely rare for me to have as many nuggets as John with his mighty GPZ, near impossible so I had a chance to beat him this time I just had to find one more!!! I was going to walk back to my spot and keep trying in that area but I walked past a nice crevice, I checked it and nothing, no signal at all but I knew the Nox coil can't get down in crevices well which later I learnt isn't exactly correct, it's coil edges just aren't sensitive all the way around like a concentric coil so I started clearing out the crevice, I got a large part of the dirt and leaf litter out of it and checked it again and I had a hit, another -4 to 1 signal bouncing around a lot.  Here's my winner! I knew I had gold.  John hollered out what's all that noise, I said I'm onto something
      I had cleaned out the crevice pretty good and had a signal in there somewhere but It had me stumped, it wasn't in the crevice, it was in the rock itself in the crevice next to it which seemed to come to an end.  I smashed away at the rock and a big chunk broke off and inside it was some really fine plant roots from the little bit of grass that you'll see in the broken off bit of rock below..

The coil is sitting in the first cleaned out crevice, the gold wasn't in this one, it was in the one below, that big bit of rock with grass on it was the one I broke out.  The grass roots were where the bit of gold was to be found.  This piece of gold was deep, at least 3 inches, I am shocked I was able to detect it, I thought it was going to be pretty big as it was one of my best signals of the day and it was deeper than anything else I'd detected, but no, it was tiny.

The embarrassing thing about this recovery is I sat the piece on my coil in my usual spot next to the EQX06 branding and stood up to get my phone out of my pocket to take the photo and knocked the detector over, the gold went flying.  John heard me say something, I don't recall what I said but I sure was angry! It took me a good 15 minutes or more to recover the bit again, I was thinking it had fallen down in the crevice deeper than it was before and with the Nox coil not being overly sensitive around the edges I was struggling to find it, I had no target signal at all anywhere, I wasn't even sure it dropped in the crevice.  I now see why people talk favorably about concentric coils with their sensitive edges.  John pointed out I should have tried to use the tip of the coil rather than the sides, that's it's sensitive spot so I wasted a lot of time as it didn't cross my mind to try the tip/tail of the coil and used the sides, silly mistake on my part, the tip of the Equinox coil is indeed very sensitive.  I just gradually cleaned all the soil out of the crevice with my fingers and scoop and eventually found the nugget.
      And my total for the day

I also found a tiny spec in my gold jar, it must have broken off one of the "bigger" ones so if I was desperate and JW got 6 also I'd have a secret number 7 to win the day   The Equinox can easily find Gold you would only ever expect to find with a gold pan.

The little spec is on the scales, too small to give a reading, but I'm 100% certain it's gold and it was a new jar, I'd never used it before.  The Equinox is an absolutely crazy sensitive machine to small gold, It's hard to believe how well it can do on the tiny stuff. I'm sure Multi IQ is the secret.
      Next we were off to KFC for dinner and back to JW's for a nap ready for another day prospecting
      We did a lot of exploring new places on this day, had a look around gold areas I'd never been to before and John was giving me a good history lesson of local gold mining. John took me to this old this trommel he knew about so I could see one on our exploring, we weren't detecting here, just having a look around at the old mining history of the area.

We were thinking of using this to start up our own Kiwi Gold Rush show, John named the trommel Mini Me, and if you look closely you'll see our shiny new digger in the background. 

Jw next to "mini me"
      We went to a new location I'd never been to before later in the day detecting, I ended up with a skunk using the Equinox at this spot getting just an insane number of shotgun pellets and 22 shells as the gold just seemed to be too deep for a VLF.  JW showed me how it's done with his GPZ, doing extremely well with it of course but that's his story.  All I will say is the GPZ is an amazing machine, in fact it's insane how well it works and the tiny gold it can find at massive depth is just mental, I continue to be amazed how good the GPZ 7000 is, one day I will swing one.... one day.... as long as it doesn't lead to a divorce 🙂