Is There An Easier Way To Read The Detector Screen?

While out yesterday with the Equinox and new 15 in. coil (thanks, Gerry), I ran into an issue.  First off, I shortened the shaft to accomodate the increased weight of the larger coil compared to stock 11 in.  That led to me needing to look closer to my feet just to watch the coil (for coil control, etc.).  After less than 30 minutes detecting not only did I have a lot of neck pain but also deterioration of eyesight.  After resting I lengthened to shaft back to my usual position and the problem went away.  However, this led to me wondering if there might be a solution for having to look (down) frequently at the screen to see the target ID (or even to tune).

The idea I had isn't even half-baked so keep in mind it might be a complete non-starter, but here it is:  combine an endoscope (see example below) with Google Glass to project the image of the screen onto eyeglasses.  Would it work?

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-TSAAGAN-Inspection-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07KFM2V5K/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=endoscope&qid=1551290686&s=electronics&sr=1-13

• Like 1

Trouble with the endoscopes is any glare across your screen will bleach out the image. I have an endoscope I have used for checking behind walls, look inside pipes etc. their focal range is really short and they also have a pretty low frame rate that can be annoying.

The idea is still good. If they had some sort of video output jack then you could adapt it to all sorts of things. Personally the VDI is what I dislike about detecting and tend to go with my no frills Tejon. I even made a paddle for my primary discrim knob and tossed some glow in the dark duct tape on the coil and hunt at dusk with no problems.

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bluetooth in some form on your Ray-Bans in the coming years!

Or some sort of vid support.