New Member From Alaska

AK-Bandit

Hi there, I've been lurking this forum for a couple months and finally decided to create an account.

I grew up in Louisiana, and moved to Alaska the day after high school graduation in May of 2000. Some of my most fond childhood memories from down south are driving around to different civil war battlegrounds with my dad following him around and being his shovel guy while he metal detected. At the time I thought he was a wizard with his magical metal finding device because it seemed like he knew what was buried just by the tone of his old Fisher.

Fast forward to today, I've been in Alaska for almost 19 years. I've hiked, hunted, fished, rafted, fourwheeled, boated, and flown (buddies with planes) over quite a bit of this state. And all this time I've never had a metal detector in my hands. Now that metal detecting has recently become an interest to me, I just have to laugh when I think about all the hundreds of miles of remote areas I've been to, and not really ever giving any thought to what could be right under my feet.

Sorry for the long introduction. I've pretty much narrowed down my search for my first metal detector to the Minelab GM1000. But the Fisher Gold Bug 2 is really whats preventing me from just buying the GM1000 today. I'd just like to start scratching around for some Au while I'm out enjoying this beautiful state.

-Jay

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Jay! There should be an incredible history beneath your feet. 

Yep, if I wore a younger man’s boots I’d be in Alaska.

Good luck!

• Like 2