Where's All Calif. Beach Hunters Finds, Storm After Storm.

12 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Very nice save TMox.  Please give us the story with that Seated save.  Key Date coin too (low mintage 80K) makes it even more desirable.

This came from near the mouth of the EEL River, it was found after a big storm that happend at the end of December. I was using the equinox. The mineralization was really high and the coin signal was distinct but not awesome like it would normally be.

We've only had two major storms, end of December and first of February.  we need to see the 20' plus seas to mix it up.  the 15' seas don't do it!.

Tim

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I have it on good authority that the central coast and norcal coastal beach hunting was just not great as the sand wasn't being pulled off the beaches.  Socal got some productive cuts, but up here just a few small pockets.  We need the surf to pull the sand off the beaches up here to uncover the old deposits.

What he said!

This has been a poor winter for swells.  These rain and snow storms have been great for the mountains but the beaches have 'spot cuts' as I'm going to call them.  This is not like the El Nino season where big storm after big storm pushed up the sand and left good targets for us to find.

These storms didn't have the swell but did have some wind waves that were focused on some beaches.  The cut was not from a rip tide it was from a bit of energy focused on a part of a beach much as a magnifying glass starts a fire.  There was not a big push in the ocean even with the super moon and the very low tides.  I snuck out a few rings but now everything is over 10 inches deep again.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I'm still reading posts for little bits of CA Beach Hunting tips, listening to those who actually make finds and learning what I can from this helpful forum.  Yet to do a Beach Hunt on CA., but one of these times I'm going to hop a plane for a few days and try it out.  Problem is trying to figure out which beach has the cut and when it will happen as trying to get a last minute flight can get expensive.

Tim,  I actually fished the Eel River for salmon back in the 70's.  That river has had some major floods with serious earth movement back in the 60's.  Thanks for updating your save.

Thanks for putting my dreams to rest guys and I will have to go back to dreaming big gold in tailing piles and where I feel the next one will come from.

As for my easy breath strapless leather chaps, those are tolerable.  It is the holster that packs my 6 shooter you need to worry about.

Peekeye.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Tim,  I actually fished the Eel River for salmon back in the 70's.  That river has had some major floods with serious earth movement back in the 60's. .

I grew up in Northern California (real northern California, SF is not norcal ?

I spent a lot of time on the Eel River, fishing, camping and rafting.  Great place, but haven't spent any time there in years.  Also did an awesome canoe trip down the Russian River all the way to the Pacific Ocean.  Once you go north of SF, California is a totally different world.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'm still reading posts for little bits of CA Beach Hunting tips, listening to those who actually make finds and learning what I can from this helpful forum.  Yet to do a Beach Hunt on CA., but one of these times I'm going to hop a plane for a few days and try it out.  Problem is trying to figure out which beach has the cut and when it will happen as trying to get a last minute flight can get expensive.

Gerry,

Go to any surf reporting page and look at the waves expected for a few hours to a few days into the future. (I don't think you can get a real report on Gulf of Mexico beaches!  haha) 

Here is a website I use.  http://www.surf-forecast.com/

You can also look at cams.

If you get to the details of the waves for different surf breaks there are two things to look at.  One is energy.  You want to go detecting sometime after the maximum energy you see in the time you will be in that area.  A big storm will put lots of energy in many surf breaks.  You want to go to a nearby beach and see how you do.

The second factor which I consider to be more important than energy is the wave interval.  If you are getting waves coming in to a beach at less than 10 second intervals for a day or two that makes that beach better.  The finds are increased if the waves are over 3 feet with a look at the tide.  The detectorists who wade are sometimes more rewarded than those who wait for the waves to wash up the goodies.

As Steve has said here several times we kinda think of our beaches more like a gold pan.  Add some energy, swirl to get direction and tide and you begin to separate the good stuff from the junk.

Today there was no energy, no surf, no good finds.

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I grew up in Northern California (real northern California, SF is not norcal ?

I spent a lot of time on the Eel River, fishing, camping and rafting.  Great place, but haven't spent any time there in years.  Also did an awesome canoe trip down the Russian River all the way to the Pacific Ocean.  Once you go north of SF, California is a totally different world.

Well then you guys know! The Eel is flooding today, they closed the road in to Ferndale. Consistent rain but no waves to speak of.

• Oh my! 1

My brother in law has a couple of houses in Ferndale. I should give him a call.

My wife and I have camped and floated on the Eel several times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob said:

Hit a California beach last Saturday Feb 23rd and was surprised to find the following "crusty black disks".....all very worn, and all requiring electrolysis to determine what they were.

1945 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

1900 Barber Quarter

3 Barber dimes - unable to determine dates

All found with a CTX 3030

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

That's what I'm talking about right there.  Love those "crusty black discs".  Fantastic saves Rob and thanks for sharing.  Hope to see more of your finds on here too.