Some elliptical coils also are tops for precise centering of the signal by using the coils toe or heel. Heel is easiest just tilt coil vertical and push back and fore moving slightly left or right over signal. Does not apply to all elliptical coils eg. Zs coil is better on edge as Fred advises, just experiment and if it works for your particular coil with practice you`ll cut the recovery process time drastically. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Simon on your 1 grammer! You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fredmason said:

Try turning the coil on-edge ,90 degrees to horizontal...it will reduce your recovery time quite a lot...I think.

fred

I am pretty sure I have mentioned that to Simon with mono coils as well as the heel & toe of the mono's being very sensitive & good for poking the nose at the signal in the dirt to pinpoint it better. But apparently the Evo coils aren't very edge sensitive. So much to remember.....Simon is getting a lot better at remembering to use his magnet to sort out ferrous crap.?

JW :smile:

• Like 3

YES, it is very difficult to cram a lifetime of detecting into someone else's brain....

almost as difficult as remembering all the stuff I learned and sometimes forget...

fred

• Like 3

Hi Fred, Yes there is a lot to learn, master & remember, & that is just detector settings with a GPX. More so if it is your first ever gold detector.  Let alone sussing out where to swing the thing. Sure....detectors have there similarities but they do have their own individual personalities. Of course great forums like this help immensely. When I got my GP 3000 (my first ever gold detector) I was on my own & being computer illiterate it was a hard long slog. Mrs JW helped me discover gold forums online & nursed me through the basics of navigating my way around the keyboard to make things "work". WOW....what an explosion of information. Of course I joined too many forums to keep up with them all but thanks to gold detecting I have learnt my way around the basics of computers. Otherwise I would be none the wiser.

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

• Like 4

JW's pretty good on a computer now, and he's right... it took me a long time to see the value in my magnet.  I had it there forever and anyways forgot to use it.  I guess my brain didn't see the importance of it or something.  The last few trips I've really started using it, testing out every hole looking for the target with it. 

I've found it just adds more excitement to the dig, if nothing sticks to the magnet things are going well ?

I like magnets so much now I picked this puppy up at the hardware shop the other day, it was on a clearance for $5 and has some serious magnetic power

IMG_20190227_070036.jpg.887aa6165da2a5ae4b2d7d820d71cbe2.jpg

IMG_20190227_070016.jpg.2e34ff022440257e6b5131c6fc4f4942.jpg

I may never end up using it as it's just another thing to carry but it shrinks down quite small and extends out nice and long.  It's got good ground coverage with the size of it's magnet.  Maybe if i'm in a real trashy place I'd take it along.

JW's also right about the EVO, it's not overly sensitive on the edges like older generation mono coils, but it may well be sensitive enough to pinpoint a close target with its edges.  I'll try.

I'd love a dedicated Gold Carrot that can pick up 0.0X gram bits of gold.

• Like 2

Phrunt,

I use a coil cover for my retrieval device...this is about 10-12 inches long. It firs nicely in my cargo pants hip pocket...

you can dig loose dirt and scape some...not too hard.

If you understand panning you can dry-pan...generally, the gold will not fall out unless you overfill. I find it much better than using a spoon. THe gold will settle; if it is a solid nugget it will stay in the pan to the last, if it is matrix or in a clod of mud it will usually be in the next to the last bit; if it is iron rub your magnet on the bottom of the cover and you will see it move...unfortunately lead pellets will often mimic the gold...sorry!

These are four little nuggies and five meteorites from Gold Basin, Arizona...

DSC00841 013 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Good idea Fred, I think another part of my problem is I'm so used to finding gold with VLF's which is often quite shallow that when I found the one grammer which was pretty deep it took me a long time to recover it because I scraped a bit away, checked the hole, scraped again, checked the hole, this went on for ten minutes until I got to the depth of the gold, I just wasn't expecting it to be that deep.  I've noticed JW is far more aggressive in his hole digging than me, I get so worried I'll lose what I've found I take it slowly constantly checking my target is still there.  John seems to dig quite a bit of a hole, then check the dug dirt, a different faster approach.

Finding a meteorite and bit of native silver are on my bucket list, and there you are with five of them ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

Phrunt,

I use a coil cover for my retrieval device...this is about 10-12 inches long. It firs nicely in my cargo pants hip pocket...

you can dig loose dirt and scape some...not too hard.

If you understand panning you can dry-pan...generally, the gold will not fall out unless you overfill. I find it much better than using a spoon. THe gold will settle; if it is a solid nugget it will stay in the pan to the last, if it is matrix or in a clod of mud it will usually be in the next to the last bit; if it is iron rub your magnet on the bottom of the cover and you will see it move...unfortunately lead pellets will often mimic the gold...sorry!

DSC00841 013 - Copy.JPG

Nice meteorites and gold!

Thanks for sharing the picture, and all the best,

Lanny

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

JW's pretty good on a computer now, and he's right... it took me a long time to see the value in my magnet.  I had it there forever and anyways forgot to use it.  I guess my brain didn't see the importance of it or something.  The last few trips I've really started using it, testing out every hole looking for the target with it. 

I've found it just adds more excitement to the dig, if nothing sticks to the magnet things are going well ?

I like magnets so much now I picked this puppy up at the hardware shop the other day, it was on a clearance for $5 and has some serious magnetic power

IMG_20190227_070036.jpg.887aa6165da2a5ae4b2d7d820d71cbe2.jpg

IMG_20190227_070016.jpg.2e34ff022440257e6b5131c6fc4f4942.jpg

I may never end up using it as it's just another thing to carry but it shrinks down quite small and extends out nice and long.  It's got good ground coverage with the size of it's magnet.  Maybe if i'm in a real trashy place I'd take it along.

JW's also right about the EVO, it's not overly sensitive on the edges like older generation mono coils, but it may well be sensitive enough to pinpoint a close target with its edges.  I'll try.

I'd love a dedicated Gold Carrot that can pick up 0.0X gram bits of gold.

I have a nice light, but strong aluminum telescoping wand with a super-magnet on the end, and I love to use it when I'm looking for gold in a trashy area. The magnetic end is only about the size of a quarter (25 cents), and it's easy to pack in my five-gallon bucket with my sniping tools I take with me when I'm working bedrock, regardless of when/whichever era it was worked: no past gold miners got all the gold. It's amazing sometimes how much they left, including the industrious Chinese, no superpowers back then to see down into the rock like we have today.

Congratulations on your extendable wand find, and I hope you snag some more nice nuggets on your next outing.

All the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1