21 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Yes I meant it in a good way....👍

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Looks like you're going to have to update everyone on Mr Pocket this time, your efforts today deserve a new post 🙂

nice supply of junk, Phrunt...

a bullet is just a piece of lead...the chance of finding  a cartridge  that would still fire is slim. The chance of you hitting the primer is even slimmer...I have found many types of cartridges without harm. 

However, explosives used in mining can be hazardous...

fred

• Thanks 1

Yes Simon, That is just the lead head of a .22 bullet. No chance of harm coming from that. I did find a live & complete .22 bullet at Mr Pocket. I have found many over my times detecting & so far have had no issues. Have even found many live shotgun cartridges to. I always wonder....what are the chances of.......🎆 BANG 🎇

• Like 1

Enjoying the pictures and the stories!

Nicely done, and happy to follow along with your learning process, always something to learn . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

The large, decorative copper piece is part of dresser drawer pull.  The wire (or rod) bale was attached through those two rectanglar holes, and the round holes were for the screws that attached this to the drawer.  (If you were old like most of us you would have recognized this!)  Here is a pic I ripped off Google Images:

drawer-pull-stamped-84.thumb.jpg.ee9def002041591d754bb70b9b2eb0ab.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

:laugh: Now Simon is going to wonder what the hell that was doing up there. Thanks Chuck. Never a dull moment on info from this forum. Cheers.👍

Best of luck out there

• Like 1

Well I'll be damned, I am now wondering why that was there, the most unlikely place for that sort of thing.  Maybe they had it on a horses carriage for a cupboard door on it or something like that, an old school glove box. weird! 

Thanks GB_Amateur.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Erik_in_Mission
      Hello Friends 😁
      Someone recommended me to start with a GPX 5000 for my Project. He said its not a big difference between a GPX 5000 and a GPZ 7000. So i have some questions, i hope you can help me.
      Is it true that the GPZ can measure about 40 Percent deeper comparing to a GPX ? Is the GPZ really so much better that its worth to pay a higher price?
      Which one of them would be easier to use for me, as a newbie? Is it smarter to start with a GPX or GPZ, what do you think? 
      If i come in rainy wheather is it possible for the GPX to resist? Has he a IP64 code?
      What about to buy a used one? I read that the older GPZs works sometimes better than the new ones, is this true? Is the newest software ( 31/7/17 NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE ) really always the optimized one?
      Look here under the category FIND_BLOG, the same you can also find for the GPZ  http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-5000-metal-detector-11-in-mono-coil-bonus-15-mono-coil  !  Are this just storys so that they sell the Detectors better or is this realistic? What do you think?
      What is the different about the GPZ 14 coil is fully waterproof to 1 m (3 ft) and GPZ 19 Super-D Coil? Is one of them going more deep, or is it more sesitive?  What Coils do yu use with yur GPZ or GPX?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

For everybody who want to know more about my Project look here:

• By kiwijw
      My 4 x 4 has packed a sad & I have been looking around for  a replacement. So being car less I am dependent on others. Mrs JW had a wedding to video & was going to drop me off at a close local spot & pick me up after her wedding. It meant spending a long day out there at the mercy of the heat, which I wasn't that keen on. With the grass & weed growth being crazy I didn't fancy being stuck out there if things weren't going to well detecting wise. I had phoned Simon on the Saturday but he was already in Queenstown & doing a family thing. He didn't even bring a detector. Shock horror. So Mrs JW & I headed off down country to look at a 4 x 4. I emailed Simon on sunday to see what he was up to & he said he was at lose ends. I asked he would be keen for a detect at a close local spot & maybe when the day heated up too much we could go for a spin in the jet boat. He was keen for both & said he would be here in an hour.
      The time of day he drove through he got caught up in tourist traffic, but he finally arrived & after a quick coffee we headed off. Simon chose to swing his EQ 800 & 6" coil. I stuck with the Zed although I was very tempted to take a high frequency VLF myself. I didn't really know where to go with this crazy grass growth but made a choice thinking it may better suit Simon with his EQ than me with the Zed. We walked to a spot of exposed bedrock that wasn't too bad with this crazy growth. It still looked better suited to Simon's set up than mine. I of course had left my phone on charge back at home.
      I put Simon onto some juicy looking bedrock that he had a better chance of getting his little 6" coil into than I did with the Zed. I wandered off not to far from him. Straight away he was onto signals. Shot gun pellets. His favourite. I got a few junk signals but no pellets at all, which surprised me. I then got a signal that lived on down into some bedrock that I was having to smash out. The deeper I got & the signal was still in there the more confident I was that it was going to be gold as I continued to peel out schist bedrock. Gold it was. I had no camera & Simon wasn't far away so I went to show him. He asked where I found it so I showed him & he took a couple of pics.

Back filling the hole I carried on scrubbing the bedrock & nothing for over an hour of very careful & slow detecting. I then came back to the spot of my find & continued from it in the other direction. An American couple were walking past & I said hello to them. They said hi back. That is how I knew they were Americans. The guy said to me, Do you find anything worth while? I said Yes. He said, Like what? Gold I said. Really, he replied quite surprised. I said, Yes & I found a piece just there. Pointing to my back filled hole. Would you like to see it? His girlfriend had walked on a bit but then came racing over. So I showed them & they were like....Wow.....cool. Oh well...good luck & off they went. As I turned around to carry on I got a signal in a gutter at the edge of the track. Thinking this was just going to be rubbish I halfheartedly scrapped at it & it was just lose crumbly schist. I was soon down a bit when the signal was out. Thinking nothing of it I waved my magnet through the dirt pile. Nothing leaped up onto it. Still thinking nothing of it I ended up with a dirty rusty looking thing in my hand. Looked like an old boot tack but was not magnetic. Gave it a rub between my fingers & it was still dirty rusty looking. Scratched it with my fingernail & saw the glint of gold. Ha...you beauty. Simon had disappeared so I just put it in my bottle & carried on. 
      Ended up with two more smaller bits before the heat was getting a bit much. I saw Simon walking back up the track towards me. He had been to the creek & had drowned himself in water to cool himself down. I said, Have you had enough? To which he replied, Yes to bloody hot. He asked if I had found any more so I showed him. Unfortunately he had got skunked on the gold but had a field day getting pellets & I never got one. We shot back to my place & hooked up the jet boat to his wagon & took off down to the lake & on down the river. that was a bit of fun.
      My end result was 4 bits for 1.17 grams.
      Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By phrunt
      I've been stuck at home the past few days, my car decided to break down for the first time in it's life, the starter motor died and it seems I also have a fuel pump problem which is getting repaired soon, the starter motor is fixed so I'm mobile again as of late today.
      Seeing I've been stuck at home time has been spent doing work around the house rather than anything exciting however today something unusual happened.  The big power lines that come from the windmills behind my house that power the surrounding area were shut down for about 2 hours with them diverting power from another area I guess as we didn't lose power but the lines were disconnected.  The reason for this is the old wooden power lines they have passing over the river are no longer suitable and they've upgraded to lines that span over the river rather than having a pole in the water.  I had a couple of hours around my property with no interference from the power lines nearby and I was stuck at home bored, a win win situation.  It's a pain in the rear in some ways as my outlook from the house now has big power lines in it that didn't exist before but these things happen.

This is a photo of my back fence with a helicopter dragging the lines across the river which is behind the willow trees you see just below the helicopter.  All action down there at the moment with cranes and helicopters buzzing around all day long.  It was amazing to watch the helicopter flying along unwinding the wire between the poles.  The old power lines are to the left of the photo and there are about 15 windmills up on the hills you see in the background that power the area.  The little fence in the middle is to stop my dog getting in the back area as it used to have some pet sheep in there like all kiwi's have, they're now in the freezer.  🙂
      This is a photo of the river, unfortunately according to history, and my attempt with my sluice there is no gold in it 😞

This photo was taken around my neck of the woods and KiwiJW lives up in among those snow capped peaks up that way.  The other direction further south is the bottom of the country and has a cloud that never seems to leave and rains all the time, next stop, Antartica 🙂
      I covered my entire back area with the Nox 800 and 11" coil in Park 1 with sensitivity 25 and all defaults and popped up two old 5 cent coins, pretty happy with that as I've hammered my yard over the past year with my detectors practicing how to use them but I've never been able to crank it up to 25 due to the power lines, usually sitting on about 21 sensitivity.  One is from 1998 and the other 1999 but they're very different colours from corrosion which is a bit odd.
      I gave up on the Nox after finding no more and was going to go get the Gold Bug Pro as I'm enjoying using it lately with the Detech Ultimate coil, it is a really good combination on coins but as my last good find was the silver coin in my backyard using the Garrett Euroace I picked it up, that and the fact it still had batteries in it where the Gold Bug didn't.
      The Gold Bug doesn't care about the power lines at all and I can run it in maximum sensitivity in my yard anyway so perhaps it was a good idea to use the Euroace as I usually have to run it 2 bars off maximum when near the power lines.
      The power was still not running through the lines so the Euroace ran at maximum sensitivity with no false signals so I went over the area again, the area between the two fences you see in the photo but it extends 50 meters by 25 meters (164x82 feet). 
      I got a signal I'd never noticed before with any other detector including the Nox I'd just used in this area.  It was repeatable and giving a pretty solid target identifiaction on the Euroace, only moving between 2 notches.
      I dug and recovered a coin, about 35 cm's deep (13.7 inches) and thought wow, what's a semi modern 10 cent doing down that deep and threw it in my pocket and kept detecting.  Nothing else exciting turned up so I went to get the T2 to give it a turn but by the time I moved the batteries over from the Euroace to the T2 the power was back on so I didn't get to give it a chance.
      When I came inside and cleaned up the coins I noticed the 10 cent coin wasn't all it appeared, it's an old 1967 One Shilling also having 10 written on it as it was produced in the year that NZ transitioned to decimal currency.  I've never seen one before, well before my time....

This is the normal older style 10 cent I'd find, note it no longer has One Shilling written on it

Here is a short video the reserve bank of NZ did in the year this coin was produced to inform people of the change over, it has my One Shilling/10 cent in it
      Also a news story about the change-over
      https://nzhistory.govt.nz/nz-adopts-decimal-currency
      Sure, it's probably not the most valuable find but I'd never seen one before and it's the fact I was able to find it in a completely hunted out area because of a power outage, It's worth using power outages to your advantage if you ever encounter one.  Some research on the coin says this about it, " Over the years a few things have happened in this coin series. The coin catalog reports that many of the 1967-dated coins were melted in 2006, and this sends their price up a little bit over other dates. "  It's still of little value to them, but to me it's priceless, afterall I found it. 🙂
      The Garrett Euroace with Nel Tornado coil proved again it's a deep detecting combination.  It's the second time now it's found a coin my other detectors have missed.  I don't know enough about the technical side of it but I think the low 8.25khz frequency and 12x13" Nel Tornado coil size is the secret to it's depth.  This is a review of the Nel Tornado on the Euroace which I tend to agree with pretty much everything he says, it's a great coil
      https://www.detectorreviews.co.uk/nel-tornado-garrett-coil-review/
    • By cool riverr
      Busting bedrock hasn't panned out that well, so I decided to heed Bill Southern's advice.  I broke down the crust on the first pile, and started swinging the EQX 800.  15 minutes into it, and "bingo", nice little 3.2 grain nug, all rough and course like it hasn't traveled far?  "This is going to be an EZ day" I'm pretty sure ran through my mind, since there were plenty of tailings' around?  I guess the penny is somebody's idea of a "cruel joke"?  At least it was shallow.
      Brett

• By phoenix
      Because of heat waves, vehicle trouble and well, almost a complete lack of motivation, I have done very little detecting this year.
      In the early days of the 5000 I got the bigger speci at Moliagul and it`s got about half a gram of gold in it.    Since then I have gone over and over and over that area with the 5000, 2300 and 7000 for no result. Yesterday I was out there again and about 15 feet from the first specimen, I got the smaller one with the 7000. Very faint signal that just broke the threshold and about 6" deep.
      The bottom picture is the only bit of gold visible in it and is almost impossible to see with the naked eye, but the signal it`s giving off says there`s maybe a half a gram to a gram of gold in it. Once the better half has seen it I`m going to bust it open to see what`s inside but I think with this one I`m going to end up with a heap of small bits of quartz with a little bit of gold in them.    Dave

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Headed out to a local spot for a quick detect on Sunday afternoon to kill a few hours. I just still cant believe how crazy the grass & weed growth has been this summer. It has made detecting very difficult. How am I supposed to get the Zeds coil in among all this in the old timers workings?

Usually they are bald, barren open rocky areas. Making for easy coil to ground detecting. Not this summer....anywhere.

The below pic is how it was last year, Same bit of ground as the above pic. Slightly different angle. So much more open. 

So naturally I struggled among the strong stalks as they just didn't cave in with the coil sweeping through them. I couldn't get a clean even sweep or get the coil on the ground. Things weren't looking good, and it was hot and I was getting a bit frazzled by it all. I just couldn't find a spot that was going to give me a break.  So I just hunted for any small open bits of ground. Came across a small run of exposed schist bedrock that I was able to run the detector down its edge where it dived off into deeper ground. Hoping for a deeper signal on that edge. Well I got a faint signal. Dug down on it.

The signal lived on down but it didn't have that definite gold signature to it And the ground was very loamy with no gravely wash type material. So I wasn't holding my breath. I then hit the bedrock and it didn't look promising.

But the signal was still down there.  I then ended up breaking into the schist & pulling out slabs of it as you will see in the above pic. The signal moved.

Waved the magnet through the dirt & bottom of the dig. Signal still down there. So it wasn't iron. Got it in the scoop. And.......

Ye Ha

That was the only piece though. I spent another couple of hours searching out & trying other areas but the growth was just too much. It beat me. So I called it quits. Happy to get what I did. 👍

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW