Where's All Calif. Beach Hunters Finds, Storm After Storm.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:21 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Very nice save TMox.  Please give us the story with that Seated save.  Key Date coin too (low mintage 80K) makes it even more desirable.

Yes, great find,  and it's potentially even more valuable than the mintage indicates.  The finest known example is only an MS-55 (almost uncirculated).  (Professionally graded) F-12 (fine condition) gets the value into 4 figures.  I can't tell from the pics what grade yours (Tmox) is.  Had it already been cleaned when you took the pic?  I see some white crystals on your fingers in the photo.  Was that just residual sand?

I'm sure I harp on this too much, but this is a case where less than professional cleaning could be extremely costly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Yes, great find,  and it's potentially even more valuable than the mintage indicates.  The finest known example is only an MS-55 (almost uncirculated).  (Professionally graded) F-12 (fine condition) gets the value into 4 figures.  I can't tell from the pics what grade yours (Tmox) is.  Had it already been cleaned when you took the pic?  I see some white crystals on your fingers in the photo.  Was that just residual sand?

I'm sure I harp on this too much, but this is a case where less than professional cleaning could be extremely costly.

Thanks for the post and information.  That's sand on my grubby little mitts and the only cleaning has been a freshwater rinse.  it's actually pretty hard to read the date on this one, the reverse is in better shape.  I'm pretty sure this one is a small "s". I will follow your sage advice! I have to admit the thought crossed my mind to place the coin on a piece of tin foil, put baking soda on it and cover with boiling water-- the crazy things you read on other detecting forums!

I'll just stick to the "detector prospector"!

Thanks again,  Tim

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Folks,  Silver coins that have been in salt water for years eventually pit.  The value of these coins is not even close to what book says.  Book is just an indicator and almost never the genuine price.  Coin Tracker and Grey Sheet are more inline to what someone will pay.  That coin could have XF detail, but more likely F or VF and it would get serious downgrade for Environmental Damage.  I am only saying this as I want folks to be realistic.  It is a superb find no matter if it is worth melt or 4 figures, but the photos of that coin is not even close to 4 figures. 

On the bright side.  It is a Seated Liberty Quarter that has a readable date and mint mark and YES it is a very low mintage.  Fabulous find either way and I would be proud of saving it.

6 hours ago, Tmox said:

Thanks for the post and information.  That's sand on my grubby little mitts and the only cleaning has been a freshwater rinse.  it's actually pretty hard to read the date on this one, the reverse is in better shape.  I'm pretty sure this one is a small "s". I will follow your sage advice! I have to admit the thought crossed my mind to place the coin on a piece of tin foil, put baking soda on it and cover with boiling water-- the crazy things you read on other detecting forums!

I'll just stick to the "detector prospector"!

Thanks again,  Tim

That type of cleaning is only meant for coins with no real value. I clean my silver coins using that method since they are worth under $50. If I ever find a valuable coin I will only pour water on it and there will be no rubbing, soap or any other chemical. Congrats on the great coin.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The value of these coins is not even close to what book says.

There are three prices to most everything that has lasting value:  the retail price (e.g. Red Book and PCGS), the wholesale price (e.g. Grey Sheet) and the real price (e.g. prices realized on Ebay).  All of those assume correct grading.  PCGS prices in particular are for professionally graded coins, which makes them even higher than many retail price lists.

It's human nature to think what one has is more valuable than it is, and what someone else has is less.  (See https://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-Revised-Expanded-Decisions/dp/0061353248/ref=sr_1_2?crid=6ZVKFFY8GOG&keywords=predictably+irrational&qid=1551629635&s=books&sprefix=Predictably%2Cstripbooks%2C165&sr=1-2)

IMO there is balance required to temper the two extremes:  thinking a find is more valuable than it is, and undervaluing by rubbing, cleaning, etc. to the point of damage.  Both of these may seem obvious, but neither is.

• Like 1

Well put GB.  Just like some of my gold nugget finds.  Some folks say they are high dollar and others feel they are more common.  I know for a fact they are worth at least "melt value".  But in reality...they are not worth anything until the day they are sold.

I had stock one time worth over $100 a share and then the semi conductor market crashed and my $100 stock was worth $6.  Funny thing was, I never actually had the cash sitting in a pile in front of me, it was all on the internet.  So 1 day it would be valued at $100,000 and the next it is valued at $6000.  At the end, it is just a number.

The cool thing about Tim's find is he found it and can look at it every day.  He'll remember that day and the excitement it generated.

Glad this thread was started! I went out a couple times recently and found some really pretty pebbles. I’m still learning this Equinox... ? I thought I’d do better after the rains too but now I’m going to blame it on unexciting beach erosion and not user error. 

(It’s always user error...)

I did start wondering if I’d do just as well panning out the low areas of the beach where darker pebbles were gathering as I was with my detector...

-Julie

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 6:21 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Very nice save TMox.  Please give us the story with that Seated save.  Key Date coin too (low mintage 80K) makes it even more desirable.

It's only been 4 months. I couldn't figure out where that 80k mintage number came from and the 4 digit value.  I figured it out,  I didn't find a quarter,  its a half dollar.  Just north of half a million minted.

I guess I'll keep it anyway!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tmox said:

It's only been 4 months. I couldn't figure out where that 80k mintage number came from and the 4 digit value.  I figured it out,  I didn't find a quarter,  its a half dollar.  Just north of half a million minted.

I guess I'll keep it anyway!

Could have been my fault.  I thought it was an 1859-S Seated Quarter, but now it is summer and I have light...I can easily see it is a Seated Liberty Half Dollar.  Quite a big change in mintage and price.  Who really cares if you never plan on selling it.  Still a stellar beach save.

Gerry

I had to go back and take another look at those boots you posted . The reason I done that I is I got to thinking about a trick that was pulled on this old cowboy.

The story goes like this. This old cowboy had been in this saloon way longer than he  should. He was getting to the point he didn’t know what end was up . Two of his old friends I guess you could call them being they had been there drinking with him from the start. 

His two so call friends was talking between them self on what trick they could play on their drunk friend. One said to the other he’s got is horse tied out front so why don’t we just turn his saddle around. After a big laugh thinking about doing it out the door they went .

Sometime had passed and finally the old cowboy couldn’t go anymore. One of his so call friends pointed the way to the door where he had his horse tied up . He finally made it up in the saddle and the one friend turned going back in the saloon laughing.

I guess about 30 minutes had passed and the old cowboy busted through saloon door yelling. Somebody cut my horses head off and he’s still breathing. Another in the saloon said your horse can’t be breathing if his head is cut off !

The old cowboy said I know he is because I stuck my finger in his windpipe.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1