8 hours ago, Norvic said:

On ya, Phrunt, good to hear you acted on Northeasts analogy, now your on the way.

Watch out JW the young fellas on your tail now for sure.?

I wouldn't say on his tail, JW well knows he could lose me in a second, take one corner off the beaten track and I'm lost! If it wasn't for GPS i'd have trouble finding my mail box :blush:  John now makes me turn my GPS in the car off so I try and go the right way without my GPS lady telling me where to go ?  I almost missed the street into his house yesterday with no GPS on, even though I've been there many times now, i'm also Dutch, people with a long history of being navigators and explorers, something went wrong with me ?

For those wondering what I meant when I said the white soils in the first location, I've encountered them before elsewhere, I wasn't detecting there but it was a gold location where the old timers got a lot of gold.  Here is  photos we took of the other white soil location.  This is me and my daughter in an area where they blasted out the soil with water monitors to get the gold out of it.

IMG-20181027-160345-Copy.jpg

IMG-20181027-160054-Copy.jpg

IMG-20181027-160235-Copy.jpg

IMG-20181027-160335-Copy.jpg

IMG-20181027-160124-Copy.jpg

Really nice spot!  How often does mining make a place even better than it was, the water you can see is a lake created by the miners

I also did some reading up on the first place we attempted detecting and this is what I found

p-12311-lcr.jpg

The soil is at least 20 million years old and would have been at the surface for most of that time. It was covered by glaciation deposits (visible at top left) about 20,000 years ago. The bright red in the subsoil indicates highly weathered iron compounds. This would have required a more tropical climate than exists today.

We encountered Australian soil conditions ?  You'll note the white layer, it was the area I was struggling with, not knowing red was underneath.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Phrunt, you sound like my missus, I had to put a GPS on the ride-on, otherwise she`d get lost mowing the back lawn. Nah I was not being literal, sort of tongue in the cheek stuff, no doubt JWs got the runs on the board.

Nice spot............Mining makes us all better off, not just some places,  just think about where we`d be without mining, along with farming, we`d be in dark cold caves starving.

• Like 2

Enjoyed your write-up thoroughly - thank you Simon! And way to lend a hand to the new blood!

• Like 1

Amazing job of learning your machine Simon! Congratulations of your finds.

Getting that first bigger piece if a major hurdle, and look out from now on, as with your richer understandings of how your machine operates, you've likely opened the flood gates . . .

Thanks for all of the pictures too, and I loved reading the story.

All the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I quickly learnt how heavy a gram is, I had it in a little bottle and gave it a shake showing off to my wife that I found it and the ass end fell out of the bottle and the gold dropped down to the floor.  ?

IMG_20190225_200503.jpg.3364d829a8beafda1fbf7d3a3f1b3c10.jpg

?

I should be honest, I shook the bottle showing off at the rattle and the gold fell down into the grass and I had to find it in a panic.  :blush:

Found out about that same bottle-shock in Alaska. Glass bottles and nuggets shaken, not a good combo.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Norvic said:

"Phrunt, you sound like my missus, I had to put a GPS on the ride-on, otherwise she`d get lost mowing the back lawn. Nah I was not being literal, sort of tongue in the cheek stuff, no doubt JWs got the runs on the board."

?

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I quickly learnt how heavy a gram is, I had it in a little bottle and gave it a shake showing off to my wife that I found it and the ass end fell out of the bottle and the gold dropped down to the floor.  ?

IMG_20190225_200503.jpg.3364d829a8beafda1fbf7d3a3f1b3c10.jpg

?

I should be honest, I shook the bottle showing off at the rattle and the gold fell down into the grass and I had to find it in a panic.  :blush:

Hi Simon, Another lesson learnt....NEVER store your gold in a glass vial, any glass container for that matter. For reasons you just discovered. Not only that but if you drop it because of all that gold weight..... :ohmy: Especially when out in the field :blink: On another note: How much different are your settings now from what I wrote down for you? I wonder if the Evo coil has made a bit of a difference there. I believe Enhance setting is one the Aussies use for there more lively ground.

Great write up.? You flogged me in gold weight that is for sure. To think you could have easily walked away from some of those signals thinking they were .22 shells, of which there were many. Digging all signals pays off.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Simon, Another lesson learnt....NEVER store your gold in a glass vial, any glass container for that matter. For reasons you just discovered. Not only that but if you drop it because of all that gold weight..... :ohmy: Especially when out in the field :blink: On another note: How much different are your settings now from what I wrote down for you? I wonder if the Evo coil has made a bit of a difference there. I believe Enhance setting is one the Aussies use for there more lively ground.

Great write up.? You flogged me in gold weight that is for sure. To think you could have easily walked away from some of those signals thinking they were .22 shells, of which there were many. Digging all signals pays off.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

I had my gain on 13, stabilizer on 15 where as you had the stabilizer 2 lower than the gain, sensitive extra so the switch on the front was on special, target volume and volume were much lower than your settings as I was letting the SP01 take care of volume control so I had them pretty low, and my audio was on Boost.  EMI was only being a very mild problem with the powerlines in these settings with it occasionally doing a woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo woo which came in bursts about every 20 minutes and went away again in about 30 seconds or if I moved off the little hilltops but I did manually adjust the tune a few times by a couple of numbers to help.  I had motion on slow instead of your very slow and I was swinging pretty slow aided in my slowness by the long grass ?

The EVO seems to like a reduced stabilizer which I believe means putting it up into higher numbers for the stabilizer setting.  If I bump that number up it seems to get more sensitive to small targets, so the point if I'm strugging to find a pellet I can bump that up a couple of numbers to make it stand out more. 

So I haven't strayed too far off your settings except for volume levels and stabilizer.

My biggest issue is target recovery, it takes me a while, sometimes 5 to 10 minutes when I'm struggling... On a coin I'm lightning quick, I never use my pinpoint mode on the detector preferring to narrow down where it is using my coil and then aided with my Pro pointer I'm there in no time, with targets being so small gold detecting the Pro pointer is only handy if you are digging 22 shells or 1 gram bits of gold ? for the little 0.0x bit's it's pretty useless in locating them.

I've worked out lifting my EVO in the air over the target and waving it around can narrow down exactly where the target is, it seems to send its signal down in a V shape so that helps narrow it down.  The higher I lift it until the signal is only just there helps narrow it down best with the target being dead center in the coil when doing this.

In these settings It felt like I was swinging the GM1000 for its pellet finding ability.

Two of those nuggets had the same signal loudness as 22 shells which quite often I walk right past, I have to remember the EVO makes targets sound much bigger than they are.

From now on I'm just digging everything, I keep telling myself that but I'll do it.  Sure I'll get a lot of 22 shells but I'll put them on ebay, somebody probably collects them :laugh:

You'll recall my problem of the EVO detecting my belt buckle and anything on my body that I've been troubled by for some time, my solution to that has been extend my shaft out longer, it makes the detector feel heavier but it keeps the coil further away from my body.  I can use the bungy anyway for the weight.

• Like 3

Try turning the coil on-edge ,90 degrees to horizontal...it will reduce your recovery time quite a lot...I think.

fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Try turning the coil on-edge ,90 degrees to horizontal...it will reduce your recovery time quite a lot...I think.

fred

Now, there's a solid-gold tip that saves target location time indeed!

Nicely said, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1